Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loribee2

Another birdbath!

loribee2
11 years ago

I think this was the weekend for birdbaths! I started this project a year ago and have just finished it today.

I've had two of these columns forever. I bought them years ago to use as planters, which never worked out too well. Since then, they've been sitting around empty until I got the idea to use them as bases for birdbaths.

Because of the aged look of the columns, I used porcelain tiles in the hope of matching the feel. I think it worked out really well for this birdbath, but I'm not sure how I like the tiles in general. Once I grouted them, they turned cloudy on me and all the cleaning and polishing in the world isn't doing a thing to brighten them back up. Has anyone worked with these types of tiles before? I'm wondering if I did something wrong?

In any event, I'm happy with the way this project turned out.

That's two projects completed in one month. I think I can say I'm officially on a mosaic roll! LOL

If you are interested in seeing how I made the top, I've got the whole project on my blog, linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bird Bath Project

Comments (12)

• nanatricia
    11 years ago

I love it and I love how you made it !! Cool idea the way you did it.Also love your blog .

• texaswild
    11 years ago

Gorgeous mosaic work. I LOVE the aged look on the tiles. I'm thinking that the cloudiness is just the nature of the porcelain tiles. I'm making this up, but I'm thinking that if you'd sealed them b/f grouting, maybe they wouldn't have soaked in the color of the grout. In this case, I think it worked for your advantage - aged look. If you want to try varnishing them why not use a few sample tiles to see if that w/help. However, don't know how healthy that w/be for the birds. I love it just the way it is. What an excellent idea on how you made the bowl. B/f I read your whole tutorial, I was afraid you'd used the terra cotta plant plates for your bowl. They never hold up to the weather.

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

Very nice! I liked the idea to make the bowl also! I like a big and simple design for birdbaths, it shows up so well in the garden!

• loribee2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! Yes, I agree that the cloudiness I got after grouting worked really well for this project. Before I grouted, the tiles looked too "new" for the base, so this helped a lot. I'm glad I learned about these tiles on this project, though, as opposed to one where I might have expected them to stay nice and shiny. They won't! Unless you do something like you mentioned.

• wackyweeder
    11 years ago

Are these unglazed porcelain? I cant tell. If so-you need to seal them prior to grout to keep them "new" looking. Lovely birdbath and I adore those columns.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    11 years ago

Oh gosh, I like this very much. Great colors and I love the design. Beautiful!!

• loribee2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all! And thank you wackyweeder for the tip. Yes, they are unglazed porcelain. That is good to know that sealing them will keep them 'fresh' looking after grout.

• megamuffins
    11 years ago

Very love it, great design.

• wishdish
    11 years ago

beautiful. that's a great use for the columns and you did a great job matching the feel of the bowl to the columns.

• klinger
    11 years ago

Very nice, I really like the pattern, reminds me of a celtic knot.

• chinatreasures
    11 years ago

This turned out great! What an amazing idea.

• emtnest
    11 years ago

Beautiful and the birdies will appreciate it too!!!

Sponsored