Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hobbygirl_gw

New Here

hobbygirl
16 years ago

hello everyone, I am new here and I have been studying your posts. I am new to doing mosaic art and here are a few things I have picked up: when grouting I need to use a sanded grout, and it seems most people really like the Weldbond glue adhesive. I am starting out with coasters and flower pots. does anyone have any suggestions? One question I do have is do I need to put anything down on like a pot before I glue the tiles down? Thank you for all of the help you have already provided! Shannon

Comments (11)

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Welcome HOBBY: Glad you've joined us - this is a wonderful bunch, as you've noticed, and very helpful. Here's my two cents. I use Weldbond for ONLY inside mosaics, when I'm gluing on a horizontal surface, cuz I'm too impatient to let it sit for a bit so it gets sticky. Most of us use GE Silicon II for Windows and Doors quite a bit too. For ALL outside mosaics I use thinset for adhesive as well as grouting. It is a good idea, although I seldom remember to do it, to seal terra cotta pots inside and out before gluing. I use Quickcrete brand of masonry/concrete water-based sealer on mine. I once did a stupid thing and sealed a wooden pedestal w/ArmorAll - an oil-based sealer, and all the pieces fell off. Hope this helps, and we anxiously await your first pictures of a WIP.

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Yep follow what Slow say's ....no weldbond outside and all she say's will help you!!!!!Welcome!

• curbdiver1954
    16 years ago

Welcome to the land of smashing, nipping, grinding and cutting! Can't wait to see your work....we LOVE pics here! Oh, and just remember, even tho slowmedown says she only tells us what works for her and doesn't recommend/tell what to do on a problem project, ANYTHING she's used/done successfully WILL work and is quite likely the best way to go!!

Pat

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Y'all crack me UP!!!

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Well, Slow, you are our "test pilot" :-)

Welcome to the insane world of mosaics. You'll never look at a plate the same again

Maria

• d3bbi
    16 years ago

Welcome, Hobby! Look forward to sharing with you and seeing your coasters.

• hobbygirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Slow,

What brand of Thinset do you use, I could find much of a selection at Lowes. I can't remember the name of the one brand, I think it starts with an M - but I can only find it premixed and I read that you should mix yourself. Thank you for all of your help!

Shannon

• texaswild
    16 years ago

You're probably talking about Mapei. That's the kind I use. I buy it by the 25-lb. bags. It has the polymer fortifier already, so you just add water. If you can't get that, any thinset w/do - just add the laytex mixture yourself.

• rchovey
    16 years ago

I'm new here too. Wish I had found this site a long time ago! It's good to find kindred spirits!

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

Wow, welcome to Hobby and rchovey! cool we are growing this forum by leaps and bounds!

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

Hey you newbies WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME...Hobby and Rchovey...you will be soo happy to be here...its kinda like hotel California...YOU CAN NEVER LEAVE!!! ba hah ah ah ha ha ah...just kidding!!!!

Sponsored
TR Granite & Stone Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Countertop in Loudoun County, VA