Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cathyscache

Headboard HELP!!!!!!!!

cathyscache
14 years ago

Hi all, I need help please. I grouted my headboard. It was supposed to be drk brown, well it's not!!! It's an ugly pukey pinkish beige, and I hate it!!! I now want it to be black. I know I can paint the grout but that is so time comsuming. I need to know about colorwashing please. I hav enever done this and need to know if I will be able to darken this ugly color enough. Please let me know. Thanks, Cathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Headboard

Comments (8)

• nicethyme
    14 years ago

OK don't panic! it will be fine. Take some of that same grout and smear it on a scrap board to use as a test.(let it cure and dry about a day) Mix your paint color into water then keep testing the degree of concentration on your test board till you get the level of color you want before you stap it on your headboard, I have found that you can't really layer colorwashes because the 1st one repels the next from soaking in.

breath breath...

• platebreaker
    14 years ago

Is there room enough in your groutlines to regrout? If so, this can be regrouted - especially with black over the lighter color.....

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Nice and Plate...I am going to try the colorwash on a small area on the bottom today. The grout was custom so I don't have any I can use on another board. But the bottom won't show so I'll try it there. If I have to regrout I will have to do a whole lot of picking and dremeling to get it to work. But I am determined to do something as I sure am unhappy. Should have just stuck w/blk!!! I am so angry with myself. If I have to I will paint it blk. So I guess I will figure it out today. Thanks so much, Cathy

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey...My problem is sloved!!! Thanks to my sweet hubby!!!
    I was knocking out grout with a nail and hammer when he brought me a grinder w/a wire brush on it and said try this....IT WORKED REALLY WELL!!! I have over 1/2 of the grout out and will finsih tomorrow and regrout w/black!!!!! It works like a whiz!! He always has the best ideas....I had company over for dinner (1st salmon of the year) (caught this morning) cooked on the grill (yummy)so I had to quit or I would already be done...I can't wait to get all the UGLY off and the black on....I do have to clear in between the venetian glass around the edge with a screwdriver and hammer but the rest is coming off with ease.....so hopefully by tomorrow night my headboard will be regrouted BLACK and I will be a much happier camoper !!!!!!! I just love my hubby!!!!

• nicethyme
    14 years ago

oh good, I'm glad you found a solution! I also hope you are wearing a mask while grinding too!

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yeah Nice, mask and goggles!!!!! It's pretty messy!!! But I know I'll be much happier when it's regrouted. It sure was UGLY!!! I'm going to start again as soon as I've had my coffee, made the beds and watered my garden. I have no grandkids today so I am hoping to have it regrouted by tonight. That's barring no company or major interruptions, but we all now how that goes. Later,

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Sounds like you have wonderful support in that DH of yours. Congrats. Anxious to see the results of your hard work.

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yeah Slow he's a pretty good guy!!! He's # 2 and did I ever LUCK out!!! Thank God!!! #1 was 27years and I still wonder why???? He and I usually can always come up with a solution to whatever problem arises. When we put our heads together there isn't much we can't do. (Built our entire house together!!) And it's a pretty nice place to live if I do say so myself.... I have now ground enough of the UGLY off so that the black will easily cover the rest. I was going to chip out between the glass, but I decided today I will regrout w/the blk and whatever UGLY shows through I will go over w/ a blk Sharpie (tried already and it looks great!). I have a bad right arm and it is worn out from grinding and scrubbing. So will not grout til tomorrow when the arm fresh and rested. (I have to take breaks or I will be out of comission for weeks) (someday surgery but not yet.) Anyway I'm feeling a whole lot better about this project. Was almost sick the other day when it started to dry and was soooooooooooo UGLY!!!! I was in a total PANIC******But it's gonna be OK as always! Anyway I'm done for the day, it started raining and I decided the arm needs a rest and me too.....Later all, Cathy

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths