Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
beginner mosaic class project

Posted by herself (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 9, 09 at 18:06

I've been asked to teach a class doing a small pique assiette project that can be completed during a one night class. My problem is that I always let my project dry overnight before grouting it. Is there an ahesive I could use that is quick drying so they could grout that same evening. (A "safe" adhesive) Otherwise I suppose I could mosaic a sample project ahead of time, and then after they finished their project I could just do a demo of the grouting on the sample.
I thought of a tile or maybe a flower pot for a beginners project, but I'm open to other ideas. I have never done a class on this before.

Herself

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: beginner mosaic class project

according to the no daze mosaic adhesive people you are supposed to be able to grout as soon as it cools off. havent tried it yet tho

o

There is a method using mastic...by laurie mika? where you lay a bed of mastic and smoosh the pieces into it, therefore grouting it as you go-Im not sure how long the mastic takes to set up. Thinset I spose would work too, again I dont know how long it takes to set up.
Aside from that, silicone sets up quickly and even though you are supposed to wait, I have grouted within hours of using it. on a simple flat tile or something it should work. Do a test piece and give it a shot.

o

Exactly what WACKY said was gonna be my suggestion - push and sqush. We'd make a team, WACKY.

o

Then send em to us!lol! You get em hooked...we'll take over! Bwahahaha!

o

Thanks for the advise - I'll try a test project to see how soon I can grout. Yes, after I hook 'em with the beginner's project I'll send them to you guys to reel them in! LOL
Herself

o

Goodluck and please let us know what works best for ya

o

Herself...

Here is a link that might be useful: Conversation (Treasure Hunt) stepping/garden stones

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here