Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurastheme

Hoping to get started

laurastheme
12 years ago

I keep thinking I'd like to get started on mosaics but between so many other projects, lack of knowledge and fear of flubbing I only think about it. What tools would you suggest for a beginner with limited funds. I have boxes of stained glass that somebody gave me a few years ago, glass nipper and glass cutter. Anything else? What should I use for a base for cutting? Also, I don't think I can afford a grinder at this point. Any ideas for smoothing edges?

http://daydreamsdustbunnies.blogspot.com/

Comments (4)

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

EASYPEASY! Don't get caught up in the details, it is so easy to smooth edges of glass, just rub one edge of glass across another edge of glass and they smooth each other out! Or you can even rub a sanding block, one of those sponge kind, or even a sheet of sandpaper across the edge of the glass, just be careful. For cutting glass, I started out on my kitchen table. The surface where you cut just has to be smooth, not bumpy so the glass doesn't break. Also it is recommended that the glass is to be room temperature, cuz it doesn't work very well to cut it when it is cold. Just google glass cutting and I bet you will find some great info, and/or videos! My very first time I cut glass and went to break it...I cut myself very badly(did it wrong!) and the stained glass instructor said she had NEVER seen anybody cut themselves so badly..ever! Calamity Jane...nuff said!lol! Glass has shards come off it when it breaks, minute little shards, so just remember to sweep up the area you are working in when the day is thru, cuz you may find yourself wanting to smooth a place with your hand and get shards in your hand...ya, been there, done that. There are a lot of different glass cutters out there and I have a pistol grip one, that they say to fill the handle with oil, but I just have a bit of oil on a pc of cloth set in a old jar lid, that I keep saturated with oil and dip it into that(not a lot of oil, just enough to get a bit on the cutting wheel.) Cutting oil is a must in my opinion. Hope this helps. It is so much fun, I hope you get started!

• phish_gw
    12 years ago

if you're careful, particularly during grouting, and depending on what type of surface (flat?), it's possible to get by without sanding the pieces. I would say start nipping into small pieces and play around on any surface and see how it goes. craft stores often have cheap frames for crafting that cost $1.

• nanatricia
    12 years ago

I never grind have never had a problem .Just jump in like every one says .

• texaswild
    12 years ago

You don't need all the fancy tools. You have more than enough to get started. I started w/the shards and a hammer. Like NANA said, jump in, break something, glue something - ANYTHING to get started. Then things w/happen to your mind - you won't be able to stop.

Sponsored