Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tumbling Stoneware?

Posted by lynnich (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 3, 08 at 18:37

I am a relative newbie to mosaic work & have a couple of questions that I'll post separately in hopes for some advice from the experts here ....
Here is my 1st question: I read the "Tumbling" post on the FAQ & tried putting the pieces of Pfaltzgraff stoneware in my old ice cream maker w/ water & dish soap for 45 minutes but the edges really didn't seem any smoother when I finished. Any other suggestions? TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tumbling Stoneware?

I tumble stuff anywhere from four hours to five days. I stop the tumbler, open the barrel, reach in and check out one piece to see how it's going. I like to tumble stained glass for five days to get a beach glass look and feel. But some things such as nipped plates I only tumble for a few hours just to take off the sharp edges.

o

oh no, don't tell me I need another piece of equipment - a tumbler - I better start reading the FAQ section myself. Thx for the heads up lynnich as I am a very newbie too. Welcome.

o

For glass, I just tumble a half hour or so, just to take the sharpness off. Just glass and water. For plates, if I want a smoother look I tumble for 4-8 hours with a little coarse grit.

o

Harbor freight tools has some great tumblers for under 40 dollars.

o

when you guys do plate shards, does it chip the finishes?

o

Not so far NT. I got a nice rounded finish. Some I left in there longer for that. I've tried 3 or four different plates and broke up a plain blue ceramic tile..no chips.

o

Cool, thanks

o

I forgot, though, one plate I tried, the pattern faded (pretty uniformly). I think checking them often is the key to get the look you want

o

Be aware that gold trim and anything iridescent will be taken off by tumbling - - unless you tumble for a very short time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here