Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texaswild

Fountain Surround Thread II

texaswild
14 years ago

Too tired to chat - yard work and this - doesn't look like much progress, but after yard work it was a L.O.T. W/answer questions later.

Sunday's progress

Comments (80)

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

YUP!!! Ditto what Flag says!!! This is a pic of Slow after she whipped up her Nicho and had another thing made before we all had our 1st project done, at the Mexico class we did!!! This is a poor quality pic as I took a pic of a pic in a 5 pic frame that hangs on my wall...that I see every morning when I wake up!!! Ahhh the girls in Mexico!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well if y'all don't beat all! MER - no, haven't gotten the book yet - forgot all about it. Yeah, when Riana told us in PV that she didn't know what a wheeled nipper was we were all in shock. Her tools are simple - a regular tile nipper, and her stash is very small - mostly natural rocks. She enjoys making the sculptures - not the tiling. Boy, could we be a team. FLAG - you BRAT - told you not to get my face. I'll see you today, and I'm bringing Toby to tear you up. CALAM: I think the 'rita "Slowedmedown". Er, uh, do I feel pressured to get back to the wall??? Hope to get back into high gear tomorrow - been working in the gardens since DD left on Sunday - how about six hrs. each for the last two days, and it's in the upper 90s. Oh, the TX summers.

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

Looking at your work is just so inspiring.

I very respectfully say: "Ole' Ole' Ole'"!!!!!

• wackyweeder
    14 years ago

You were worried about your face? Id be worried if my big butt was turned toward the camera! You look awesome even in your grouting duds!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That too, WACKY, was what worried me - rear end in the air - scraping the dirt away and getting ready for today's progress, which isn't much, but it's 92 degrees here, and I still have garden work going on. Miserable, w/no rain in sight.
    Friday's progress

• nicethyme
    14 years ago

Beautiful! I love me a Slowmedown checkered border!

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

Lookin GOOD Slow!!!!!!!!! We had ritas on the deck last night!!! YUMMY!! And mama moose and baby joined us!!! So cute they are when they are little!! Can't wait to see more, get to work!!! LOL

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, y'all. CATHY: I'm workin' I'm workin' - it's hot, hot, hot. I filled in the heart window pane last evening, so the planter was covered today. Hope to start on the other and final planter tomorrow. Soooooooo hard working on the ground.
    Saturday's progress

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

WOW!!! I LOVE it!!! I just Love those planters!!!

• bamasusanna
    14 years ago

Slow, this is just over the top!!
    I sure do wish I lived closer so I could come over and watch you work (heck, I might even help!)

Holy dawg snot!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, thanks for that, CALAM and BAMA. Man, I could sure use some help. Grouting starts tomorrow. W/probably take me three days cuz it's blazing hot here. Just glued the last tile on the last planter. I'm glad this puppy is getting near the end. Has been enjoyable most of the time, but the ground work is killing me. No more of that stuff. If I can't make it in the workshop and move it to site, I a.i.n.'t. makin' it.
    gluing finished

• nicethyme
    14 years ago

BRAVO!!!!! (((applause)))) I wish I were there I'd help ya grout!

• wackyweeder
    14 years ago

I showed my 18 year old son this today and he was all kinds of impressed. Then I told him how young you were and he about fell over. You totally rock!!!!!!

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

O.V.E.R T.H.E T.O.P!!!!! It's done...can I get an AMEN!!! WOW!!! I'm doing cartwheels for ya!!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yeah, WACKY. Every evening when I'm sitting out there, I say a prayer of thanks to Him for allowing me to do things like this at my age. I am very thankful. In case I haven't mentioned it lately, I love y'all. Y'all lift my spirits w/your comments.

• daisyme
    14 years ago

Slow, we have been scrambling with company and are leaving for a 3 week Canada vacation tomorrow with our tent trailer. But, I couldn't leave without coming by here to check your progress. OH! MY! What wonderful work, whimsey and FUN! Flag had sent me a pic from when she was there, but now there's even so much more. FABULOSO! One HAS to invent a word, because common ones just won't do, girl! I ADORE the checkerboard designs, but it's impossible to pick out one part to expound on. It's all fabulous. The colors! The designs! I so VERY much love your art! Best of luck on the grouting. I can hardly wait to get back, see it done, and know you are FINISHED, relaxed (Ha!) and enjoying your stellar efforts. Awesome job, Slow. Wowee! (She be the QUEEN!)

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hallelujah - IT'S FINISHED. Well, er uh, all except cleaning up those points. Funny how the picture shows stuff I missed. Could be the heat - it's 101.7 in Texarkana. Needless to say, I'm glad this sucker is done. Now for the cleanup - scrubbing the stones/bricks, sealing (nope - changed my mind - not mosaicing the floor) and planting in the next couple days.
    FINISHED

• flagtruck
    14 years ago

I was just wondering about you and if you got done today. I think this is dang sure beautiful. You did a wonderful job and I know it was a killer....Take it easy at least the rest of today. and dream up another project while you sit and enjoy this one...this was a single handed job and I admire you for taking it on. Send Riana pics and I bet she puts you on her website..Another student success! I should be ashamed, I still haven't finished my class project. You go girl! You are the greatest...and show the most perserverance of any of us...Congratulations...Hip Hip Hurrah! Three cheers for Slow.

• nanatricia
    14 years ago

Girl that is os GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!It is just getting to hot for tex.isn't .I just love it.

• wackyweeder
    14 years ago

I had to chuckle when you said you werent doing the floor.

An Amazing piece of art you did there Slow! enjoy it a minute, OK?

• shrty411
    14 years ago

Awesome Slow. That is more than amazing..especially in the heat!! I agree with Wacky..enjoy it!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, y'all. It is a good feeling to be finished w/my largest project. FLAG: Riana has asked permission to use several pictures on her website. She's just gotten a new Webmaster, and we should be seeing some of her students' work soon. I have lots of projects in mind, but they'll be done on the inside, and transported outside. No more on-site work for this lady. Y'all have been such a lift for my spirits. Who wouldn't enjoy the kind of applause y'all so freely give. Many thanks.

• nicethyme
    14 years ago

STUNNING ACCOMPLISHMENT! wow I can't imagine grouting all of that - my knees and back are aching with empathy. BUT DAHANG! it is a massive art masterpiece lady... take a bow (if you can bend after all that)

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

Looks AWESOME!!! I think it is so cool you signed this pc! Whose name is that under yours??? I can't quite read it! It's raining here today...muchly needed!!! So I'm thinkin' of mosing on into the shed and see about starting my Humpty!!! I can hardly wait to see this creation of yours all planted up!!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yeah, NT - I used knee pads, but the getting up/down is getting harder. CALAM - that's Ronnie Danner - a dancing partner and Shea's former fiance. They still remain friends. Even though he didn't do a great job of helping me, I had promised I'd put his name on the project. Hope to get it planted today. Took yesterday off to get potting soil and more posies and plants - just what I need around here - more plants to care for.

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

Slow, This is truly a masterpiece!!! What an amazing job you have done!! I would so love to see it in person!!! I am so amazed it is just sooooooooo BEAUIFUL and the most impressive work of ART....

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, CATH: If you're ever near enough to plan a trip to Northeast TX, please put me on your itinerary. It's all planted with:
    Both tall planters w/Perennial Ferns
    Both pocket planters w/Blue Scaevola
    Left planter w/Red Cordilyn (Fiesta Grass), spreading Zinnias, Blue Salvia and a trailing plant w/little yellow flowers (name ??)
    Right planter w/Japanese Maple, Moss Roses and the trailing plant.
    Around base of left planter w/Impatiens
    Around base of right planter w/Moss Roses
    Around the bowl in front of the Mondo Grass a lime green ground cover that FLAG gave me - don't remember name.
    On the little red shelf w/a pot of Petunias.
    Needless to say, I'm glad this project is finished and planted.
    Fountain Surround Finished and Planted

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

WOW!!! I had to set it as my background pic as I need to take it all in!!!! Richard will be blown away too!!! How wonderful to have this HUGE project D.O.N.E.!!!!

• Dottie B.
    14 years ago

I am in AWE of you! You are the queen of mosaics and I am just amazed by your talent! Wow!

• Mermaid
    14 years ago

Yep, words just can't describe this incredible fanatastico, gorgeous, original work of true art and beauty!! But you did it, even if I can't express myself. You should be so so proud and sit back for a bit and just bask in the praise and the sunlight. It is just so incredible and I bet Riana is in shock seeing what you have done. And add this horrible heat and I am even more amazed at you Slowww.

To the Queen!!! May your muscles and bones rest up and get prepared for Slow, part II. LOL Truly wonderful

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Many thanks, y'all. Even though this project has many flaws, I am still proud of it. NOT the Queen of Mosaics by any means - just an old lady doin' her thang. MER: Part II - hmmmm - I AM rolling around in my head a fountain for my front yard. I saw one at a garden show in the spring, and couldn't bring myself to pay $1,000 for it, and another thou to have it installed. I can't get the design outta my mind, though, so stay tuned.

• nicethyme
    14 years ago

What an environment you have made here - its BEAUTIFUL and sooo ORIGINAL. You better be proud! its stunning!

• shrty411
    14 years ago

What a great place to relax!! NT is right, it's beautiful and you have the only one like it!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank y'all very much. I am soooooo enjoying it, even though sitting outside the last couple days is almost unbearable - 101 yesterday. So happy this is finished for the family reunion coming up this weekend, when we'll BBQ out there.

• squirrellycanadian
    14 years ago

It turned out just soooo beautiful!! I can't believe how much work that must have been, the gettin down and gettin up....ouch! I get tired just watching you!! The family is going to love this, hope it cools off a bit so you can sit and enjoy it.

• daisyme
    14 years ago

We got back from three weeks vacation today and I HAD to check here right away on your WONDERFUL wall, Slow. I'm so glad it's finished and you can enjoy it now. There aren't words to discribe either the piece or my delighted reactions to it...just know how much I love it all. One particular delight for me is the flower type petals you put on the checkered end piece. THAT'S going in my book of ideas for the future for sure. Grand fun, Slow. You rock!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, thanks, DAISEY and SQUIRRELLY: Welcome back, DAISEY. I DID get lots of compliments from the family, and we DID force ourselves to sit on the patio for the BBQ, even though it was hot hot hot.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Looky looky - what FLAG sent me - huge, softball-sized ceramic marbles for around the bowl of my patio fountain. Oh, how WONDERFUL. She made them. GORGEOUS, and I want a dozen.

• flagtruck
    14 years ago

I think I need to bring you one more so you have an odd number. Four is to symetrical. A dozen will have to be a baker's dozen. Odd numbers...lol

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, you sent five - you can't see the dark green one on the right. Don't care if it's even or uneven, these are sooooooooooooo unique. Wouldn't they look neat outlining your lava rock island around your column?!!!!!

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

WOW those are way TOO COOL!!!!!!!!!! Good job Flag!!!!

• texasfern
    14 years ago

Wow! I don't know what else to say!

• daisyme
    14 years ago

Flag MADE those ceramic marbles?????? Wow! Aren't they a wonderful addition?! You lucky girl!

• addiesue
    14 years ago

OMG SLOW!!! That is SO amazing! Looking at it gives me pure energy! Talk about PERFECT and PERFECTION....you got it going on in spades! Great job!

So, when you get this all done is the Margarita party at your house? :)

Addiesue

• calinromania
    14 years ago

reading this a bit late.
    how was the BBQ?
    :D
    love that piece of heaven... wish i could do that... but i will stick to flats... mirrors and wall pieces.
    FOR NOW :)

good work!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ADDIE: This project is all finished - took me two months. There's a 'rita party of one here every night. Come join me anytime. I'm working on a front garden fountain/water feature now. Many thanks again, FLAG for the icing. CALIN: The BBQ was wonderful, but the weather was swelteringly hot. We sat outside just for the meal and ran back inside for the evening.

• artglass
    14 years ago

Slow, your projects are so much fun to watch. How you can possibly do so much is just more than I can imagine. Makes my back hurt just watching the progress. This finished piece is something to be really proud of.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, how nice, ART. I really do love it, and sit out there in little spurts. Have especially enjoyed it this week w/all the rain. Every time the satellite w/go out, I'd run out and sit under the tin roof and admire (scuze please) my handiwork. Thank you.

• daisyme
    14 years ago

While I was checking in here today, I clicked through the pics from your sphere to the fountain and it's absolutely stunning. It looks so perfectly done. You must be so pleased! For a gal who would tell us she quickly throws tess onto a mosaic project, you have a whole lot of patience to be able to create a structure like this. It's a beautiful piece of art as it is, but I'll be checking back often to see where you go from here.

• gardencrone
    14 years ago

Slow...I, like so many here, am blown away! It is like that guy in Portugal or Spain where he just started and it became a near city. You are an artist extraordinaire and I have spent hours looking at your slide show just to remember it. Someone asked me about the plinth that I built...shoot, you have been building them...towers...I just used a "fancy" name for them. They are incredible and your village is a masterpiece. I talk about doing it, you DO IT! You are my icon. Thanks for sharing all of this with us.

Sponsored