Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cups, What to do with them?

Posted by mfbpa (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 14:39

I'm busy cleaning up my hut today, I can't work with a big mess all around me, I can't get to my stuff! LOL

Anyhow, I have 4 BIG boxes of cups, what was I thinking collecting and saving these things, what on earth can I do with them? Would love some ideas, but better yet, if you (Slo) have any sites with "cup work", please share.

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cups, What to do with them?

Here's a cute idea.

o

See, Jeri: As soon as you ask for something on this forum, your cup usually runneth over w/ideas. Sorry folks, it was a perfect opportunity. SILVA - that's a wonderful post. I can see these cups filled w/succulents. I have a whole bunch of cups too. Might have to use this idea. I think that w/be a perfect project for Janeybo and me to work on while she's here. Thank you so much, MFB for asking, and you, SILVA for coming back w/that. I don't have a thing to offer.

o

I like that cup idea so much, I am planning to make one for myself as soon as this Open House thing is over. I love succulents, and this wonderful plant nursery up the road, LandArt, has beautiful little succulents for sale.

o

I love this. Thanks for posting! But how in the world can you cut the cups in half straight so they have a (relatively) straight back to glue against the board while keeping at least one half intact?

o

I use Leponnit wheeled nippers. Position the wheels just inside the opening of the cup, straight up and down, near the handle, and squeeze. The cup breaks in half almost perfectly, almost every time. If you want a sure thing, then you can cut the cup in half using a ring saw. Practice on a cup you don't care about.

o

My ring saw wouldn't permit me to get a cup under it. I bought a cheapy Harbor Freight tile saw w/an open blade up from the table on which you guide the cups, vases, bowls, bottles. It was only $60. Has been outside these few years, and still is my favorite tool. Haven't used the ring saw in years.

When you position your wheeled nippers on the side of the cup handle - say on the right side - point the wheels slightly away to the right of center. Then turn your nipper over for the left side of the handle and point it slightly away - to the left - of center. Then w/you nippers, trim any areas necessary for a straight handle piece. Different ceramics cut different ways. Sometimes you get a perfect cut - other times - not so much. Takes practice too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here