Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicethyme

sidonea project, part 2

nicethyme
14 years ago

I take a lesson from Slow and realize my last thread was probably taking too long to open.. so here's my latest wip pic.

I decided to do several grout colors and realized I should do it now BEFORE I tile the rest, so I taped off the birds and branches and grout the green last night.

Comments (64)

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

oh DOH! I forgot to add in the last post what we came up with today. and that is - we are going to donate a print to the special ed classrooms of all of the area school systems.

• flagtruck
    14 years ago

Well, you have made me speechless again...this project is just aweinspiring...I love it and you never cease to amaze me at the things you have included....beautiful..

• kraftkrazy
    14 years ago

every time i look at the picture i see something new and i am truly in awe of all the work you put into this and the talent and creativity you have. it is truly amazingly beautiful. also, i went to michaels today and was looking in the clearance section and they have several charms on clearance that reminded me of the ones on your tree. if you have need of more items, or if you ever intend to do one of these again, you might want to take a look there and see what they have.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thankyou Flag and Kraft

I have gone through and grouted each bird in its own color and then I made a brown and grouted the tree. I can finally start the background - YAY!!!! lol

• emtnest
    14 years ago

Wow, that is really something..you have just done a beautiful job on this. Can you tell us again what you are doing with it? Was it for a little girl? What is sidonea? I know, lots of questions but it's just so amazing ...

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

Oh YES!!! I was hoping for brown on the tree trunk!!! LOVELY job on Everything!!!! Now I'm excited to see what you do for a background...will it be crash glass? Or blue glass...oh, maybe mirror!!! I'm sure it will be yet another perfect decision!!!!

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Yeah, CALAM has me guessing too. That was a smart idea to have different colors grout. I just noticed the little swirlies on the tips of some branches - WONDERFUL.

• fldirt
    14 years ago

This is truly amazing. Every time I look at it, I see something i haven't seen before! Can't wait to see it completed.

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

so beautiful!!!!!! I love the different grout colors...can not wait to see what your going to use for background!!!! What a lovely piece...Sidney will be estactic!!!!!!

• squirrellycanadian
    14 years ago

Beautiful, amazing, awesome, can't wait to see more!

• Mermaid
    14 years ago

NT, did you make special poly clay green men for this project, or are these just ones you've made before and discovered perfect for this work of art??

Just curious I love it, love it love it. I used to babysit for a girl who had cerebral palsy but she couldn't even sit up, your Sid is going to be one lucky girl!!

And i predict with the professional photographer , this wins some awards and/or gets a write up in a mosaic book!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

EMT I'm making it as a gift to a 10 yr girl with no mobility. It just started out as making something engaging for her to study then HRSG suggested I get prints made to benefit her charity acct, so we'll be selling prints and post cards as a fundraiser at some point. A profecssional art photographer is coming next month to shoot it for me (I really need to make some serious progress)

thanks you all for all the support in your comments - I feel like this is going on forever and seeing your remarks really helps (I always imaging Calamity humming the Rocky theme for me!) LOL

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I apoligize for these crappy pics but at least they show what I'm doing in the background

• kraftkrazy
    14 years ago

beautiful, absolutely beautiful, take your bows proudly!!!!! if they have a cd for mosaic art 5, 2009, that should be included. or in the mosaic now magazine.

• texaswild
    14 years ago

OHMYGOODNESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! Oh, NT - I sooooooo love that background. The tree seems to be dancing and singing. It's such a joyful sight. WHAT A PIECE THIS IS!!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL! whew, I was so scared of messing up at this stage! I have been working with it sideways on my bench and would'nt allow myself to bring it up and get a view until I had this much done... mostly because I was afraid that I would panic and change the background. LOL I had figured on those unglazed tiles so the wouldn't compete with the bling but when I got this thought on the color change and ordered all these colors I got a little freaked out because I could'nt imagine it altogether. I wrote to Linlee about it and she gave me a pep talk and suggested I see if I could work in a moon and rising sun so I have to give her kudos on that! I adore the moon - can you believe that was a piece of scrap glass that someone gave to my Dh (when they heard I "do glass")

I'll tell ya though, I am not good at keystoning and this will probably be the last time I do that andamento - unless I lose my mind!

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

Love the moon!!! It looks like a magical moonlit night to me!!! Love the blended colors on the background!!! (The Rocky theme seems so appropiate since this is such a KNOCKOUT!!!)lol!(And I don't know the theme for Wonder Woman(does she have a theme? What's wrong with That?!)heh heh! Yup, This is such a natural progression of all your talent...I always think...How can she Ever top this project(past projects)...and then You do!!!!WOW!

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

OMG!!! OMG!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love the background!!! It is absolutely beautiful!!!!!! Sets of the true to a tee!!! Couldn't be more perfect!!! What a wonderful piece you have created!!!!!!!! Can't wait to see it finished!! Just amzing it is!!!!!!! U should be sooooooooo proud!!!!

• nanatricia
    14 years ago

Girl every one has said it for me!!!!!!!!!!! It is out standing .I can not say enough !!!!!!1

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm getting closer to the END!!!! yeah

• flagtruck
    14 years ago

WAY TO GO! You and Slow put the rest of us to shame...beautiful job and I know you are glad you are towards the end. I still say this makes me speechless. It is so original..you should be proud...great job.

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Little girl: I have run out of words to tell you how much I love this project. Your gradation on the background is just plain genius. I had wondered - just a teensy - if the background w/show up the wonderful tree. This couldn't be a more perfect choice. Wish I had your talent. This little number w/bring a handsome sum at any gallery in the country. What a blessed child and home to be the recipients of such a marvelous piece of art, and for free. This w/be enjoyed to the fullest. You are truly a talented artist w/a huge heart. Bless you.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh Flag and Slow... you guys blow me away - thank you so much for your praise of this piece. I am so thrilled with how its coming together. Until yesterday I was ALSO nervous that the background was overwelming it - then I got it up and stepped back to see it glowing like this and it felt magical - I CANNOT WAIT to see Sidney's reaction!

of course I have to get through the grouting first - I'm hoping to get a color grdadtion to happen with it also

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

I love the "dots" in the sky, what are they? And what is happening with the white part in the middle!!??? The graduating color is spectacular!! Just let us know when those prints are available!!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hey Janey! the dots are a combo of BBs, ear rings and plate shards with a star print

the white section is what I have left TO DO... (The end is near)

• calinromania
    14 years ago

just.... WOW!
    i want your imagination!
    :)

• texaswild
    14 years ago

OHMYGOODNESS - how perfect are those shards w/stars. Thanks for the closeup. Can't quite tell what shape the earrings are. Oh - the grouting. Don't envy you there, especially w/the gradation. Oh, don't say the end is near - this has been so much fun to watch, I hate to see it go away. You're gonna have to think hard to top this one, girlie. I think CALAM said it recently - w/every project, it's a wonder and surprise to see you top the last one.

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

You know, I look at this thread everyday..from the beginning...and my old eyes couldn't see that that space was empty(What I said was white)SHEESH! Now I see it... and it's amazing how the stars and BBs add to the whole evening effect!! A Wonder!!! How ya gonna do the grad color? Color wash?

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

Oh the stars and BB 's in the make the tree seem to DANCE in the night!!!! Great addition to the background!! Can't wait to see it finished!! Sidney is gonna jump for joy!!! You must have a cmaera ready when she sees it!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Cal, Slow, Calam and Cathy

I was getting the last of it on last night when it became clear that I was going to run out of the dark blue tile. No time to order because I leave on a trip soon and photography is set for the day after I return...

After exploring different options it finally hit me to deconstruct the top corners and bring the black down further, giving me those blues. Thankfully I had left over black to fill with.

ready for grout and a side treatment of some kind, micro marbles in the peacock tail...and sealant and cleaning and hangers and ... give it away!

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Can hardly tell a difference in your changes. The gradation is absolutely PERFECT. You are a GENIUS!!!! As I said, I hate to see this one go cuz it's been so much fun to watch. Truly - the tree dances w/delight. This project is almost alive w/joy.

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

Slow, You said it!!! It's alive with joy!!! It does dance with delight! Gorgeous work Nice, and hope your travels are safe and fun!!!

• squirrellycanadian
    14 years ago

It truly is amazing! It's one of those projects that I see something different every time I look at it....I love that! I could never in a million years do something as creative as this, I'm always in awe of your creativity and imagination!!

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

It is PERFECT!!! The background is lovely...I am so PROUD for you and Sidney!!! Hope to see it grouted tonight .

• fldirt
    14 years ago

I have been watching your tree come to life. All i can say is ; NOTHING. YOUR CREATIVITY AND IMAGINATION IS BEYOND WORDS.
    Thanks so very much for allowing us the pleasure of watching this grow.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, Slow, Jane, Squirrelly and Cathy

Fldirt, it thrills me that people I don't even know, are watching this. Thank you so much!

I'm working on that color gradation grout process

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

WOW!!! You are doing all the colors at the same time?!!!! WOW!!! Love it!

• nanatricia
    14 years ago

Girl evey one has said it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ITS DONE!!!!! yeah... whew

• texaswild
    14 years ago

I've never seen a more perfect job of gradation in tiles and grout, and the result on a piece of art. I mean - that background was MADE for the happy, dancing tree w/all it's delights. It is absolutely priceless! The word masterpiece is sometimes over used, but it definitely fits this work. NT - you've really produced something unforgettable. I don't have words enough to describe my admiration for the art AND the artist. Congratulations on a - well - here's where I'm speechless. I think you know what I mean. You're a real piece of work yourself, little girl. I love you!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OH you brought me to TEARS! thank you Slow - for everything!

• flagtruck
    14 years ago

She brought me to tears too as she has taken words out of my mind..you deserve all the praise you get for this...you are truly an artist and I admire you so much for finishing this with such a fanfare. It is beautiful and very well presented. I am truly speechless...beautiful beyond words is all I can think of to describe your achievement. I am very proud to say I knew her when....you go lady...this is really a masterpiece.

• texasfern
    14 years ago

What Flag said. I cannot even begin to add to that.
    May I save this on my desktop?

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

What can be added...I'm in tears....

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

Nice it is truly a remarkable piece of ART!!!! I sooo LOVE IT!!!!! And I'm sure that little Sidney is going to as well!!! How absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!!! You did the most wonderful job!!!!! WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!
    The tree is DANCING to the music of the BIRDS!!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Texasfern, of course you may save it. Thank you all. The photographer was here today so the print plans are underway. we will be doing 16x24" giclee prints and 6"x8.5" postcards I'm working at keeping the prices reasonable and of course it will all be used for the benefit of Sidney. The SDCPF provides financial assistance towards equipment and therapy not covered by medicare. In the past that has been items such as a specialized bathchair, a handicap accessible van, a stroller...

• jmck_nc
    14 years ago

nicethyme,
    Will these prints be available online? If so, can you tell us where? I'd LOVE to have a print of this beautiful artwork..and for a good cause too!
    Judy

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Judy, when we have finalized the pricing and have the products in hand I will post how to contact me to place an order... we just have to finish sourceing mailing tubes but we think the prints will be 30.00 US plus shipping and cards will probably be 5 for 10 - not sure on that yet.

Thank you for the compliment and yes it is going to a very good cause - as well as the art. I promise I will post pics when we surprise her with it - should be soon

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

Oh so reasonably priced...it's gonna look sooooo good and inspiring in my Art Room!!! I'll have to get a pic of you to put beside it!!! Sheesh! I just thought...a whole wall could be devoted to all your awesome artworks!!! There are so many you have done that I love...sheesh...everybody here would be on the walls...hey where'd my walls go!!!lol! But seriously....I Love this Forum!!!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

the beginnings of the project are linked below

Here is a link that might be useful: Sidonea part 1

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm