Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cacbeary

Lighthouse

cacbeary
15 years ago

Here's a lighthouse I did from a road cone. This is for my MIL. It's the Bodie Lighthouse from the Outer Banks, NC

Comments (16)

• sereneseen
    15 years ago

Wow, that is amazing cacbeary. I love it! Does the light work? Where did you get the lantern?

What a wonderful project for you MIL. Very nice work.

• cacbeary
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh yeah, I forgot. It's a solar light so it does give off light at night, but not very much. I bought a 4 pack at Walmart for some lights in the flowers. That's when I thought wouldn't this look great on a lighthouse. Then my wheels started spinning on the lighthouse. There is a method to the madness.

• texasfern
    15 years ago

Is is cement or tufa or what? I love that!

• cacbeary
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's cement. I wired the hardware cloth to cone underneath - it's not going anywhere now. I didn't have portland cement but lots of quick-crete. It worked. I was going to put rebar on the inside & have it sticking out at the bottom for MIL to put in ground - afraid a bad storm would take it away. It weights a good 50-60 lbs - it's not going anywhere.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

How awesome is this!!! Way to go!! I just love anything 3d!! It inspires me to get my yard projects done so I can play again!!! Just a beautiful job!!!

• squirrellycanadian
    15 years ago

WOW!! And made from a road cone! Very creative, it looks awesome, MIL is going to LOVE it!

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Well, CAC: You did a wonderful job - it's so smooth, neat and BEAUTIFUL. What size did you cut those pieces of glass? Truly a magnificient job of mosaicing and putting things together to make art.

• cacbeary
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Slow - They are 3/8" x 5/8" pieces. No problem going around the lighthouse that small.

• scootsmom
    15 years ago

Oh this is amazing! I just love it! It would really look perfect in my rock garden. Hint Hint. MIL will adore it!

Allyson

• cacbeary
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ha! I told my MIL it's finished & sitting in my garden so I can enjoy it. She asked if she was still getting it. She has the pics & will get it when we visit in a couple of weeks.

• emtnest
    15 years ago

Well now aren't you just so clever!!!! That is fabulous

• daisyme
    15 years ago

THAT is one wonderful piece! I love it! Great job!

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Thanks for those sizes, CAC. It looks so smooth and perfect. Wonderful project.

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

What a fabulous idea. Amazing what can be done with a little concrete. All new avenues open.

Love the lighthouse, would love to do this for our pool area with Cape Canveral lighthouse.

Just goes to figure, FINALLY threw out our orange cone and now.. I find a use for it. Don't cha just hate that??

• crackpotannie
    15 years ago

Great project,looks so cool out in the yard!

• nannerbelle
    15 years ago

Wonderful project!! I've been wanting a lighthouse with a working light, and this is giving me a great idea for how to get one!! I'm pretty close to the coast and have a nice sandy yard and doing my landscaping in a tropical mood. This would be perfect!!