Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calamity_j

Rock Mosaics..LOL!

Calamity_J
13 years ago

You do have to nip/chip and mortar/grout...WIP.....

Comments (28)

• texaswild
    13 years ago

What the hay? CALAM: This is a huuuuuuuuuuuuge project. I can't even imagine such a gigantic undertaking. Did you think this up or have professional input? Why the different depths? Waterfall??? Where w/the castle go? OH MY, would I LOVE to be there and watch the production. What is your estimated time of finishing such a big deal. Man - this is BIG.

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My buddy Glen is helping me and he LOVES rock...today we hauled(from not far away,5min drive)all this top cap rock!!! It's all average 4"thick and 18" to 24" around!!! Dolly was my BFF today!lol! And my wheelbarrow!
    The back part is the water fall area and right behind it is where the castle will reside! I think the pergola will frame the castle nicely for looking at, at this angle! I am sooo bagged right now! This won't be done now till next weekend, just such a big job today, we wore ourselves out! Hauled rock from a 30ft high cliff, 100ft away from the car/trailer...loading unloading hauling to the pond after powerwashing/flipping over...off to bed early tonight!!!lol! Oh! And I got to make a few capstones/learned how to break the rock...hit my hand once with the 4 lb hammer!!!

• emtnest
    13 years ago

OK, now I've got pond envy!!!! It's gorgeous... and those rocks, to die for...love love love it!!!! Your back must be BREAKING!!!!

• texaswild
    13 years ago

I don't have pond envy after seeing how much maintenance FLAG has on hers. Beautiful, but a lot of upkeep on those suckers. Where those rocks are stacked in front of the plants - is that where the waterfall w/be? Don't understand where the castle w/be. Had to look at the pictures again, and realized those plants are in the ground, not water plants. What pergola? I'm so bad - you can't even give me a picture and make me understand. Soooo interested in this project, and especially how the castle w/fit in. W/you enlarge on the castle theme - other parts to it, etc? Makes my back hurt just reading what all y'all did yesterday.

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

That is looking super, I hope you don't over do it with your back. I do have pond envy, maintenance or not. That makes my little preformed pond look like a puddle. Your my GJ hero.
    Frou

• flagtruck
    13 years ago

I don't have pond envy but I do have rock envy. There is absolutely nowhere around here to get rock like that...if I came to see you I would have to bring a big trailer to bring some of that home. I love the depth of yours and it is really coming together quick. You are my hero and wonder woman. Beautiful job, and I have baby fish and tadpoles all at once...luv it. My neighbor had a landscaping co out to give her an estimate on a pond and she showed them mine and said she wanted something like that. He told her
    $30,000 or up. Needless to say she isnt getting one any time soon. I am sure yours would be a lot more than that except for your wonderful friends and your talent.
    Great job! I admire all you have done.

• silvamae
    13 years ago

This is such a huge project, I am almost speechless! Can't wait to see pics of the end result. WOW.

• nanatricia
    13 years ago

I just love it all!!!

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jane-0 Sidetracko strikes again!!! So this guy near me used to sell cement garden art, well, he is moving to a small townhouse and needs to liquidate his treasures(stuff he kept for himself) and I bought some neat things: boot, feet, seahorse, snail, birdbath...plus he gave me a bunch of other stuff> Junk!lol! And I went back today because he had some outdoor mexican floor tile he wanted me to take away...so I hooked up my utility trailer and away I went..already had an idea of where to put this stuff..(had to go get it when DH was at work...clutter is not his forte!) So I am loading this floor tile and he says...Go get that girl statue you liked so much...WOW!! I was teasing him and said that I had been the original model who posed for it!ha! When I got her home, I realized she needs wings cuz she wants to be a fairey in my yard...so project # 870...lol!
    http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL167/1640891/22530459/387972307.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:129910}}

• flagtruck
    13 years ago

DANG Gal! You never quit. I wish I had your energy and most of all your CHARM. You seem to be charming the crete right out of these guys. I think Klinger needs to go along to protect you and store some of your overflow. No wings, she is your spittin' image now...and good looking too. I am so proud of you and your 'go get em' attitude. Show us the floor tiles...I love what you have done so far. Keep up the good work.

• texaswild
    13 years ago

Tried to post yesterday on your pond reply, and it just wouldn't load. I can't believe you!!!!! You have more sources for stuff we love. You and FLAG must be twins - she also finds stuff around her teensy town that floor me. That statue says to me: "Well, let me see - what am I doing today?" OR - she might need a crown - looks like some business going on w/her hair. I can see some wings too. All kinds of things she could have. You beat all. Re your response on the pond, castle and pergola - what pergola - where's it going? Until I studied the two pics again, I hadn't realized the plants in back were in the ground instead of a water pond. So - the waterfall w/be on those rocks that are stacked in the center, and the castle in that little area in back where the rocks are in sortuv a circle??? Can't picture a pergola unless it's over the whole pond???????

• emtnest
    13 years ago

Wow Jane you scored big time!!!! I think you are my heroine too!!! Would just be so fun to hit the road and go see all the junkers/artists we know so well on the net... meet in person, have a cup, soak in all the artwork and go to the next.

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So a few more pics...the pond from the other end so you can see the bog garden(with siol) and right behind it is the base for the castle and behind that the pond, which will have a pergola built over the whole pond part. The stacked rock is the waterfall(between castle and pond. Rope light on the pergola and of course...castle lights up!!! The free mexican tile is plain but reminescent of PV days! Will do a cement patio over with them and stones for the cobble effect I saw in Mexico...sheesh, still need to do the front door patio too with the slate I've scrounged! Also included a pic of the future mosaic project stash...LOTS of ideas and too little time right now! Have been working with a stash of free wood...building trellises, Have already made 5 trellises and need to paint them...will be doing a GOG Trellis too!Here's the pics and also will include a new trellis I made for my Dog whisperer GOG...

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:148120}}

• texaswild
    13 years ago

Oh, I'm telling you, these pics make me want to go visit you and be a part of this project. Can't, though, only six months 'till I'll be flying down to PV again, and I gotta save my pennies. This project is soooooooo interesting, girlie. I have tons of work to do in the gardens, and here I still sit at the computer. Outta here.

• squirrellycanadian
    13 years ago

Holy Pond Scum Batman!!! That ain't no pond, it's a friggin lake!! Man, when you get a goin nothing gets in your way. This is so incredible Jane! You work so hard! I just can't imagine hauling all that rock.....who IS your helper, I want to marry him hahaha! I'm coming over there this summer, I want to hang out by your pond..er..lake!

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's Done...well tidbits left...but it's just about complete!!!

• texaswild
    13 years ago

How in the hay did you get that done so fast?!!!!!! Absolutely wonderful - and right off your deck so you can enjoy the sounds of the waterfall. CALAM - you have really created something wonderful. LOVE the castle - LOVE it all. And hey, you put a roof over your deck. WOW - have y'all been busy. You'll enjoy this for years to come, and especially sitting outside when it rains - it's my favorite way to spend rainy evenings. Congratulations!!!

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh Thank You! I am like a kid at Christmas with it...ran out there this morning(it's 5am!) and had to see it(castle) all lit up and reflecting into the pond! Was a mad worker last night to get the copper finished on the roofs...they didn't turn out as well as I "envisioned" as I ran out of copper to finish the main topper, and had to piece meal it together and I happened to score this brass cone, so I added that to the top and it saved having copper there...I had JUST enough copper...and I mean JUST ENOUGH!lol! was robbing peter to pay paul(where I had turned it under the bottoms)...and so it has a real frankenstien look going on on one side!lol! But I have that side facing the fence!lol! I will "help" it to patina(green) so it will blend in with the castle....the deck looks kinda bare cuz I have to get another coat of paint down, been busy making wood projects, made an arbor, bird trellis, vine trellises(4)and will build one for a shower door gog!!! THEN I gotta weed/plant/design/redesign garden beds!!! Oh and all my art projects...lol!

• flagtruck
    13 years ago

OMG! You really are wonder woman. All of this is just fab and I can't believe you are done so fast! I am still working on my grout backlog and getting ready for a garden tour next Tuesday.
    I think you have done a remarkable job on all of this..I wish I had your strength and stamina. Do all you can while you can. You can have tours soon. Great job. I know you are proud.

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Flag, you have been an inspiration to me with your yard and pond!!!

• nanatricia
    13 years ago

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! girl I love it They all said it for me but I love it.

• emtnest
    13 years ago

Over the top gorgeous Miss Jane....love it!!!!!

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

Its really fun to see the process/progress.
    The whole pond and yard and deck and arbor are incredible.
    Kathy

• fldirt
    13 years ago

That turned out AWESOME & I love your deck & pond. Boy have you been busy. Wish you could come & help me get some of my projects done!!! Great job. How did you post your pictures with your post? Sandi

• wackyweeder
    13 years ago

Good grief! You are a dynamo! It looks fabulouos!

• calinromania
    13 years ago

pictures removed? :(

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is a link to my home page....
    http://www.picturetrail.com/janelewis

• oldcrafty
    13 years ago

WOW you are truely a Go-Go Girl!!! Just visted your homepage and most all of the gorgeous things youv'e done. Your lake is truely to-die for. Can't imagine how you can top that project!!

Sponsored