Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silvamae

Will this work? Silva's next project

silvamae
13 years ago

I was so busy yesterday morning, running late, children to mind, cake to ice, errands to run and then a pool party at 11:30 a.m., so right in the middle of it all, I veered off onto a side road and stopped at a garage sale. I bought a big old lazy Susan for one dollar. I have always wanted to mosaic one. I have many beautiful sets of plates that I have nipped that have both a center focal design and rims. Here's the challenge I have set for myself. I want the tesserae to be perfectly level. Now it happens that I have a stepping stone mold that is exactly the same size as the lazy Susan. So here's my plan. I am going to use the indirect method, creating the pattern upside down in the mold, carefully pour some Diamondcrete just to cover the tess, and v-e-r-y carefully turn it over and gently lift it out and install it onto the lazy Susan. Will it work? I will report back.

Now before I start this project, I must grout and finish up the Rhythm and Blues guitar (see link below) and at least start another guitar for my husband (he is sad because he wants the Rhythm and Blues guitar for himself, so I must make another one for him. Not the same of course, but similar.) The next two weeks are going to be busy. We are leaving Tuesday morning for Galveston and the next week I will teach a mosaic course for three days. Also, in the back of my mind lurks the kiln that I just had to have and am not using (and the unfinished glass head.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's blog

Comments (5)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!