Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bottle Cap Mosaic?

Posted by patty__em (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 24, 10 at 13:20

I am so thrilled to have found this site.I took a few stained glass courses yrs ago and loved them. Just started getting inspired by this site and have alreay completed covering a gazing ball with pieces of stained glass, small tiles , shell and glass fish. I'll post pics soon!
Before I figure out a grout, my 9 yo dgtr and I want to make a shelf for our baker's rack that is on a covered screened porch. We have enough bottle caps to cover the shelf which is around 18 x 32 inches. Any sugestions on the type of base? Do I need to fill in the back of each bottle cap,or can I leave an air pocket? It will get humid, but not wet and I'll take it inside each winter.

Thanks!
Patty

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bottle Cap Mosaic?

One of our members - TEXAS FERN - uses bottle caps in a beautiful way. She fills them w/colored glass etc. and pours that clear epoxy (or rats - can't think of the name of it) over them. She inspired me to use them also. I went to a local bar to get a huge bag of them, and I save my beer bottles and caps also. I put in half marbles w/black silicon and sink BBs into the silicon to surround the gem. An example of the way I've used them are in my gift album. The sides of the pet grave marker, I made for a friend, show the bottoms of bottles surrounded w/the bottle caps mentioned above. BTW - welcome to the forum.
Pet Grave Marker

o

I would probly fill the back of the cap,for uniformity and so they wouldnt dent and for better adhesion. for waterproofness of a substrate cement board or wedi. even with humidity you will eventually have warping etc, but it will last a few years Id guess if you used marine plywood or something of that nature sealed well and brought in, kept in a covered area. You could also use some sort of board and skim coat it with concrete, then you wouldnt have to worry from what Ive been told, but there would be the weight issue.
Make sure whatever you use has no flex to it, it must be sturdy or your grout will pop off. I have a collection of colorful bottlecaps to use oneday. here is a pic of a very cool bottle cap mosaic.

Here is a link that might be useful: mosaic

o

Oh, WACKY - I remember seeing that mosaic, and how much I admired it. Absolutely beautiful.

o
RE: Bottle Cap Mosaic? - and

Oh, WACKY - I remember seeing that mosaic, and how much I admired it. Absolutely beautiful.

o

wow, that's really neat - but they don't look like bottle caps at all in the pic they look like those little glass marble bead things they put in flower vases. How do you get them to look like that?
(I just wandered here from the garden web where I normally hang out)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here