Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mermaidmosaics

Loggerhead Sea Turtle WIP

Mermaid
15 years ago

Have been planning to do this for a long time. This will go in our new pool bathroom which has 3 shades of Illiminati tiles in paradise, st kitts and a combination.

This is very early playing and i find if i take a pix and look back on the item i am mosaicing, , it really helps me "see" what others are seeiing.

I do see i need to rearrange all of these tiles LOL! and take many off and then look for an irridescent brownish beigh to make her really pop.

any ideas??

Comments (27)

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

no ideas but I love those colors!

• stjohnsgypsy
    15 years ago

Me tooo!

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

I like what you have there, especially that mother-of-pearl looking tile in the middle! Looking forward to seeing this!

• texaswild
    15 years ago

W/be a great piece - nice colors and a mix of tesserae. If you are hanging it, I hope you're not like GYPSIE and me - too anxious to get started b/f putting the hanger on the back FIRST.

• crackpotannie
    15 years ago

I think it's looking feat and love the colors and design,I wouldn't change much.Add me to your list Slow I never am smart enough to put a hook on first!!!

• crackpotannie
    15 years ago

Sure wish this site would let you make corrections..these old hands meant looking GREAT!

• ladyronnie
    15 years ago

I LOVE sea turtles :) This one is looking good.

A suggestion, first thing I thought when I saw it...The tiles along the edges, which will define her from the background, could be more squared than rounded, lined up more, to give a nice clean line. Just my opinion :)

• texasfern
    15 years ago

I agree with LadyR. Good idea to define the outline, that in itself will make it pop. Since these turtles have design in thier shells, keep in mind the design your grout lines will make.
    I love the colors. This is gonna be great!

• Mermaid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much gals!! I appreciate the feedback. This is my first mish mash of ideas and need to hear just what you all are saying.

more square around the edges and DEFINATELY lined up, right now I just threw them together and there is no space or reason, just my muddled up brain thinking LOL!!! Thanks Lady and Texas for that tip

and Slow and Annie, I learned that the hard way. I, I think it has a keyhole in the back but I better check. I go gang ho too and leap be4 i look so to speak

by the way, we are very very lucky to be in the top place in north america for nesting grounds, we get to see them in real time crawl up to lay their babies and they are so AWESOME, I can't really describe it.

• ladyronnie
    15 years ago

MERMAID: So where IS the top place in NA for nesting grounds?

• Mermaid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lady,

check this out. Saw two ladies treading water last week waiting until nightfall to come ashore..

unfortunately you can't use flashes or have any light so I can't tell their true colors for mosaicing except by pix. see brought mosaics back in

Here is a link that might be useful: archie carr wildlife refuge

• Mermaid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My oh my.. i have had trouble with this little gal. Tried so many different ways and finally yesterday it came to me and here she is. She has blue glitter tiles for eyes, a teeny portion of glow in the dark tiles by her tail.

She is ungrouted but hope to do tomorrow. Any ideas on grout colors??

Sorry pix aren't too great . I took them in the late afternoon with thunderstorms all around still a pix is worth a thousand words right?? Will show pix when i grout hopefully they will be better cuz this really doesn't show the different shell compartments oh well.. too tired with struggling with her to take other pix.

still might rework her face, it's funny, almost looks like a took a pix of her crawling up to dig her nest at night.. wierd

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Beautiful! Reworking the outline really made a big difference! Great job!
    I have no clue about grout...maybe greyish/green?
    Looking forward to seeing this finished!

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Hey, girlie - looks a lot better. After it's grouted, you'll see the divisions much better. Gonna be a real beauty w/the different colors. I agree w/CINDI - the dark green is my latest favorite color. If you have access to Hydroment color chart on grout at your tile store - or maybe online, check the darkest green. It's WONDERFUL - almost black, but it's really a nice color for just about everything.

• Mermaid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, took Slow and Cindi's suggestion and grouted top of Madam Loggy with mix of dark aqua and charcoal for a dark greenish black color.

then decided needed to tile side so here she is, now need to grout the sides and she will be done.

oh, for a lark i mosaiced a door sign, one side says we're at the pool with an arrow, that is grouted but not sealed, other side says tropical on top, Island Paradise on side and Gone to the beach, will be back whever LOL, that isn't grouted yet. i love to add words to mosaics which is why i am so excited about trying Laurie Mika's clay ideas..

oh one more question. Should I grout madam loggy's sides the same color as her shell?? Or use another one??? Thanks

• texaswild
    15 years ago

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!! Also like your sign. I've been planning to make myself one for over a year. All I have on my front door is a sticky note saying "If I don't answer go around back to the workshop door". It's your turtle, you can put any color grout you want to on her. I sometimes don't get my grouts the exact shade when I'm mixing colors, but it doesn't bother me a BIT. I really like the color you used. You've done a terrific job on her and your sign. What's next???

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Madam looks beautiful!! I thought that green would look good! I would grout the sides, too.
    The sign is cool, love all those bright colored letters!
    Great job on both!

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Excellent job on both!!! LOVE the purple!!! And your turtle is too pretty for words! Good job! I'd grout the sides the same too, I think it would give it a 3d-ish touch. You should be very proud of such a great accomplishment!!!

• Mermaid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK, Presenting Madam Loggy. She is grouted on her sides with a mix of the dark aqua and charcoal, with butter cream mixed in LOL They are lighter on their sides.. (Science experiment)

I think she turned out fairly good, still not happy with her face, but don't feel like rearranging- just needs sealer and I'll post a pix of her hanging on the wall

sorry for the glued up worktable. what a mess

• texaswild
    15 years ago

She's adorable - GREAT job mosaicing. Hey, don't knock messy work tables - Mine is the Queen of MESS.

• Louisiana_greetings
    15 years ago

madam loggy looks great, love to see her on the wall. did you make her outta wood, styro or other, and then mosaic?
    bonnie

• scootsmom
    15 years ago

She is so cool. I love the colors you used on her.Fabulous!!

Allyson

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Good job! Lovely! A clean work table is proof of creativity!!!lol!

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

Oh She's beautiful!!!! love the designs and colors!

• Mermaid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Calmaity, I do think mosaicing the side really did give a 3d effect, almost like she is crawling off the table. She thought it was too dirty , Slow, LOL. actually I had spent quite some time trying to clean that mess. Just bought another 6' table since I don't have enough room to set up my beetle bits

I do love the deep blue purple glass on the sign, need to buy more of it, I just love all irridescent glass

Allyson, glad you like her.
    Slow and Cindi, hmm, next projects is the backsplash in our bathroom with the glow in the dark tile, very simple job of just a few rows to keep the water from splashing on the walls. and then I want to do the seashell light fixture like Klinger.. and so many other things i want to do not enough time in the day

• Mermaid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

oh i missed your message NT, thank you means a lot coming from all you queens of mosaics/etc. really

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

I saw this earlier today and thought I commented but guess not...sometimes I get confused cuz of the preview before the actual post, somtimes the caffiene takes a while to kick in, lol! Anyway, she turned out just BEE-YOU-TEE-FULL!!!!Doing the sides was the perfect finished touch, it does give her more of a 3d look! Pat yourself on the back cuz you created a wonderful work of art!!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor