Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meadel2

3 new junk finds for mosaics!

meadel
15 years ago

The "curb store" has been very good to me lately.

I am thinking.. The window had two panes in it, but one was plexiglass and it broke almost in half. If I fill that side with wood, I can put some cork on it and then mosaic the top. If I put it sideways, the right edge is wider and might look odd ( ?) Maybe hooks can be put there?

The chair ( I got 2) I think I can cut the plexi from the window and add to the top and mosaic. I am planning on putting clay pots in the bottom for planters.

The SG chandelier my dh brought home ( the 2nd one he gave me!) It's all intact except the top. I have no room for one intact.. wondering if I should reconstruct or deconstruct???

Can you think of anything else that these would be good for??

Comments (23)

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Great score! LOVE that window! I like your bulletin board idea, but I would leave it the direction it is now...mosaic the top, bulletin board the bottom.
    The chair(s) is just perfect for putting a pot in! I have no idea about the chandelier....maybe deconstruct and made a windchime out of the pieces? Have FUN!

• meadel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This is what I was thinking of for the window:{{!gwi}}

putting some decorative hooks on the right side ( for apron, pot holder towel etc)

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Well, aren't you the lucky one? Good finds! We never have a pickup for things like that around here, so we don't see them curbside. Wish we DID! Your ideas are fun. We'll be waiting to see the result!

• shrty411
    15 years ago

Great score!!! I like your idea for the window!! I'd deconstruct that chandelier in a heartbeat and use the glass elsewhere

• shellybelly26
    15 years ago

nice finds I have wanted to do a window for so long but i am a lil intimidated. I am still a newbie and I just dont have the skill yet. but I do love the idea of using the cork great for a message center in the kitchen.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

AWESOME Scores!!! Love those chairs and love your idea for the window! It would be a perfect solution, I couldn't even envision that if I had come across it! And I've used an old lamp for the glass and now look for them to "recycle".

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Ahhh, now I see what you mean....YES! That would be AWESOME! Go for it!

• susiesunshine
    15 years ago

WOW ! ! !
    that is terrific !!!
    thanks so much for the pics ! I want to try that !!!
    I have ALL the ingredients to make it happen.....
    You could also do.... MAGNETIC Paint... instead of the
    chalk board...
    I like these ideas !!!
    Thanks for sharing...
    THE CHAIR IS GRRRRREAT !! also
    God Bless
    Susiesunshine

• meadel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I painted the chair lime green. I broke the plexiglas almost in half while taking it out of the window. I was able to get 2 circles out of it,they're pretty ragged.I'm glad that the edges won't be seen.
    Not sure of the pattern I will mosaic on it yet.. some floral for sure. I am leaning towards a rose. ( Not sure why, since I don't usually have a strong feel for them)

I cut out some MDF for the lower window pane and it's painted w/chalkboard paint. I sanded it a bit. I am thinking of painting the wood ( ? or mosaicing it, though that would make it kinda heavy)
    The top will be a variation on the Tuscan scene. (gog) I think I'll put the corks all around the edge instead of just one side. Wadda think?
    {{!gwi}}

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

I think I love that lime green chair and CANNOT WAIT to see what you do on the plexi (insert panting) LOL

• flagtruck
    15 years ago

Flowers for sure on the chair. I am now gone flower crazy since I found out how much fun they are to make from scraps. Can't help you on the window, but love the chair. Copy from the pot I just posted and do a lot of flowers w/ some butterflies.
    Good score. Good luck. Carol

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Oooo, love that lime! I like the cork the way you showed it in the first picture....that way you have cork board and chalk board. Just my 2 cents.

• meadel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the feedback!
    NT, going to try and start tomorrow. ( going to Warners to get some more glass today. Hope I don't melt in the promised heat wave)

Carol. I love your flowers. I don't know if I can do them justice, but lots of flowers on it sound better than a single rose.

Cindiloo, I'll try it both ways and upload it tomorrow. I have to do some minor repairs on that window frame first anyway. The chairs will be first to be done so I can get them planted or sold.

Hey Sunshine! I have the metal filings that you add to primer. I painted a cabinet with it. It is magnetic but only holds light paper w/those thin plastic magnets. It adds texture, but it is pretty cool!

• meadel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I finally finished something. Ok.. where's Spring now ??

{{gwi:131298}}

• rchovey
    15 years ago

That is so cute! I love it! Yeah, where is spring????

• emtnest
    15 years ago

Wow, that is beautiful!!! Great job...

• charmo
    15 years ago

Ole crapola! That chair is gorgious! I want one now!

• texasfern
    15 years ago

Wow and double wow!
    Can't wait to see what the next post will bring!

• meadel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks all ! I am so happy to have the extra space in my craft room. It's outside now ( covered )
    ... @texasfern: If I were a man, the next post would probably have me with a long beard! I am just so pokey...

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

WOW!!! LOVE it! Did you pour that clear stuff over it??? It gives it a fused look!!! LOVE the green paint too!! And wanted to comment/suggest for the window...why not just do the thick side of the frame in cork? Then you'd have mosaic on top, chalk board and a side bit of cork? You're giving me ideas of how I'd like to keep my reciepts to keep track of them, you know, when you get gas,go to the store ect...

• texaswild
    15 years ago

OHMYGOODNESS. Girlie, you surely did a number on that chair. Absolutely gorgeous - it just sparkles. LOVE it.

• squirrellycanadian
    15 years ago

Wow! You really transformed that chair, love the color. It's beautiful!!

• meadel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the complements. It's starting to grow on me, I just had a hard time w/inspiration. I did the luna moth first and was then kind of stuck, so I slapped and glued the rest.
    Calamity, yes, I poured resin over it , the top layer I just used Mac glue and didn't grout. I don't really think that the resin is weather proof. It's outside with a bag over it now until I find some marine varnish to splash over it more.
    I do have one more chair unpainted, but I'll wait for the spring to really come before I start on it.

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm