Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Slump Might be Over Soon w/Fantasy Fish

Posted by slowmedown (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 08 at 13:14

When I decided to mosaic a plaque to go behind my new fountain, my DD jumped up and said "Do a fish". I highly objected cuz I couldn't imagine how to do fish. She insisted it HAD to be a fish. I gave in, hurriedly sketched some semblances of what I thought looked like fish. Didn't like working on it, 'twas a grouting nightmare, don't like it now, can't pick it up, gotta hire help to install it, and so THERE!!! Now that my work table is clear (this sucker has been sitting there for weeks w/my dreading to finish), I MIGHT be over the slump. There's a huge hole below/left of the start fish I gotta fill, then the final clean up, and sealing it to make the rocks/shells/grout shiny and she's done. At least one end of the table w/be clear until I can get Juan to come help install it. Oh, sorry to be wordy but the detail shows a teensy yellow shard of something I gleaned off the beach in Bucerias, along w/lots of other stuff on the bottom - there are lots of Bucerias pieces in this, as well as a few shells I picked off the beach in Kuwait. I was gleaning behind Janeybo, and was too tired by the end of our day to move further up the beach, so was sooooo proud to have found even a teensy bit of color after Eagle Eye Janey.
Fantasy Fish

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Slump Might be Over Soon w/Fantasy Fish

Oh, that is great!! I love the red lips you gave the fish...It's so cool you have bits and pieces from all over the world in there!!

o

Another Slow Showpiece!!! It is so SLow...I love this...you are really something girl..............I'm still in a mosaic slump/meltdown...whatever.

o

Slow, I just finished looking at all of your stuff and must say, I love it all...can you tell me about that totem with the round thingys? They don't look like bowling balls.. what the heck are they? Thanks.. Dottie

o

Dear Slow-Betty, I REALLY like your Fanta-Sea Fish :)
AND I just LOVE that I have been IN your workshop. Just gives me warm fuzzies.

I need a slump-butt-kicker myself. After the strawberry (for which I STILL need to fashion a deeper base) I just haven't been able to start anything else. It doesn't help that my craft room is still a dump after the berry finally made its exit. Keep posting, maybe I'll get inspired to create something. I do have that drawing for another Riana sculpture...

o

Queen Slow is back!!! I LOVE this one. I want it.. To bad it's too heavy, or might have to make a midnight run up to Texarkana and help those little fishies move towards the sea to Florida!!! LOL.

oh my.. i really do love this one and it is so very cool that it represents all kinds of places you have traveled so whenever you look at it, there you'll be. And your DD had a say in this works also. Very nice very slow.. keep then coming, no more of those slumps. K?

How BIG is this piece??? And what did you make it out of??

o

Slow, love the fantasy fish. All the different kinds of items you incorporated into the piece is a great way to save a memory. All your pieces are fabulous. I'm glad you are out of your slump!

I have a question about your totem columns. How are they secured together?

o

I don't know what more I can add...this is AWESOME!!
Sorry you didn't enjoy working on it...that's no fun.
Now you can work on something that rocks your socks...
Oh, and will you show us a picture after it's installed behind the new fountain? Thanks!

o

Dang it! I can't get the picture! I'm sure it's wonderful. Gonna come back later and try again.

Be Safe, Rach

o

G'morning, y'all, and thanks again. CHICKEN - I can't get in either. Tried last evening, and can't get in. Have been trying several access attempts, and I can't even get into my pictures on Photobucket off the net. I keep getting an add from Atspace or something to that effect. W/answer questions now and then try to figure out what's happened to my Photobucket acct. Guess I have too many pictures. Have any of you had trouble lately? EMTENEST - the totem you mentioned must be the clay pots I painted and used to cover a pole in my back yard. It is set in concrete, so had to leave it. I think it was one of three poles for a flowering vines. I call this the bead pole. I enlarged the holes in the bottoms of the pots, and made concrete filler "beads" w/concrete in a gelatin mold. They are not attached, just two pots facing each other, filler bead, another set of pots. SERENE - I'm assuming you're talking about the cinder block pedestals - not adhered either. I move things around too much to do that w/them - all separate blocks. If you're talking about the large one I did for my DD in Dallas, they are flue liner terra cotta tiles - not adhered either, but I did fill the seams w/silicon and stick tiles into it to hide the seams. MER - the fish plaque is 36" square, and is on hardibacker. CINDI, I w/post a picture when it's installed. I gotta deal w/photobuckets now, and if I can't get in, I'll have to move to another site. Seems I'm not the only one in a slump - must be the summer slows. I AM anxious to get started on the birdbath bowl today. Just takes a little mosaicing to cure the slows. Thanks again, y'all.

o

Slow I just love this piece. I could get in to see it and I really love the whimsical eyelashes on the fish. Love all the pieces from Bucerias and Kuwait. Wonderful to incorporate them.You were lucky to get anything with eagle eye Janie on the prowl, she;s sooo quick. I'm glad you're out of your slump, and it looks so wonderful,
Cindy

o

I's almost noon Michigan time and I can see your pictures just fine

o

Can't figure it out - I still can't get in, nor to a Photobucket site w/o getting the add for Adspace. Has anyone else reached the limit to where one has to pay for photo storage? I can't even get in to delete photos. ????? Thanks y'all.

o

I have 288 photos with no problem. I can get to all your albums, but it doesn't show me a total of your pictures. I think you have some spyware or someting stopping you from getting in it.

o

LOVE IT SLOW!!! Especially the eyelashes!!! This is very inspiring and I may have to take a break from gardening and get a panel done!!! You know me and my 3d! but am loving this panel sooo much!!! It reminds me of Sam's Hacienda Mosaico Fish Fountain!!! Now Ladies: I grew up on a beach all my born days! so beachcombing is my (My Dad was an actual beachcomber!) way of life!!!heh heh!!!

o

SHRTY: I think you're right. Atspace is blocking me, wanting me to buy/use their photo storage. I ran Spybot, and AVG runs daily, so I don't know what else to do. CALAM: I haven't had time to look at your gardening photos you sent via email yesterday, but from what you describe, you're a team of one - GEESH - wish I had your strength. Yeah, you left NOTHING in your wake on Bucerias beach. Just finished mowing/edging/blowing, and getting ready to bring the birdbath bowl inside to begin. Think I'm going outside the box, and just mosaic in white shards. Don't wanna make a green leaf.

o
RE: The Slump Might be Over Soon w/Fantasy Fish - and

Found a site (if interested, it's the last sight on the page of a Google search for Photobucket) that says Photobucket was hacked by a Turkish hacker. Photobucket says their site was down for an hr. yesterday, but some users w/have troubles longer. One of the commenters says it's Wednesday, and she was still locked out. **sigh** - it's Photobucket's problem.

o
RE: The Slump Might be Over Soon w/Fantasy Fish - Installed

Installed the plaque and re-arranged everything. Two lanterns w/candles aren't shown, but they look so pretty at night w/all the candles lit. This was a LOT of trouble taking everything down and getting the plaque leveled etc. Juan did a good job in 1 1/2 hrs. It sits on the two blocks, and is wired to the fence. Looks unlevel, but it's cuz the fence rail is sloped. It all looks a little contrived, but as GYPSIE says - it is what it is, and I'm DONE w/the plaque!
Plaque Installed

o

Whimsical, wonderful! I love your fish! Your DD was absolutely right about what was needed behind your fountain. They have such personalities! And, by the way, I bet your DD's the OTHER beautiful redhead in your family photos. Am I right?

o

OOoooo, I just want to come over and sit amongst all that beauty and calmness! It looks really, really nice there!

o

I LOVE IT!!!! looks so full of interest!

o

Oh, those family photos - need to take them out. That's the youngest one who lives in Dallas. Oldest one lives here just about four minutes from me, and who dreamed up the fish plaque. Thanks, y'all.

o

The big WOW..........you are so adventurous! Love the setting!

o

Ditto Cindy! Looks so inviting! So colorful!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here