Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fountain Surround Thread II

Posted by slowmedown (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 7, 09 at 18:09

Too tired to chat - yard work and this - doesn't look like much progress, but after yard work it was a L.O.T. W/answer questions later.
Sunday's progress

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fountain Surround Thread II

Sorry Slow, PB is photobucket.....

o

BRAVO! You got a lot done considering. I was in the beds all day weeding, I got my door grouted Fri and cleaned a little on it yesterday. You are making lots of progress on yours. Believe me, I understand about yard taking 1st for awhiile.

o

Oh, rats. I forgot and posted an answer to FIDDLE on the other thread. FLAG: Jan and I w/be at your garden tour on Thursday, to see that door in place.

o

Slow the speed in which you progress astounds me!!!! It's looking fantastic!!! The face looks like a cool cat w/sunglasses!!!!! I'm lovin it!!

o

So.. that is what the queen says not getting much done!! What a hoot!! It's amazing, I love each and every piece of tess and placement on this great wall of Slow!!

Question, how long does the concrete need to cure before you start mosaicing?? I really want to try one of those concrete mushrooms and hypertufa planters..

can't wait to watch the finishing touches to this great work of a art!!

Oh, I have a book called Creative Garden Mosaics, by Jill McCay and I think she uses Rianna's method or something very similar - 2 layers of mesh, but she puts steel wool in her fiber cement mixture. and her slurry is just cement and grout admix You push your mixture in between the two layers..

o

Lord have mercy upon my stupid self!!!! I was only gonna grout the left corner behind where the fountain part sits so I can set the fountain up. I couldn't find a stopping place. I'm half DEAD. Is if five o'clock somewhere?????? Where's the tequila? MER: W/love to see the book by Jill McCay - don't believe I know of her. Yes, I have heard of people putting fibers in their cement mixture, but I don't think it's necessary. Riana makes her own adhesive and grout, using the sand and cement. She said she doesn't put the admix in, but I forgot what reason she gave. Re curing for mosaics, covered, overnight is all that she taught us, and yes, the concrete goes in between the two layers. W/wet gloves it's nice to smooth it out a bit. Mine has lots of warts, but w/the shards, they cover pretty easily. Man, the grouting is tough on the ground. The grout/thinset drys ultra fast, so I have to use water to clean it up, which I don't do w/straight grout. If any of you try this grout/thinset combo, do just a small area at a time to avoid the hard cleanup. Thanks for your compliments, y'all.
Monday's progress - week four

o

We just got in after a weekend out. I hope you found your tequila, Slow! I know the grouting is hard, but everything looks fabulous. I'll check back in another couple of days.

o

yes it is looking great!!!You know I have heard you are supose to wait 25 days before you mosaic on cement after you have made it but I make my own mushrooms are any thing eles I might make with no prob.
One thing I have learned is we all have our way of doing things .You have to do what works for you . (I hate thinset as groutHA!)You are doing so good .I wish I had tour get up and go .

o

NANA - I don't love it for grout either, but it sure is insurance that nothing's gonna move off anything it grouts. Riana's workshop taught us that we can mosaic after it's covered overnight. It's just a thin layer of concrete. I mosaiced the column in my front garden after about six days. I'm sure if it were solid, one should wait longer.

o
RE: Fountain Surround Thread II - and

WACKY: Call me even MORE stoooooopid - I had never noticed comments in my PB AT ALL, until this morn, when I was trying to figure out their new system. I got all confused, and posted a picture of the legs some place, then created a new album - Garden Junk, into which I posted a picture of those. I noticed "comments" on some of the pictures - and NEVER had noticed that part b/f. GEESH - I'm dense.

o

DAH HANGGGGGG its really progressing GREAT! and fast... I feel like a slug after this LOL

o

Slow, I totally understand about what they did to Photobucket, I'm having trouble figuring out what is going on too. LOL.

thanks for the info. Here is the book by Jill Mccay from Amazon. I bet you can get it from your local library.
If you can'f find it, let me know, and I can send you my copy- as long as you promise to send it back to me when you're done, it's a keeper. LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: amazon link

o

Hey gang, i haven't been able to get on to Garden Web since last thurs. Had to reset puter. Almost went to hospital for withdrawals. LOL.. Slow I absolutely love this surround you're doing. For all of us that are following by internet it seems like it is going fast. But I am sure you are feeling it. LOL Beautiful job. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

o

Mer: Thanks for that link. I meant to go directly from the forum yesterday to Amazon, but got so busy I never got back to the computer all day. I just ordered a used copy. Many thanks for your offer. Thanks, KAT - have to halt the operation here, as my DD is coming for the weekend. Cleaning that patio off yesterday took nearly the whole day. It's all stacked in the workshop for later sorting **sigh**. NT - yeah, but just look at the quality of your work - THAT's an artist!!! Mine is slap and stick.

o

Clean up??? Are you all finished mosaicing???? WOW!

o

Heck no, CALAM. Just had to get the mountain of stuff off the patio table cuz my DD and I eat out there the whole weekend she's here. It was a HORROR. I'm finished w/lots of the tools and tess that was piled high, so it was time to clear things out. I'll start in again on Monday. I couldn't resist setting the fountain back up, and of course, the plants. Probably premature, but once I get started, there's no stopping. I'll cover everything up when I start grouting the right side. This is a half-a$$ed way of doing things - sorta a poor girl's ideas of garden decor, but hey, I like it, so guess that's all that matters, huh?
Plants going in

o

well call me a poor girl and move me to TEXAS! I can hear the fountain, the shapes, the mosaics, the plants... its an artistic heaven!!!

o

Good grief... in just a couple of days look what you've accomplished! I gotta keep checking every day from now on! :)
Thanks for writing on the end of the other thread, Slow... I found it and appreciate it. I've been using the thinset to both stick and grout on some s. stones but wanted to check and see if it's still working for you. Obviously everything is working for you! :)
Love what you've done!
I hope.. that one time when we can take a slow trip to family in TX we'll maybe be able to stop by and say hello and see your wonderful yard!
I retired (again :) yesterday so hope to have more time!
Thanks again! I'll post some pics. here soon.

o

My goodness, Slow, you never cease to amaze me! You are my idol!

o

Hey!!! Lovely!!! Won't that Girlie of Yours be Suprised to see all this!!! Has she been by since you had the new front door/patio valance/this done??

o

LOVE IT...SMD!
wonder what my parents are gonna say if i start such a corner... in their yard. guess they'd freak out.
but i am sticking to interior decorations still.
:)
i know it's a whole new thing making mosaics for the outdoors. i am still new to the indoor ones.

love it!

i like the deep blue sea piece!
and the left part as you look at it. with the round "flowers"...

o

Slow it looks wonderful with the plants back in and all. Gorgeous. I know it's a sin, but I am coveting. LOL Ok gang re the book that Mermaid talked about, I went to half.com and searched it by title. Can be picked up for about $8. I also searched mosaics and found several that I think I'm going to order. I have used this sight for reading books for 5/6 years and have had no probs. Thot I'd share a little saving tip.

Kat

o

NT: LOL. LOVE where I live, for sure. CALAM: No, DD hasn't seen any of the changes, other than through photos. This w/be a full weekend, w/dancing, gardening (visiting nurseries), and enjoying the new patio decor. FIDDLE: Nothing w/please me more than for you to visit - overnight welcome, too. Where in TX is your family? I'm right off I-30, 30 min. east of Hope, AR. RCHOVEY: Thanks - I saw your comment on my PB site. Sorry I didn't answer, just found that PB now has comments section. I only take time to monitor this forum. Thanks, for your comments, though. CALIN: You w/be dynamite outside - you're already addicted, so we're gonna be watchin' you. Thanks, KAT, and all of you supporters.

o

That w/be WEST of Hope. Sorry about that.

o

OH MY GOODNESS GIRLIE! I see what you mean by the plants added...I like it. I must bring you some of my lime green plants to go at the base of the mondo grass under the fountain...I will trade you some for some of that fern that seems to grow wild around your place...great job, love the fountain set up and the plants really make the scene complete. You go girl...greaat.

o

Kat, great idea for the book site, i forgot all about them.

SLow... soooooo slooowwwwwwww.. has your DD gone so you can get back to the great wall??? maybe you can enlist her help so you can give us our fix!!LOL.

Did you get your book yet?? Whatcha think?? I think she does do things similar to Riana. But you know what I love the most about Riana?? She doesn't have all these fancy new tools or special products, she just uses basic stuff.

While I love Shari Hunter's stuff, she now uses these expensive products, while I am sure they really work well, it's still more things to buy that takes away from money spent on the important things like shards, tess... LOL

o

Just had to stop in and tell you how magical and fantastic and STUNNING this is!!!! WOW oh WOW oh WOW!!!!!
You will always be the Queen!!!

o

The Queen in her Queendom. I saw this fountain surround today and it is more beautiful in person. It is fabulous and very beautiful. I also did a pic or two of Slow at work....she is a case...love the hat. You can see them all at my Flickr site....this was fun, and then the Huzzy gave me so many plants, I will be planting for awhile. Calamity you should be here...wonder if we could ship plants to you?

Here is a link that might be useful: Queen at work.

o

ROFL, thanks for those action shots! dang its amazinbg in pics I can't fathom it up close and IRL - you lucky gal!

o

I forgot to tell you all that I also got to see in banners inside of Slow's patio and they are to die for. These are really superb...she does good work...and I am so lucky that she is coming down here tomorrow...I can't wait as I am sure she will inspire me...This lady is incredible, I wish all of you lived close enuf to experience her. It is a once in a lifetime experience.

o

YUP!!! Ditto what Flag says!!! This is a pic of Slow after she whipped up her Nicho and had another thing made before we all had our 1st project done, at the Mexico class we did!!! This is a poor quality pic as I took a pic of a pic in a 5 pic frame that hangs on my wall...that I see every morning when I wake up!!! Ahhh the girls in Mexico!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: SlowMeDown...Margarita Time

o

Well if y'all don't beat all! MER - no, haven't gotten the book yet - forgot all about it. Yeah, when Riana told us in PV that she didn't know what a wheeled nipper was we were all in shock. Her tools are simple - a regular tile nipper, and her stash is very small - mostly natural rocks. She enjoys making the sculptures - not the tiling. Boy, could we be a team. FLAG - you BRAT - told you not to get my face. I'll see you today, and I'm bringing Toby to tear you up. CALAM: I think the 'rita "Slowedmedown". Er, uh, do I feel pressured to get back to the wall??? Hope to get back into high gear tomorrow - been working in the gardens since DD left on Sunday - how about six hrs. each for the last two days, and it's in the upper 90s. Oh, the TX summers.

o

Looking at your work is just so inspiring.

I very respectfully say: "Ole' Ole' Ole'"!!!!!

o

You were worried about your face? Id be worried if my big butt was turned toward the camera! You look awesome even in your grouting duds!

o

That too, WACKY, was what worried me - rear end in the air - scraping the dirt away and getting ready for today's progress, which isn't much, but it's 92 degrees here, and I still have garden work going on. Miserable, w/no rain in sight.
Friday's progress

o

Beautiful! I love me a Slowmedown checkered border!

o

Lookin GOOD Slow!!!!!!!!! We had ritas on the deck last night!!! YUMMY!! And mama moose and baby joined us!!! So cute they are when they are little!! Can't wait to see more, get to work!!! LOL

o

Thanks, y'all. CATHY: I'm workin' I'm workin' - it's hot, hot, hot. I filled in the heart window pane last evening, so the planter was covered today. Hope to start on the other and final planter tomorrow. Soooooooo hard working on the ground.
Saturday's progress

o

WOW!!! I LOVE it!!! I just Love those planters!!!

o

Slow, this is just over the top!!
I sure do wish I lived closer so I could come over and watch you work (heck, I might even help!)

Holy dawg snot!

o

Well, thanks for that, CALAM and BAMA. Man, I could sure use some help. Grouting starts tomorrow. W/probably take me three days cuz it's blazing hot here. Just glued the last tile on the last planter. I'm glad this puppy is getting near the end. Has been enjoyable most of the time, but the ground work is killing me. No more of that stuff. If I can't make it in the workshop and move it to site, I a.i.n.'t. makin' it.
gluing finished

o

BRAVO!!!!! (((applause)))) I wish I were there I'd help ya grout!

o

I showed my 18 year old son this today and he was all kinds of impressed. Then I told him how young you were and he about fell over. You totally rock!!!!!!

o

O.V.E.R T.H.E T.O.P!!!!! It's done...can I get an AMEN!!! WOW!!! I'm doing cartwheels for ya!!!

o

Yeah, WACKY. Every evening when I'm sitting out there, I say a prayer of thanks to Him for allowing me to do things like this at my age. I am very thankful. In case I haven't mentioned it lately, I love y'all. Y'all lift my spirits w/your comments.

o

Slow, we have been scrambling with company and are leaving for a 3 week Canada vacation tomorrow with our tent trailer. But, I couldn't leave without coming by here to check your progress. OH! MY! What wonderful work, whimsey and FUN! Flag had sent me a pic from when she was there, but now there's even so much more. FABULOSO! One HAS to invent a word, because common ones just won't do, girl! I ADORE the checkerboard designs, but it's impossible to pick out one part to expound on. It's all fabulous. The colors! The designs! I so VERY much love your art! Best of luck on the grouting. I can hardly wait to get back, see it done, and know you are FINISHED, relaxed (Ha!) and enjoying your stellar efforts. Awesome job, Slow. Wowee! (She be the QUEEN!)

o
RE: Fountain Surround Thread II - Finished

Hallelujah - IT'S FINISHED. Well, er uh, all except cleaning up those points. Funny how the picture shows stuff I missed. Could be the heat - it's 101.7 in Texarkana. Needless to say, I'm glad this sucker is done. Now for the cleanup - scrubbing the stones/bricks, sealing (nope - changed my mind - not mosaicing the floor) and planting in the next couple days.
FINISHED

o

I was just wondering about you and if you got done today. I think this is dang sure beautiful. You did a wonderful job and I know it was a killer....Take it easy at least the rest of today. and dream up another project while you sit and enjoy this one...this was a single handed job and I admire you for taking it on. Send Riana pics and I bet she puts you on her website..Another student success! I should be ashamed, I still haven't finished my class project. You go girl! You are the greatest...and show the most perserverance of any of us...Congratulations...Hip Hip Hurrah! Three cheers for Slow.

o

Girl that is os GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!It is just getting to hot for tex.isn't .I just love it.

o

I had to chuckle when you said you werent doing the floor.

An Amazing piece of art you did there Slow! enjoy it a minute, OK?

o

Awesome Slow. That is more than amazing..especially in the heat!! I agree with Wacky..enjoy it!!

o

Thanks, y'all. It is a good feeling to be finished w/my largest project. FLAG: Riana has asked permission to use several pictures on her website. She's just gotten a new Webmaster, and we should be seeing some of her students' work soon. I have lots of projects in mind, but they'll be done on the inside, and transported outside. No more on-site work for this lady. Y'all have been such a lift for my spirits. Who wouldn't enjoy the kind of applause y'all so freely give. Many thanks.

o

STUNNING ACCOMPLISHMENT! wow I can't imagine grouting all of that - my knees and back are aching with empathy. BUT DAHANG! it is a massive art masterpiece lady... take a bow (if you can bend after all that)

o

Looks AWESOME!!! I think it is so cool you signed this pc! Whose name is that under yours??? I can't quite read it! It's raining here today...muchly needed!!! So I'm thinkin' of mosing on into the shed and see about starting my Humpty!!! I can hardly wait to see this creation of yours all planted up!!!

o

Yeah, NT - I used knee pads, but the getting up/down is getting harder. CALAM - that's Ronnie Danner - a dancing partner and Shea's former fiance. They still remain friends. Even though he didn't do a great job of helping me, I had promised I'd put his name on the project. Hope to get it planted today. Took yesterday off to get potting soil and more posies and plants - just what I need around here - more plants to care for.

o

Slow, This is truly a masterpiece!!! What an amazing job you have done!! I would so love to see it in person!!! I am so amazed it is just sooooooooo BEAUIFUL and the most impressive work of ART....

o
RE: Fountain Surround Thread II - planted

Thanks, CATH: If you're ever near enough to plan a trip to Northeast TX, please put me on your itinerary. It's all planted with:
Both tall planters w/Perennial Ferns
Both pocket planters w/Blue Scaevola
Left planter w/Red Cordilyn (Fiesta Grass), spreading Zinnias, Blue Salvia and a trailing plant w/little yellow flowers (name ??)
Right planter w/Japanese Maple, Moss Roses and the trailing plant.
Around base of left planter w/Impatiens
Around base of right planter w/Moss Roses
Around the bowl in front of the Mondo Grass a lime green ground cover that FLAG gave me - don't remember name.
On the little red shelf w/a pot of Petunias.
Needless to say, I'm glad this project is finished and planted.
Fountain Surround Finished and Planted

o

WOW!!! I had to set it as my background pic as I need to take it all in!!!! Richard will be blown away too!!! How wonderful to have this HUGE project D.O.N.E.!!!!

o

I am in AWE of you! You are the queen of mosaics and I am just amazed by your talent! Wow!

o

Yep, words just can't describe this incredible fanatastico, gorgeous, original work of true art and beauty!! But you did it, even if I can't express myself. You should be so so proud and sit back for a bit and just bask in the praise and the sunlight. It is just so incredible and I bet Riana is in shock seeing what you have done. And add this horrible heat and I am even more amazed at you Slowww.

To the Queen!!! May your muscles and bones rest up and get prepared for Slow, part II. LOL Truly wonderful

o

Many thanks, y'all. Even though this project has many flaws, I am still proud of it. NOT the Queen of Mosaics by any means - just an old lady doin' her thang. MER: Part II - hmmmm - I AM rolling around in my head a fountain for my front yard. I saw one at a garden show in the spring, and couldn't bring myself to pay $1,000 for it, and another thou to have it installed. I can't get the design outta my mind, though, so stay tuned.

o

What an environment you have made here - its BEAUTIFUL and sooo ORIGINAL. You better be proud! its stunning!

o

What a great place to relax!! NT is right, it's beautiful and you have the only one like it!!

o

Thank y'all very much. I am soooooo enjoying it, even though sitting outside the last couple days is almost unbearable - 101 yesterday. So happy this is finished for the family reunion coming up this weekend, when we'll BBQ out there.

o

It turned out just soooo beautiful!! I can't believe how much work that must have been, the gettin down and gettin up....ouch! I get tired just watching you!! The family is going to love this, hope it cools off a bit so you can sit and enjoy it.

o

We got back from three weeks vacation today and I HAD to check here right away on your WONDERFUL wall, Slow. I'm so glad it's finished and you can enjoy it now. There aren't words to discribe either the piece or my delighted reactions to it...just know how much I love it all. One particular delight for me is the flower type petals you put on the checkered end piece. THAT'S going in my book of ideas for the future for sure. Grand fun, Slow. You rock!

o

Well, thanks, DAISEY and SQUIRRELLY: Welcome back, DAISEY. I DID get lots of compliments from the family, and we DID force ourselves to sit on the patio for the BBQ, even though it was hot hot hot.

o

Looky looky - what FLAG sent me - huge, softball-sized ceramic marbles for around the bowl of my patio fountain. Oh, how WONDERFUL. She made them. GORGEOUS, and I want a dozen.
Ceramic Marbles from FLAG

o

I think I need to bring you one more so you have an odd number. Four is to symetrical. A dozen will have to be a baker's dozen. Odd numbers...lol

o

Oh, you sent five - you can't see the dark green one on the right. Don't care if it's even or uneven, these are sooooooooooooo unique. Wouldn't they look neat outlining your lava rock island around your column?!!!!!

o

WOW those are way TOO COOL!!!!!!!!!! Good job Flag!!!!

o

Wow! I don't know what else to say!

o

Flag MADE those ceramic marbles?????? Wow! Aren't they a wonderful addition?! You lucky girl!

o

OMG SLOW!!! That is SO amazing! Looking at it gives me pure energy! Talk about PERFECT and PERFECTION....you got it going on in spades! Great job!

So, when you get this all done is the Margarita party at your house? :)

Addiesue

o

reading this a bit late.
how was the BBQ?
:D
love that piece of heaven... wish i could do that... but i will stick to flats... mirrors and wall pieces.
FOR NOW :)

good work!

o

ADDIE: This project is all finished - took me two months. There's a 'rita party of one here every night. Come join me anytime. I'm working on a front garden fountain/water feature now. Many thanks again, FLAG for the icing. CALIN: The BBQ was wonderful, but the weather was swelteringly hot. We sat outside just for the meal and ran back inside for the evening.

o

Slow, your projects are so much fun to watch. How you can possibly do so much is just more than I can imagine. Makes my back hurt just watching the progress. This finished piece is something to be really proud of.

o

Well, how nice, ART. I really do love it, and sit out there in little spurts. Have especially enjoyed it this week w/all the rain. Every time the satellite w/go out, I'd run out and sit under the tin roof and admire (scuze please) my handiwork. Thank you.

o

While I was checking in here today, I clicked through the pics from your sphere to the fountain and it's absolutely stunning. It looks so perfectly done. You must be so pleased! For a gal who would tell us she quickly throws tess onto a mosaic project, you have a whole lot of patience to be able to create a structure like this. It's a beautiful piece of art as it is, but I'll be checking back often to see where you go from here.

o

Slow...I, like so many here, am blown away! It is like that guy in Portugal or Spain where he just started and it became a near city. You are an artist extraordinaire and I have spent hours looking at your slide show just to remember it. Someone asked me about the plinth that I built...shoot, you have been building them...towers...I just used a "fancy" name for them. They are incredible and your village is a masterpiece. I talk about doing it, you DO IT! You are my icon. Thanks for sharing all of this with us.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here