Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flagtruck

Ceramic tile experiments

flagtruck
14 years ago

I have been rolling this idea around in my head for awhile and finally decided to give it a whirl. I used some tiles I made of ceramics and for the final glaze firing I added bits and pieces of stained glass, some from some broken gazing balls, glass gems and some glass rod pieces I had for something (I can't remember what) Anyway here are the results as I fired these yesterday and like them so much I am trying another experimental firing today with more glass and one tile with marbles melted atop it. I will add those pics tomorrow after they cool off overnight. I have been putting this off thinking I had to have a special kiln for glass..but alas, I tried these in my small ceramic kiln and it worked just fine for what I was trying to accomplish. Not perfect, but suitable for me and lots of fun to try. No explosion or anything like that..lol

Here is a link that might be useful: tiles

Comments (16)

• kraftkrazy
    14 years ago

those are wonderful. i cant wait until i retire later this year, then i can take a ceramics class to make tiles.

• texaswild
    14 years ago

OK, you l'il heifer. I'll be paying you a visit next week.

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's some from yesterdays experiment..the white one is melted marbles.

Here is a link that might be useful: more tiles

• texasfern
    14 years ago

Great job. I have to say that that is the only time I miss my kiln is experimenting.
    I made some platters and crosses melting glass a while back and loved them.

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, just bring yourself on up here and we'll spearmint together..thanks for the great job stuff..I use my little kiln for most of my experimenting and my large one for lots of tiles and other ceramic stuff..I am making a lot of tinkling toadstools and mushrooms now. I think they would look great with mosaic on them.

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Hey, girlie: That one looks like an abstract painting. VERY nice. What are "tinkling" toadstools?

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    14 years ago

They are ceramic toadstools on long stems that tinkle when the wind blows..you'll see them when you come down here next week...Thanks all, I am having fun with this.

• Mermaid
    14 years ago

Flag, I'm loving these tiles. Can't you just see a kitchen with all of these tiles mixed together?? I think it would be awesome, course you already have a fantastic Fiestay kitchen but something about these 4" ones makes me think of putting them all together, maybe inside of one of those ole time windows..

Keep on 'sperimenting, I'm enjoying seeing all of the eye candy.

• texasfern
    14 years ago

I really need to take a road trip.
    All my kids are moving out August the first, and I am hoping to get myself back together and get my house and my mosaics back to working order.
    I wanna see the toadstools.

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

A KILN!!! Tinkling Toadstools!!! Your yard is so amazing!!! I cannot fathom what it must be like to be you and wake up to that kitchen every morning...and go out to that workshop!!! MAN! I Gotta get my butt down there to see you two(u&Slow)...A kiln....hmmm, my BDay is coming....nah, no way, Mr No would Never go for it....

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Janey- You know Slow and I keep tempting you and Cindy...just bring yourselves on/ Maybe we could have a big get together this fall when the weather gets cooler. I know it would be more enjoyable that this Texas heat..heat index 105-108 today. I was out cutting some stuff on the saw earlier and even wet and with a fan, the sweat was pouring off me. I will do you guys a picture of the toadstools, have to stick them in the ground to have them stand up,,so in the morning..too hot now. I think you could talk him into a kiln if you tried real hard...
    There is no lack of inspiration here or at Slow's. We go to each others house to get inspired. Don't forget to start saving and planning that trip now...it will be cheaper than PV.lol

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

Way cool!!! I love em!!!! Wouldn't want to be there right now, way too HOT for me!!! It's been 75 here the last few days....75/80 here is like 95/100 there though. But it's enough....I would wilt like a pice of lettuce!!!!!!!!

• katishooked
    14 years ago

Wow Flag, I am so impressed. Just think of the possibilities. You ought to patent this little gem of an idea. Love the tiles. I can imagine having a backsplash done with some of these.

Kat

• brendak_59
    14 years ago

I am more of a lurker here and love to see everyone's beautiful art. I just love your tiles. What great ideas that everyone comes up with.
    I too would like to see your toadstools.

• brendak_59
    14 years ago

BUMP

• daisyme
    14 years ago

Those are great, Flag! What a grand way to use up bits and pieces. Did they all turn out in their own interesting way? Were there things you'd tell us NOT to do from what you learned? They all look like they'd be pretty expensive to buy. Great experiment!

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz