Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mfbpa

Cups, What to do with them?

mfbpa
10 years ago

I'm busy cleaning up my hut today, I can't work with a big mess all around me, I can't get to my stuff! LOL

Anyhow, I have 4 BIG boxes of cups, what was I thinking collecting and saving these things, what on earth can I do with them? Would love some ideas, but better yet, if you (Slo) have any sites with "cup work", please share.

thanks!

Comments (6)

• silvamae
    10 years ago

Here's a cute idea.

• texaswild
    10 years ago

See, Jeri: As soon as you ask for something on this forum, your cup usually runneth over w/ideas. Sorry folks, it was a perfect opportunity. SILVA - that's a wonderful post. I can see these cups filled w/succulents. I have a whole bunch of cups too. Might have to use this idea. I think that w/be a perfect project for Janeybo and me to work on while she's here. Thank you so much, MFB for asking, and you, SILVA for coming back w/that. I don't have a thing to offer.

• silvamae
    10 years ago

I like that cup idea so much, I am planning to make one for myself as soon as this Open House thing is over. I love succulents, and this wonderful plant nursery up the road, LandArt, has beautiful little succulents for sale.

• phish_gw
    10 years ago

I love this. Thanks for posting! But how in the world can you cut the cups in half straight so they have a (relatively) straight back to glue against the board while keeping at least one half intact?

• silvamae
    10 years ago

I use Leponnit wheeled nippers. Position the wheels just inside the opening of the cup, straight up and down, near the handle, and squeeze. The cup breaks in half almost perfectly, almost every time. If you want a sure thing, then you can cut the cup in half using a ring saw. Practice on a cup you don't care about.

• texaswild
    10 years ago

My ring saw wouldn't permit me to get a cup under it. I bought a cheapy Harbor Freight tile saw w/an open blade up from the table on which you guide the cups, vases, bowls, bottles. It was only $60. Has been outside these few years, and still is my favorite tool. Haven't used the ring saw in years.

When you position your wheeled nippers on the side of the cup handle - say on the right side - point the wheels slightly away to the right of center. Then turn your nipper over for the left side of the handle and point it slightly away - to the left - of center. Then w/you nippers, trim any areas necessary for a straight handle piece. Different ceramics cut different ways. Sometimes you get a perfect cut - other times - not so much. Takes practice too.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz