Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texaswild

Fountain surround extension - WIP

texaswild
13 years ago

Ever since I finished the fountain surround and front fountain I've been wanting to extend the surround to cover the chain link fence and to add more mosaic to my back patio area. Got this much done today. My friend, Ronnie, and I started work at 10:00 am, and got this far by 4:00 pm. I did have the niche already made from last winter, and it was Ronnie's idea to put it where it is, and I LOVE his idea. It was over 95 degrees today, but we kept working. Don't know why I wait for hot weather to do outside projects.

Fountain surround extension

Comments (67)

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

WoW! You have done double the work today!!! Thanks for showing the yr later pic! LOVELY!! (luv the Frog Prince!)I don't see anything crooked...just a maniac's obsession! I have a pic of you from the Hacienda Mosaico, where you went like gangbusters and then flopped your head down on the table, sooo tired...the only thing that made you move was the promise of a nice big Margarita!!!!heh heh! I worked like mad all day too, got another 20+ plants in, helped Glen with the pond build, built myself a trellis to hang a GOG, it tried to rain on my parade...so I got out a 20x20 tarp and now my yard really does look like a 3 ring circus!!!ha! My pond is lookin' really good, but it sure looks plain jane compared to your fountain surround!!! I GOTTA get all this done so I can get a bling fix soon!!!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Jane. W/love to see pictures of your pond works. Know what you mean about so much to do. Many things to do in the gardens, and tons of things to do in the house, but this is such a pull. I well remember that picture. It's on the Hacienda's website along w/several others that we took that year - was it 2007? I'm taking a wonderful workshop next Jan. - to learn to make and paint the little niches we searched high and low for, and were so expensive. Take a look at the schedule - Jan. 9 - Laurie Zuckerman. W/sooooo love to see you, Cindy and anyone else from the forum, there next year. It w/be my fifth year. Probably won't leave the compound that trip - nothing downtown interests me - just hangin' out on the Hacienda's grounds is feast enough.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Finally, yesterday I finished a giant project of mulching all my flowerbeds. I should NOT have tried to mosaic today, but was so anxious to get back to the fountain surround, I glued a few tiles on b/f I fell apart. Working in upper 90s temps makes it hard for this old lady.
    BTW - just found out that the workshop I'd planned to take in PV has been cancelled. Gotta look for another one.
    Mosaicing Day 4

• soonergirl1968
    13 years ago

I just love looking at your albums!! You are quite an inspiration! :-)

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

Ya Slow! Working on it again! I will be going "awol" for a bit too due to gardening duties!Everytime I leave the house I come home with more plants!!! A Lady down the street...who puts Martha Stewart to shame...sells plants and I went there to buy a flat($5!!) and she ended up giving me 4 more flats for free cuz they are at the end of her patience, wants to see them gone!ha! YES! But now I have soooo much to plant! I have been on a iris obsession too,oops, and clematis...so GOTTA get planting...but I did buy a special drill bit for my next project,,, the fairey....will be drilling holes in her back(ouch) to attach her wings...which I have decided on a wing style! But Your Fountain Surround is TRULY looking AWESOME!!! I love the plate rounds and big swirls!! I can hardly wait to see what you do at the end...the tower/sconce! And the shrine! I don't see the crosses yet either...and what is gonna happen in front of this? will you be planting? I have a job interview next week...A sign from GOD...as it was a phone call from the Pastor's wife, she works at a Transition Home, and wants me there...I was so excited that I was talking to Cindy about maybe getting to join you at the Hacienda Mosaico again! She figured it sounded good too! So we shall see! I haven't forgotten about a Texas trip either!!!heh heh heh!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, SOONER and CALAM: I'm so excited for you both. SOONER - anxious to see you start your birdbath, and CALAM: I know what you mean about the plant obsession. Every spring I go wild and buy tons more plants than planned. Then all summer when maintenance calls me, I ponder about sizing down. Can't seem to pull that sizing down trigger yet, but it's coming for sure. Thrills me to see you consider PV again, and coming to TX. I would soooooo love to have y'all here for some time.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Forgot to answer your question, CALAM, about what I'm going to do in that corner. Ron and I are going to mosaic the ground w/bricks and tiles. I took out a Spirea but it was so deep I couldn't get the roots. We'll cover it w/plastic, sand, concrete and then mosaic it. It's such a useless corner. Congrats on your prospective job.

• flagtruck
    13 years ago

That is quite impressive and beautiful. I can't believe you have this much done with the heat we have had. I really like the niche and love the swirls, I can't seem to make them, I guess I am too balanced and can't make myself swirl? Is Ronnie working with you every day now? I can see where he is more help to you than he was last year. I guess by now you have him trained.
    Calam, that is great that you and Cindy may get to go to PV and meet Slow. I would love to come down there but I can't afford it, too rich for this poor girl.... I will just have to live it thru your adventures. But you still owe us a trip here to Texas, remember that.
    Keep up the good work Slow I'm lovin' it.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, FLAG. Heck no - wish I could afford to have a daily dose of Ron's help. All he did is help build the structure and put on the second coat of mortar. He still has more work to do, like filling the tall planter w/concrete up to the cone for stability. It's still a bit shaky, and then another piece of rebar behind the niche. When it's all mosaiced, we then w/mosaic the ground. Made quite a bit of progress yesterday, but w/get a late start today - making tomato sauce w/my homegrown tomatoes this morn.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Today's progress.
    Saturday's progress

• flagtruck
    13 years ago

That's quite a lot of progress for today Queen Lady. I wish I had done as much. I had to clean out and defrost my big freezer this am as I have 50# of fresh hamburger meat coming this afternoon. The freezer needed defrosting anyway, so all is clean and organized again awaiting the meat. Whew glad that job is done.
    I Love the colors and the tiles you have used on this. Quite a combination, but I love em. Looking good,

• loribee2
    13 years ago

Wow! I just looked over all 193 photos of your house and projects. I'm absolutely overwhelmed. (Just starting my first mosaic project with stepping stones and just found this forum yesterday). I swear your album is an explosion of inspiration! If you were in my family, the joke would be your hubby has to keep moving or you'd start slathering him with mortar. LOL

I think my favorites are the rooster and that darling sea monster.

I'm so thrilled to find this forum as I'm determined to master the art of concrete and mosaic. I've been on the garden forums and thought the hypertufa was all this site offered, but this is way closer to the type of thing I want to do in my yard. Looking forward to spending the next few weeks browsing your posts and pictures and learning from the masters!

• wackyweeder
    13 years ago

Good to see some more progress on this! I love those plate centers!

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

Don't know what happened to my last post on this but will say 2 words> Gang Busters!!! > Love it! Those daiseys really POP! And see that you are working on the shrine now too! Is taht a lovely orange hibiscus in the foreground? Lovely flower whatever it is!!! I bet the pics don't even come close to doing this justice!!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, y'all, and LORI - we're glad you found us too. Anxious to see your WIP as soon as you start. CALAM: Yes, it's a Hibiscus, and you're right - no photo can capture the total beauty of my patio and it's surroundings. You gotta come see me to experience it. I started on the niche today but don't know if I like it yet - not sure the bottle tops w/stay.
    Sunday's progress

• texaswild
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LORI: I forgot to mention that those 194 images are in "My Queendom" album. There are many more images if you want to check out the "All Albums" option. Many thanks for looking.

• nanatricia
    13 years ago

That is looking great!!! I love it.

• wackyweeder
    13 years ago

Love the bottle tops! Did you use a bottle cutter?

• texaswild
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks NANA and WACKY. If y'all like it, I guess the bottle tops w/stay. WACKY: I used the tile saw to cut the bottles. Does a great job.

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

WOW!!! I LOVE the bottle tops!!! I like cutting bottles too! I brought home a bunch of bottles last yr and cut them down to the last 4 inches of the bottle and had my church gals over and decorated them for candle holders...it was fun! I just ground down the top edge on my glass grinder to make sure no sharp edges(even tho the tile saw does that)It's funny cuz I have a similar idea for some blue bottles I have...now I am SURE I will do as you did Slow!!! I think your bottle tops make it All Over The TOP!!! Ingenious! I'm down to my last 40 plants or so to be planted!yes! So will get to play soon!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Slow work last two days - cutting bottles and tiles. I sorta like the niche so far, using the bottle bottoms around the face. I colored the mortar w/charcoal. The large cross is made of backerboard, covered in mortar. The copper is tubing flatened and textured. Small crosses - two layers of mortar and slivers from the roll of foil from CALAM. I'm still looking for a way to use lots of it, CALAM. Most of the inside w/be covered in mirror tiles. and I'll leave the crosses untouched - as is.
    Mo day 9

• flagtruck
    13 years ago

WOW! You never cease to amaze me. You must not be doing anything but this as it is going so fast. I think all you have done is beautiful and unique. Keep up the good work, I wish I had your energy.

• nanatricia
    13 years ago

Yep!!! Flag said it all

• texaswild
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, y'all. To me it is going very slowly. Even though I'm enjoying the process, I want it DONE already. Dread the grouting. Should be doing housework, cuz my housekeeper comes next week (we're deep-cleaning) and I don't want her to see the house so dirty, and there's still gardening to do but I'm obsessed again w/mosaicing. Wish I didn't have other things to do cuz I have so many ideas twirling in my head.

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

Oh SLOW!!! LOVE the bottle pcs!!! WOW! The sconce is great, and the CROSSES are perfect! Love the red tile! I soo wanna do some stuff but am still working on some big yard changes...arbors/gog trellis/birdhouse trellises/new beds/etc, plus got a job(hopefully will be part time/casual, so it doesn't impede on my fun time!lol) Can hardly wait to see a stand back pic of all this done!!! (Wish I was there to have the honor of grouting this baby!!!)

• creativebutmessy
    13 years ago

Hi Slow, I'm Tracy from Australia and have just joined the site today. Your work is absolutely fantastic!!!!! I spend soooo long looking at all the detail in your creations. I love doing mosaics and would really love to learn how you do the three dimensional ones that you are so good at. Is there a link that you could give me that goes into detail about how to make the wire forms and what sort of mix makes up the structure? I would appreciate any help you could give me. Thanks (I'm so excited to have found this site and particularly your work!)

• texaswild
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Welcome to the forum, Tracy - so nice to have new people, and thanks for your sweet compliments. Re the structures, I took Wouterina (Riana) daRaad's workshop in 2007 in Puerto Vallarta. The structure is made up of two layers of the diamond lathe mesh, using 17, 18 or 19 gauge wire to stitch it together (make a piece of wire about 6" long, a crook at one end for your needle). You push the "needle" through your structure, pull out, twist, and w/your lineman pliers clip as closely as possible w/o cutting your stitch. Riana mixes one part Portland Cement to three parts sand to cover the structure. I use Quikrete Mortar Mix. W/gloved hand you mold the mixture between the layers and gently smooth it over the whole project as much as possible. For the tub of the front fountain, I used three layers of lathe and multiple layers of mortar. On the present project I put two layers of mortar to cover some of the rough spots where my stitching wasn't neat, and to make it sturdier. Then the fun begins. Anything you can sculpt w/the lathe, just go over it w/a second layer of lathe, stitch it together and you have a very sturdy project. This method w/hold up in any climate. I'm giving you Riana's website. Best thing - why not take one of her workshops? I'll be happy to answer any more questions you might have.
    Riana's website

• creativebutmessy
    13 years ago

The thing I really love about the forums on this site is the fact that people are so happy to share information. Thankyou so much Slow for being so generous with yours. I can't wait to have a go at making something - just need to find where I can buy the lathe etc near to where I live. What a shame Riana is so far away because I'd love to do one of her workshops.
    I'll definately post some photos when I get started. I have some other projects on the go at the moment that I must finish first though. mmmmmmmm I think I need at least three lifetimes to do all the creative things that I'd like to do.
    You are an inspiration Slow! Your work is beautiful and I really appreciate your help. I look forward to seeing more pics of this project as you progress.
    Cheers
    Tracy

• texaswild
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, TRACY: Anxious to see some pictures when you begin, but w/love to see some of your present work. Didn't get to work today and won't tomorrow, but Saturday w/find me at it again. Lots of us share the same frustration - wish we didn't have to sleep or stop to do other chores. We just want to mosaic the world.

• stjohnsgypsy
    13 years ago

OMG.........................over the moon! LOVE

• moosaics_cher
    13 years ago

Your fountain is outstanding....! Something incredible from scratch, awesome! Great job

• texaswild
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks GYPSY and MO. Day 11 I think. The niche isn't what I wanted but as GYPSY says - it is what it is and it's there to stay.
    Mo day 11

• creativebutmessy
    13 years ago

Slow, you are amazing!!!!!! This is absoltely fantastic and what a mammoth project it is. Is there any more to do or are you finished now? I love your choice of colours and the 'drama' of the whole piece. You are so clever.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, CREATIVE: Lots more to do on the back side of the low wall on the right - the original stopping place. Then there are a few areas on the back above the fence that I can reach. Most of the time that area is covered w/the neighbor's junk vines, but I'll do what I can. THEN, of course, I already have my eye on another extension on the right side of the fountain - about the same size as this extension, then I'll be done. My helper said "uh huh - that's what you said last year, and I'll be glad to help you w/it."

• realrose
    13 years ago

WOW!!!!!!!!!! What more to be said, everyone has said it all. Absolutely beautiful. I can't imagine doing anything so large. It is something to be very proud of. Excellent job.

• nanatricia
    13 years ago

O Yessssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So over the top .

• flagtruck
    13 years ago

THE RIGHT SIDE?????You will be into your bbq grill and next thing we know you will have the whole fence line done!
    Beautiful and I like the niche.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, y'all. FLAG - just to the next post, and that's just b/f the grill. If I were younger, I'd do the whole fence, but I'm losing strength, and don't think I better go any further than the next post.

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

Already thinkin' of more!!!heh heh! Well I LOVE the niche, really like the mirror circles on the base!!! AND I have to say, that whatever time you took the pic, was REALLY working for ya cuz it just shows off the colors of everything Perfectly!!!Now to stand back and take a pic of the wholeness for us!!! LOVELY!!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Except for a few touchups/polishing, this monster is finished. While eyeing the other side, after the work involved in this, this 75 year old body thinks I'll just make a giant curlique swooping upward and call it finished. It's only 90.7 degrees - tomorrow is predicted to be 100. Glad to be finished. Now for the cleanup. Showing what it looked like out there b/f the mosaicing mess started collecting. Dread the cleanup!
    Grouted and finished

• cathyscache
    13 years ago

Hey SLOW: You never siece to amaze me!!! Beautiful! I've been unable to work for some time (neck thing), but believe I'm going to get a project together and start tomorrow or the next day. Have so missed working. Can hardly stand it. I'll post tomorrow if I get started on something. Cathy

• creativebutmessy
    13 years ago

Well Slow, take a bow!!!!!!!!!!! You are amazing and such an inspiration. Thankyou so much for sharing this with us all. I am totally blown away - not only by the project, but by how 'young' you are. I hope I can replicate your magnificence when I am as young as you!!!!!!!!!

• nanatricia
    13 years ago

Well girl you did it again and it is GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.I also love your patio .I also hope I can still do this at 75.

• calinromania
    13 years ago

mmm... i'd like to sip a coffee in that colorful paradise!
    but i need a visa and a plane ticket.
    LOL

• texaswild
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, y'all. Appreciate your comments. CATH and CALIN: 'bout time y'all showed up around here. Been missing you both. CREATIVE and NANA: I keep trying to outrun old age, but some days I feel it's gaining on me faster. I just keep runnin'.

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

Oh Slow, What can I say!!! Wonderous!!!! L.O.V.E. your patio...looks cool and shady! I am ready to spraypaint my clear plastic roof as it is about as hot a Hades!!!lol! DH vetoed to uv protection roof as he deemed it too much money..ya. Well you have inspired me to go wild with it and maybe paint a mosiac style!!!lol! Each square/checkered...hmmm. I am building a arbor with trellises on either side and have finally made a decision about the GOG that's going in it! Yeehaw! And now that my pond is built, I plan to BLING it up with dangly stuff off the pergola that's over it. I am so gonna paint and bling up my chairs/furniture now that I see yours...YOU sooooo Inspire me!!!! Did I mention that I plan to have a peach tree grow along side the deck/house, then up under the deck roof, and it will be like a green house for it!!! I love the little frog lamp you have, I just was given a turtle one!! Well, it's cookin' here, so I better get out there watering!!! Now enjoy that masterpc of yours Slow!!!!

• kraftkrazy
    13 years ago

your work never ceases to amaze me...i started taking a stained glass class again and a lady there has started mosaicing,,,she was looking for inspiration and i told her to join this forum and look at all the beautiful creations in your piece of paradise..love the fountain surround!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, CALAM, and KRAFT: W/love to visit your deck, CALAM. Yeah, I do love my patio play area, and guess I lean to the wild side. I'm waiting on Ronnie to get time to come and mosaic the ground in the corner, and make plans for the other side. In the meantime, I'm puttering in the gardens, deadheading/clipping/pruning and neatening up. They are a little wild and scraggly in spots, but are in full bloom.

• moosaics_cher
    13 years ago

$20 bucks you start tiling the outside walls of your house before long lol. There is noooooooooooo slowing you down woman! What a fun, enchanting environment!
    Cher

• texaswild
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pay up, MOO: Already did make a start. Check out a piece on my back yard wall, and a few lines up - my front door.