Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My first project

Posted by rock_oak_deer (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 9, 11 at 15:39

loribee2 asked about current projects, so here's my first attempt. I posted my own thread because it could go on for a while.

Photobucket

Years ago I wanted to do a mosaic and, not knowing what else to do, I smashed a plate with a hammer. The pieces turned out too small and I was not happy with the result. I packed everything up and put it in a box until recently when I found this old trowel in my mom's garage and realized scale might be just right for all those tiny shards. I like the way this is working and am glad to get past the mess I made on the past attempt.

The plan is to cover the handle with mirror and glass pieces. So far I've applied some drywall tape around it. Now I think I need to put some mortar on that or do I just glue the pieces with Liquid Nails directly to the tape?

I'm going to string seed beads on thin nylon and wrap the stem of the trowel and the top on the handle.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My first project

Oh, what an adorable idea! I never would have thought to cover a garden tool with mosaic. I'm very much looking forward to seeing your progress. I think this is going to turn out really sweet! I love the work you've done so far. Love the way you bordered the edge with yellow like that, and concentrated the flowers in the center. I could totally see this hanging on a wall, or even mounted on some sort of a stake and poking out from the flowers.

I would love to help you with it, but I'm afraid I don't have experience with mosaic on anything that's not concrete. So I'll leave that part to the experts. For me, I'll just give kudos!! Great job!!

o

So cute. I love your flower shards and the way that you have placed them.
Kathy

o

Thanks, I was inspired by a mosaic shovel pic on another forum. The link is below.

Good idea on the stake, if the handle doesn't work out I can try that.

I'm watching Mr. Sea because I have some ideas in mind for that type of project too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mosaic Shovel

o

How sweet - you did a great job. I mosaiced a little short shovel several years ago and two shovel heads - they're fun garden art. Welcome to the forum.

o

Adorable, luv it! Keep us posted!

o

Thanks, I need some advice on the handle.

I've wrapped it in fiberglass tape and think it should have mortar applied next as a base. Will that work and what type of mortar should I use?

Shirley

o

Tried sticking pieces to the mesh and it's working great so I'll go with that. I'll probably have it on the shed porch so it won't be in weather much anyway.

o

now how awesome is that!! what a cute, unique idea!! It's like a hidden surprise to come across.

o

That's really cute; I love those colors together.

o

Progress...

Photobucket

Added marbles, beads, and china pieces to the handle. The narrow mirror strips for the handle are difficult to cut, but I'll get there.

o

It's looking really good....The finished piece should really be a ....WOW

o

Oooh, pretty! Love the colors. Can't wait to see it done!

o

Looks Great! I am using Slow's computer as I am visiting her>Calamity-j.

o

Thanks, all!

Hi Slow and Calamity! I did wonder if you had made it to Texas. We will look for pics of you two working on the fountain wall.

I've been trying to get thin rectangles of mirror to go vertically around the handle, but I may end up finishing it with broken shards of mirror instead.

o

Nice work....love the colors. Can't wait to see the final product.

o

I just love this idea. I have some trowels that really irritate me to use cuz they pinch my hand or are really dull by design, but I just have never gotten rid of them. mosaic would be perfect! I'm eager to see how you display it.

Kathy

o

Thanks Kathy and fldirt.

I was stuck on the mirror because I wanted to use mirror leftover from a bathroom remodel but it's too thick for small strips. I bought a thinner craft mirror this weekend which should work better. At least I have plenty of mirror shards for a future project.

Shirley

o

I go to a glass company to buy the thin mirror. Last time I went, they had several large scraps of it, and gave it to me free. The very thin stuff is wonderful for mosaics. Check out your local glass companies for cheaper than hobby shops craft mirror.

o

Thanks for the tip calamity j. I used a coupon at Michael's but was definitely thinking it would be expensive for a larger project.

How's the wall project going?

o

Again, the above message is from SLOW. I just delivered CALAM to the airport. She must've forgotten to log off my computer. The wall project was grouted several days ago. I had most of it done b/f CALAM arrived. I mosaiced and hung a heart over a rebar stake day b/f yesterday. Have to mortar, mosaic and grout a flower I have built and put over a rebar stake, and am in the process of making a huge butterfly to cover the last rebar stake. Those are the only two things left on the wall. Then, of course, I have to dig out the area in front, put in compost and plants.

o

Thanks slow, that was certainly a bit confusing.

Glad to know the visit went well and the wall is coming along. Would love to see pictures.

o

Ditto on the wall pictures! :-D

o

I won't post another picture until it's completed and the plants are in. Didn't mean to hijack this thread.

o

Ready to grout!

Photobucket

It was worth the time and effort to get the mirrors right. When I first pictured doing this piece I visualized the mirror strips going around like that and would not give up until it worked. The gold beads will go back on the top of the handle after the grout.

o

Its beautiful1 Love the mirrors on the handle. It was worth getting the thinner mirrors so you could do it.
What color grout?
Kathy

o

Thanks, the thinner mirror is much easier to work with. I'll still use the thicker mirror pieces for projects that are more random.

Right now it's dark grout on the handle and probably light gray on the blade. In going through the archives here, dark grout will definitely look better on the handle. The lighter grout is the look I want for the blade.

Shirley

o

What a wonderful little project. You're done a great job too. Looks pretty enough to be a pendant.

o

Very cool project. Did you grout it yet?

o

It looks like a royal scepter!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here