Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texaswild

Lady of Guadalupe Grotto WIP

texaswild
12 years ago

The beginning. Top part needs another layer of lath. The two sides w/be tall square planters w/all four sides of the tops cut into the arch shapes - crosses on each as well as this piece shown. Trying to figure out how to put the sunken water feature underneath - five gallon bucket w/a liner around it and above so that any splashing water w/be funneled back into the bucket - and lighting around it all. GRRRRRRRR making it up as I go, and hate it when I don't know how to do what I want to do. Any advice w/be most welcome. Like Gone w/the Wind star - "Fiddle de de, I'll worry about it tomorrow".

Beginning the Grotto

Comments (81)

• loribee2
    12 years ago

Wow, it looks like a real leaf! This is going to be adorable. I'm so impressed that you can create a vision that has so many elements then pull it all together.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well I broke the tip on the leaf, and not happy w/my mending, so gotta make another one. Got the shrine mortared and another coat of the Ultra Flex II mortar to cover some of the warts. Most of this w/be painted, so didn't want the lath showing. Worked all day yesterday in 100 degree heat and two hrs. in this afternoon's 102.5 degree. Don't know why I always seem to be making large projects in this awful TX heat. Was so anxious to get it up and ready I didn't mind the heat. The water feature backsplash is the first plumbing cover I made for the front fountain. Luckily, I didn't toss it out when the plumbing had to be enlarged and another cover made. Also, this serves as a cover for a metal rod sticking up - like the one on the bead pole, and needed some decorations. Decided the splash needed a fancy top, so added the curlyques. Ready for mortar tomorrow.
    Grotto progress

• nicethyme
    12 years ago

oooo, it looks great- you are amazing - I couldn't tolerate that heat much less go out in it if I didn't have to.

sorry to read of your leaf breaking off, thats a bummer.

love the curly Qs on the top

• loribee2
    12 years ago

Wow, I'm always so amazed at how quickly you work! It looks awesome already. It's so fun to see it in it's future spot. Your yard is so pretty!

• klinger
    12 years ago

Slow, this is really looking spectacular. I love how it is coming along. When you make your next leaf I'd recommend you let it set up for at least a week before you do any handling of it. Especially with the hot temps you have it needs a chance to cure to become stronger.Keep it damp.Even soak it in water for a stronger cure.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh thank you, KLINGER, for that info. I was also thinking I'll use the Ultra Flex II, instead of the mortar. I forgot to put fortifier into the mortar too. That certainly makes sense - what you suggest. I dropped it on the table, is why it broke. The electrical box won't be installed for awhile anyway. Juan w/dig the trench for the pvc next Wed., then I don't know when Tracy w/have time to run the wiring. Many thanks, y'all.

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

That's looking so good, it will be amazing when it's done.

• Imsunflwr1
    12 years ago

You are so amazing, Slow... and so is your Grotto! Really coming along beautifully! I took notes on Klinger's suggestions. I have to say that I'm with Nicethyme about the heat... I can't imagine working in those temps no matter how excited I am! It gets up to 80 and I'm a worn out noodle! :)

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Today's progress. Middle part needs to be darker - a trip to the paint store is gonna drag me away from it. Having this much fun outta be a sin. After painting the tourquois darker, I'll add mirror stars inside, then????? Jeannie, my friend, gave me the blue glasses - from Libbey Glass in Shreveport - not far from me, and I couldn't resist using them. The glasses across the back don't show up very well.
    Shrine Progress

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

LOVE the Blue Glass! WOW! YOU are Amazing! Just whipping it out!

• oldcrafty
    12 years ago

It is ALL looking so awesome.....you are a true inspiration. You make me want to get out and get busy. How on earth are you dealing with this Texas heat?!?!?!?

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, y'all. CRAFTY - the heat - once I'm out and get to working every day, I get used to it. It's not so bad, if you work out every day. I'm having so much fun, I surely can't wait until fall to get this done. And, what's keeping you from "getting out and getting busy" w/something outside the box - hmmmmmmmmmmm??? This technique is so addictive, I can't stop. Already thinking I might do something else - BIG. Today's progress - getting that statue in there wasn't easy w/my horrible back problem, but since I'm having cataract surgery Monday, I just HAD to do it today. Have unscheduled company coming Sunday for a house/garden tour, and need to clean house tomorrow.
    Friday's Progress

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

On the backsplash to waterfeature, yesterday I brushed on a soupy layer of Ultra Flex II to the mortared structure. I mosaiced the appliques on fiberglass screen, since it's too hot to work outside. I grouted them yesterday. This allows me to apply them as one piece. Then I adhered black lava rocks around them directly to the backsplash. This has opened up a whole bunch of possibilities. I've never tried working on mesh, and because it's so hot outside, I decided now was the time to try it. I like it. On the shrine, the concrete was poured in a formless mold. Had the yardman dig down about three/four inches, neaten up the sides, and poured the mortar in. Got the Mexican Beach Pebbles put in this morn b/f the heat chased me inside. Still pondering what to put around the front border. Top planters have Asparagus Ferns, bottom planters - Miniature Roses, Urns have Knockout Roses and Varigated Lariope underneath the shrine.
    Latest

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

That looks great too. You are amazing. That looks so authentic, it really feels like Mexico. Reminds me so much of the days when we could wander the countryside and visit tiny villages with the most colorful displays created straight from the heart.

• nanatricia
    12 years ago

Looking great!!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, you two!!! ROCK: That comment really thrills me. I was just thinking last evening that I should ask some questions re what else I need to do to make it look authentic. I'm not a Catholic, but I love the art of the Church, and LOVE Mexican art. That's why I go to Puerto Vallarta every year - to get a recharge for inspiration. I welcome any ideas from any of you on what to add next. I have a few yet to do, but welcome suggestions.

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Paper or plastic......flowers.

Not really joking either!

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

I love how you are going all along the fence/property line. Are the back sides plain mortar? I would love to do that on one side of our yard if we ever get the property line straightened out (we want to buy an additional narrow strip if our neighbor will sell.)
    Marvelous work.
    Kathy

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ROCK: Great idea. That was one of my ideas too, but I didn't know how to bring it off. I had planned to put vases for flowers, but hadn't decided to actually put plastic flowers in, but now I will. I sure won't be cutting flowers to put in water - too busy. Thanks for the suggestion on plastic. Haven't seen any paper flowers in years, except in Mexico. W/they hold up in the weather? I might look for some next trip ti P.V. I'm also thinking of beads - hung on the crosses. CONCRETE: Yes, plain mortar - mostly covered w/neighbor's trees/bushes. I can get behind the shrine, but I couldn't on the fountain surround. My neighbor doesn't keep his yard anyway, so the back is covered w/foliage and junk vines, so is totally hidden. When I finish playing w/the front on the shrine, I'll probably paint the back side. The water feature w/be worked on both sides, cuz as I exit the back gate, it's visible, and I want it to be pretty too.

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

The paper flowers would be for special occasions and temporary. We can find them at the Mercado downtown most of the year and even at our local Walmart during fiesta.

Mostly I see the silk flowers these days although there seem to be plenty of faded plastic ones around. Festooning the shrine with beads and garlands of flowers would definitely make it more authentic looking. Try to find some "milagros" or charms to add to the beads.

I see lemons in water in front of little shrines at the Mexican restaurants here, but don't know what the significance is.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have some milagros from my first visit to PV - bought them at the huge church downtown. I'll definitely put some silk flowers out, plus beads and milagros. Where do you live?

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

I'm in San Antonio, the same state but about a eight hour drive away from you. It's not hard to find that stuff here. There are places around town that still feel a lot like Mexico.

The grotto here is Our Lady of Lourdes. I've attached a link. If you get time, try to find some of the Fiesta events at the grotto on Youtube.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Lady of Lourdes

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I had seen your page saying you were in TX, and from what you'd said, I figured you were in San Antonio. I haven't been there since right after my DH died in '93. I LOVE San Antonio, especially the River Walk. I soooo wish it were closer - I'd be visiting there very often. We lived in Round Rock at the time I last visited. That grotto is absolutely BEAUTIFUL.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

I like the candle theme and I KNOW that Slow might have a few spare candles she could add to that Shrine!(I lit 38 candles on her "wall"and patio, one night I was there!)It looks amazing and is coming along so good!The first thing I thought of was: This needs a solar spotlight!!!heh heh! But seriously Slow, It does!!!!! I bet it would look Super Amazing at night with a solar spotlight!!!! BLING!

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Wow jane, that would be a beautiful sight with all those candles.

Round Rock is a lot closer than Texarkana for sure. We mostly go to the Riverwalk when we have visitors. We enjoy going there, but parking and crowds can be a hassle. There are other neighborhoods and family restaurants around town we enjoy as much. My favorite part of the Riverwalk is the museum area where there are fun outdoor art installations, free parking, and the food is better.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Little miss CALAM, I had already planned to put a solar light, candles, of course, and am trying to figure out how to run a string of miniature outdoor lights around the arch inside the shrine. I shoulda added some hooks when I was building it, but I always goof up on that sort of planning. I'll figure it out somehow. It HAS to have lights for company, and holidays. The next thing I have to figure out is how to tie the shrine to the water feature. Uh oh, Juan - more digging in root-bound soil. Re the 38 candles CALAM lit on the patio, it was a beautiful sight. After the guests of the dinner party left, I had to run in and wash my hair cuz we were going to church next morning. When I came back outside, the place looked like an airport runway. I have to say, it was absolutely beautiful.

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Looked in the album and didn't see pics, sometimes you just get mesmerized and enjoy the moment.

The Command hooks are available in a waterproof/outdoor version so that might work for your lights.

A mosaic path between the two. A bench for viewing. More daylilies and flowers.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Don't understand the "Command hooks", ROCK, but am thinking of how I can adhere some decorative hooks on the inside. Yes, I'm planning a path - sorta a border for the plants, but don't have the particulars yet. That's a shady back yard, and has Azaleas already. I transplanted some summer long blooming Hydrangeas, but they're looking sad in the heat. May have to take them out. Not much room for a bench - it's a narrow segway from my garage area to the back yard gate. I'm planning a small bench in an area nearby - for CALAM - in the corner next to neighbors Darrell and Jennie - beautiful little secluded corner.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Found the Command Hooks, ROCK, and thanks for that - those w/be perfect. Finished the water feature except for landscapting, of course, and it's working. The sun is so bright I couldn't get a good photo of the leaf. Decided not to mosaic the whole thing, so put on the terra cotta stain, which blends w/the lava rocks. If you double click on the image, you get a closeup.
    Water feature working

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

That water feature looks awesome. You work so fast! Guess that's why your username fits so well.

Should have put a link to Command hooks in my post. Glad you figured it out though. You can get them just about any of the big box stores or online if you need specific ones. They hold tight, don't harm the finish and leave no marks when you take them off. Just about perfect as you say.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

I am sooo JEALOUS!!! Lord Forgive me...I cannot stand myself! I so LOVE it all and wish I was back there seeing it in person! I wanna quit my job and play in the yard! And make my yard as fun and exciting as Slow's!!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well thanks, y'all. That makes me smile this morning. CALAM - wish you were here also - to mosaic the floor in front of the shrine. I admit that I'm having so much fun w/this garden stuff and the technique that changed my life. Two projects - the giant sphere and an Elephant Ear leaf casting for a birdbath pedestal that I've finished - bubbling in my head right now, so I'm anxious to get on w/this project to get the finishing touches done. Wish I didn't have to sleep and rest my back.

• loribee2
    12 years ago

WOWOW! I go away for a week and look what you've done!! Slow, this is absolutely adorable! I definitely do think we need to Slowyoudown, LOL! Like Jane, I wish I could see it in person. I can almost hear the water running off that beautiful leaf. I'll bet it's very serene.

Great work! You've got me inspired to get off my duff and finish some of these projects I've been working on. I play acoustic guitar and I've been spending the last few weeks practicing songs to play for my family at a reunion we just had (it went well--made my parents cry LOL). But now I'm back home and ready to spend some time out in my workshop. I'm determined to get the sea serpent done before I start anything new!

So inspiring to see all the great projects here!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, LORI: We await seeing progress on Mr. Sea. I'm having so much fun w/this project I can't put it into words. Still needs tweaking - more flowers in the terra cotta tube, plants in the other two tubes, borders and black mulch. Have a huge area to work all around this area, but have to wait on yard man and my head gardner for heavy lifting. I literally had to roll those tubes on the ground to get them there - can't lift much anymore.
    Progress report

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Your backyard grotto/fountain just keeps on getting better and better with each progress pic.

Your work reminds me of so many places, but I finally remembered that a Botanica captures that same spirit.

I've attached a link to one here in San Antonio just for fun.

Here is a link that might be useful: Botanica Alameda San Antonio

• nanatricia
    12 years ago

Girl that is looking so good !!!! I am so loving it!!
    What is the name of the plants on the ground ?Those grasses !

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, ROCK - thanks for the link. I've seen those places in my travels. Think I've seen pictures of them in New Orleans too. Wish I could visit San A. Love that city, what little I've seen of it. Since my DH was a history lover, I saw mostly the Alamo area. NANA: Thank you so much. The grasses are a wonderful border plant - Variegated Liriope.

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Too hot to be out today, so I decided to check out Austin Yard Art tour photos and found this great image. Love this house!

Here is a link that might be useful: Austin Bottle House

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OMGoodness. How I'd love to take that tour. Wish I'd seen more of the art in Austin when I lived in Round Rock. LOVE that whole area. What an interesting mosaic. Makes me want to do another shrine. I managed to put on some decorations this morning, and laid a few borders by 10:00 - just couldn't work any longer in the horrible heat. It's 106.8 right now, and is going to 108 w/no rain in sight. Sure miss playing outside.

• Imsunflwr1
    12 years ago

Good Grief that is HOT!!! And here I am whining about the 90's, although were getting some relief now. Just checkin'in with you to make sure you're ok?

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

We are gonna get UP to 72 today!!!! 7:30am and it is 57 degrees, sheesh! Poor Slow, you must really be pouting...no playing outside....you could try a glass on glass!?!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Even though it's been unbearably hot, I go out early enough to get a couple hrs. yard work done. Been pulling out all the Day Lilies that have gone back to their original bulb stock. Used to have some luscious one, but they all changed back to the tall yellows, and I got sick of them. Doing away w/the fence line beds. Hired a landscaper to come on Wed to clean up and plant grass seed. I decided to let him finish laying the concrete borders and mulch the shrine area for me. I was killing my back. I can do a little yard work and pull a few weeds every day, and that's satisfying enough. Should be able to post a picture of the finished shrine/water feature on Wed. afternoon. Re mosaicing, I glued a tiki torch to hold a blue wine bottle that I made last week -hate it but gonna grout this afternoon, and put it up somewhere - gotta get the hardware to put into the bottle top. After that's up, and a little more yard work finished, I gotta start birthday and Christmas presents. Doing three of my Elephant Ears leaf casting tomorrow w/neighbor and her friend in my workshop/garage. This message is too long!

• Imsunflwr1
    12 years ago

Glad you're surviving ok... and even getting something done! I'm impressed! I don't think anything or anyone can "slow you down"! LOL! Please post pics of your leaf castings when you get them done. I had my class a few weeks ago, did a hosta leaf and am pretty pleased with it. Did a rhubarb leaf the other day on my own using thinset. Not a good idea... way to sticky! Never again! Hope to make more someday.

Can hardly wait to see pics of your finished shrine!

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

It's only 102 here, practically a cold front!

I get out every morning also, but mostly has to be the garden work so waiting a few weeks to grout the trowel project.

Looking forward to seeing the big reveal of all your projects, slow.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Landscaper forgot to plant the Liriope, so it's not finished yet, but this w/be the last pictures. Tired of this project, and ready for another. I didn't do a leaf casting today cuz at 4:00 a.m, while I'm lying awake, I changed my design, so w/be starting a fanciful birdbath bowl, made up of three leaf castings - IF I can pull it off. BTW - CALAM - note the little cherubs on the inside and on the sides. We found the ones on the sides - w/the artificial roses - while Janeybo was here - at the Goodwill - bone, made in Mexico.
    Almost finished

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Perfection! The artificial roses, cherubs, and candles are authentic touches that literally transports it to a tiny village in Mexico.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much ROCK. That makes me feel my mission to build a shrine to house the wonderful gift CALAM gave me a success.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

It is just so Lovely! BOTH! And love the landscaping edging too! The last/finishing touch! All that in just over a month! AND eye surgery thrown in! I am in humble adoration!!!! I just finished 10 work days in a row(people on holidays) and hope to get going on something...well, a few things! ya ya, I know, less talk, more doing!ha! But really Slow...who can hold a candle to you and your determination/obsession!!!

• Imsunflwr1
    12 years ago

My chin is on the ground! That is just beautiful! What a huge project that was and you did such an amazing job. Is there nothing that you won't tackle? :)

I have my seat reserved to watch your "Fanciful Birdbath" come to life! Sounds intriguing!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well y'all sure know how to make this lady smile. If I could, I'd do one of those deep southern bows in humble thanks. Started on the birdbath bowl, but it's a difficult one, so gotta think some things out.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals