Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rock_oak_deer

My first project

rock_oak_deer
12 years ago

loribee2 asked about current projects, so here's my first attempt. I posted my own thread because it could go on for a while.

Years ago I wanted to do a mosaic and, not knowing what else to do, I smashed a plate with a hammer. The pieces turned out too small and I was not happy with the result. I packed everything up and put it in a box until recently when I found this old trowel in my mom's garage and realized scale might be just right for all those tiny shards. I like the way this is working and am glad to get past the mess I made on the past attempt.

The plan is to cover the handle with mirror and glass pieces. So far I've applied some drywall tape around it. Now I think I need to put some mortar on that or do I just glue the pieces with Liquid Nails directly to the tape?

I'm going to string seed beads on thin nylon and wrap the stem of the trowel and the top on the handle.

Comments (29)

• loribee2
    12 years ago

Oh, what an adorable idea! I never would have thought to cover a garden tool with mosaic. I'm very much looking forward to seeing your progress. I think this is going to turn out really sweet! I love the work you've done so far. Love the way you bordered the edge with yellow like that, and concentrated the flowers in the center. I could totally see this hanging on a wall, or even mounted on some sort of a stake and poking out from the flowers.

I would love to help you with it, but I'm afraid I don't have experience with mosaic on anything that's not concrete. So I'll leave that part to the experts. For me, I'll just give kudos!! Great job!!

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

So cute. I love your flower shards and the way that you have placed them.
    Kathy

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, I was inspired by a mosaic shovel pic on another forum. The link is below.

Good idea on the stake, if the handle doesn't work out I can try that.

I'm watching Mr. Sea because I have some ideas in mind for that type of project too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mosaic Shovel

• texaswild
    12 years ago

How sweet - you did a great job. I mosaiced a little short shovel several years ago and two shovel heads - they're fun garden art. Welcome to the forum.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Adorable, luv it! Keep us posted!

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, I need some advice on the handle.

I've wrapped it in fiberglass tape and think it should have mortar applied next as a base. Will that work and what type of mortar should I use?

Shirley

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tried sticking pieces to the mesh and it's working great so I'll go with that. I'll probably have it on the shed porch so it won't be in weather much anyway.

• janieinmo
    12 years ago

now how awesome is that!! what a cute, unique idea!! It's like a hidden surprise to come across.

• silvamae
    12 years ago

That's really cute; I love those colors together.

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Progress...

Added marbles, beads, and china pieces to the handle. The narrow mirror strips for the handle are difficult to cut, but I'll get there.

• oldcrafty
    12 years ago

It's looking really good....The finished piece should really be a ....WOW

• loribee2
    12 years ago

Oooh, pretty! Love the colors. Can't wait to see it done!

• texaswild
    12 years ago

Looks Great! I am using Slow's computer as I am visiting her>Calamity-j.

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, all!

Hi Slow and Calamity! I did wonder if you had made it to Texas. We will look for pics of you two working on the fountain wall.

I've been trying to get thin rectangles of mirror to go vertically around the handle, but I may end up finishing it with broken shards of mirror instead.

• fldirt
    12 years ago

Nice work....love the colors. Can't wait to see the final product.

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

I just love this idea. I have some trowels that really irritate me to use cuz they pinch my hand or are really dull by design, but I just have never gotten rid of them. mosaic would be perfect! I'm eager to see how you display it.

Kathy

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Kathy and fldirt.

I was stuck on the mirror because I wanted to use mirror leftover from a bathroom remodel but it's too thick for small strips. I bought a thinner craft mirror this weekend which should work better. At least I have plenty of mirror shards for a future project.

Shirley

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

I go to a glass company to buy the thin mirror. Last time I went, they had several large scraps of it, and gave it to me free. The very thin stuff is wonderful for mosaics. Check out your local glass companies for cheaper than hobby shops craft mirror.

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the tip calamity j. I used a coupon at Michael's but was definitely thinking it would be expensive for a larger project.

How's the wall project going?

• texaswild
    12 years ago

Again, the above message is from SLOW. I just delivered CALAM to the airport. She must've forgotten to log off my computer. The wall project was grouted several days ago. I had most of it done b/f CALAM arrived. I mosaiced and hung a heart over a rebar stake day b/f yesterday. Have to mortar, mosaic and grout a flower I have built and put over a rebar stake, and am in the process of making a huge butterfly to cover the last rebar stake. Those are the only two things left on the wall. Then, of course, I have to dig out the area in front, put in compost and plants.

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks slow, that was certainly a bit confusing.

Glad to know the visit went well and the wall is coming along. Would love to see pictures.

• loribee2
    12 years ago

Ditto on the wall pictures! :-D

• texaswild
    12 years ago

I won't post another picture until it's completed and the plants are in. Didn't mean to hijack this thread.

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ready to grout!

It was worth the time and effort to get the mirrors right. When I first pictured doing this piece I visualized the mirror strips going around like that and would not give up until it worked. The gold beads will go back on the top of the handle after the grout.

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Its beautiful1 Love the mirrors on the handle. It was worth getting the thinner mirrors so you could do it.
    What color grout?
    Kathy

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, the thinner mirror is much easier to work with. I'll still use the thicker mirror pieces for projects that are more random.

Right now it's dark grout on the handle and probably light gray on the blade. In going through the archives here, dark grout will definitely look better on the handle. The lighter grout is the look I want for the blade.

Shirley

• texaswild
    12 years ago

What a wonderful little project. You're done a great job too. Looks pretty enough to be a pendant.

• october17
    12 years ago

Very cool project. Did you grout it yet?

• ernie85017, zn 9, phx
    12 years ago

It looks like a royal scepter!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor