Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linlee_gw

gog wip pix...

LinLee
16 years ago

I'm almost finished with this. It's taking a little longer than I thought it would. It seems that the pieces are getting smaller and smaller as the work progresses...?

Comments (80)

• tasymo
    16 years ago

Simply Stunning, Linlee! You have a wonderful eye for design and are not afraid of the unusual! I can't wait to see it grouted and a pic with all four panes together would be great!!

• shellybelly26
    16 years ago

what a beautiful peice can i buy it j/k but if i didnt like doing my own so much i would deffinatly make an offer

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

Dena, go for it! it sounds wonderful!!! The memorial window that is! But I'll be the lookout for the other if you want! 6mos at your place 6mos at mine!...lol!

• haziemoon
    16 years ago

linlee! that is amazing! WOW!!!!
    I love everything about it! too cool!

Hazie

• LinLee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Holy Smokes! I'm totally humbled by all of your generous comments.
    Enablers, the bunch of you :o)

I'll post a pre-grout pix hopefully later this evening when my DH gets home.
    I need an extra set of hands to lift the thing...it's heavy.

In answer to a few questions.
    tigertwiggy: Is that Van Gogh glass?...no, its Spectrum red iridescent

Cindy: Is this a 4 pane window? ÂYes, itÂs the top part of a 1950Âs Dutch door.
    Where are you going to hang it?...I have no clue.

Dena: Could you post a long shot of it, with all panes showing in 1 shot?
    After the glue dries IÂd be happy to, still gluing on the background.
    Plus IÂm afraid to stand it up right now without a helping hand or 2ÂitÂs big and heavy.
    YouÂre funny. And your future window project sounds very nice.

Annie: The glass is wonderful...did you order any or was it all from the same place?
    Âno, I ordered from 2 online sources for some then scrounged around town for the rest.
    It's all cut from sheets of glass except for the herringbone petals.
    They were cut from 3/4" Illuminati iridescent glass tiles "Samba".

Again, thank you all...you're very encouraging.
    Linlee

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Sorry to ask more but would you mind sayng which glass you ordered for the irid. borders the pinks and looks like yellow or golds?I've never ordered on line because I'm not sure of colors but yours all turned out spectacular.Thanks Again..i want to do a pig in those colors.

• LinLee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The border is done in Spectrum iridescent red. I had ordered this online with my fingers crossed having never met it in person. Also ordered it in black, bordeaux and dark green. At first I wasn't very impressed with it because when not backlit they all look the same...kinda like an oil slick of pink/gold/green. But when backlit the base color comes through.
    Here is a sample of a red piece with different light exposures.

• seaglassic
    16 years ago

uh oh!
    hope we don't get analysed by what we see in the picture...
    cuz I didn't even see the lion and owl, at first.

right after the gasp of "HOLY MACKERAL, THAT'S BEAUTIFUL", was when I saw the colorful piano keys, all around the border, the flames inside the flowers, the ice cream cones and question marks and then noticed the Venus Fly Traps on the bottom edges!

I'm getting paranoid, looking out my windows, looking for guys in white coats, coming to get me!

am I alone in this?

it's a beautiful, bright and cheerful piece of art!!

Becky .(*_*).

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

HOOOOOOLLLY DAWG SNOT!!!!! Thats all I can think of! :-)

• mosaicwench1
    16 years ago

The more I look at the owl and the lion, the more whimsical it becomes. This is truly a masterpiece and I don't say that lightly as everyone who knows me here can attest.

I can't wait to see it done glued and then done grouted.

• LinLee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It's really hard to photograph glass isn't it? Especially
    the mirror type/iridescent...sheesh!!
    Sorry for all of you dial-up users. I'll learn how to link one of these days.

I know it looks really dark. Originally the background was
    to be an ivory iridescent till I got to thinking about the black grout. Thought that it would bring out the ivory instead of the flowers...? Too late now to change. ;o)

• squirrellycanadian
    16 years ago

That is just soooo beautiful!! So much detail, you did such a beautiful job fitting all those pieces together. I can't describe how beautiful it really is! Did I say "beautiful" too many times?!! lol

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Wow, that is wonderful! I could look at it for hours and find some new detail.

Maria

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

You have really taken the GOG project to a new level! Raised the bar! Now I'll feel ashamed for slapping it on there like I do!lol! Blackground color is great!!!heh heh! Can hardly wait to see it grouted and lit up from behind!!!

• lisa_4
    16 years ago

Absolutely stunning! I could stare at that piece for HOURS! Can't wait to see it grouted!

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Thanks Linlee like Wench said a real masterpiece.if this is not your career it sure should be!!!!!!!!Better than those we see on T.V .That's right you said your a garden designer...sure wish you lived here!!!!Stunning piece of art.

• jlynn_2007
    16 years ago

well there really isn't anything left to be said that hasn't been said... I think you are pretty darn amazing, that is so beautiful, can I be you when I grow up? jlynn

• d3bbi
    16 years ago

Linlee, this is GORGEOUS! I too just study it because I love it and want to learn from your talent. The colors are perfect; I love iridized glass!

• madhabitz
    16 years ago

You guys are all wrong, that's a Chinese Foo Dog (Lion Dog)! lol

Wonderful wonderful piece-- it's work like this that might eventually get me to move to glass. I don't want to do this at all, but oh man... the colors!

Nancy

• addiesue
    16 years ago

This is amazing! Absolutely BEAUTIFUL! Nice job!! What website did you buy the Spectrum iridescent glass from? I might have to venture out and try some of that stuff...lol.

Addisue

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

Oh my gosh...linlee that is spectacular.....I thought I had commented earlier but found that I didn't. Your colors choices are wonderful. I'm sure I'm just repeating what others have already said.....it is so very jaw dropping!!!! I keep going back and looking at it!! Great job!!!

• gin_gin
    16 years ago

Wow that is amazing. There has got to be some contest somewhere you can enter this in, it would surely win. The design and colors are simply beautiful & expertly executed too! Absolutely brilliant!
    Virginia

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

yes, mad is spot on - foo dogish it is. but I also see ginger and ... sweet peas? lol

stunning design and quality work Linlee! it's wonderful

• LinLee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks again for all of your kind words.;o)
    It's getting grouted in black this morning...specifically
    Laticrete Tri-Poly sanded with the Admix instead of water.
    Never used the stuff before, so a little nervous. I was looking for the Mapei brand after hearing so much good stuff about it, however the Lowe's around here stopped selling that brand.
    Addisue: I purchased the iridescent from kptiles.com
    mostly because they sell in 6"x6" for around $2. It's pricier in the long run if you need a lot, but I wanted samples without spending the big bucks at the time. Delphi.com and most stained glass sites sell the Spectrum iridescent though.

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Stunning!StunningStunning!

• LinLee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

All grouted...and I'm pooped.
    Some of the tools I found usefull:
    craft syringe for glue
    tweezers to handle little pieces
    Air in a can to clean out before grouting
    micro-fiber towels for post-grout cleaning
    eye protection (this should really be #1)
    glass table with an aquarium light under it
    Linlee

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

WOOOOOOOOT!!!! wow Linlee, that's so dramatic! and beautiful! oh oh... man!

are you just thrilled? you should be cause that is an amazing piece of ART ART ART! wow...

• barbfrizzell1955
    16 years ago

WOWSER...WOWSER...Beautiful, fantastic piece! Boy do those colors pop now with the black!!!!!

Can't wait to see it installed and a full view shot!

Barb

• squirrellycanadian
    16 years ago

That is THE most amazing mosaic I"ve ever seen! I still can't beleive the detail you have put in there, a stunning work of art!!

• d3bbi
    16 years ago

Linlee, this is ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!! I couldn't imagine it would get any better but the grout just makes it OUTSTANDING!!! This is a showpiece!

• lyndalu
    16 years ago

OMG words can not express....Just absolutely stunning. Wow. just unbelievably beautiful.

Am anxious to see what you get on the "holy dawg snot" o-meter. I'm guessing at least a triple. :)

• bianchi2
    16 years ago

This is soooo gorgeous!!
    I dont know what else to say that has not been said already.
    It is soooooo gorgeous! (sorry, to repeat myself)
    Bianchi

• crystal01
    16 years ago

stunning masterpiece!!!!

• texaswild
    16 years ago

I don't have the vocabulary to describe how I feel about this piece. It sorta takes my breath away, so I'm speechless. All I know is I don't know a danged thing about mosaicing after seeing it.

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

Bump!

I just can't let this one drop off the 1st page yet! Too beautiful, and I want every lurker and passerby to see it and bask in it's beauty...

• lyndalu
    16 years ago

good idea, NICE! When I saw the thread at the top again, I thought - Oh good! I want to look at it again! And again, and again!

• nanatricia
    16 years ago

O MY GOSH !!!!!There is no word s.Every one said it all.

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Thanks NT for bumping it up, somehow I missed the grouted picture!!

Not that I can add anything to what has been said!It is absolutely wonderful!!

Nice to know the Laticrete brand looks so good in black. I bought white, but haven't tried it yet.

Maria

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

Oh MY!!! I'm hanging up my tools, goin' to hang my head in shame.....I'm in awe!!!

• addiesue
    16 years ago

OMG!.....That really is stunning! I am just awed at the transformation the grout made. Not that it wasn't gorgeous before....you could have left it ungrouted and it would have still be one of the most gorgeous pieces I've ever seen. You just ooze patience and talent!

Addiesue

• mosaicwench1
    16 years ago

Thanks for the grouted photos. Doesn't look like you had any grout bleed - that's amazing!

You've got a keeper here - I hope you're proud!

• LinLee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Merci! Gracias! Thank you! :o)
    Yes I am very proud of the window. Funny thing though, now I have to repaint a whole room to hang it. There's a
    lot of shine and bling that won't show up in the photographs.
    Oh and there most definitely is some grout bleed, luckily though it only happened on those wonky orange ice cream
    cone shaped pieces. They're more opaque so you really don't notice unless you look at the back of the picture.
    Live n'learn I guess.
    But I now realize why you all are so prolific...once you finish 1 piece you can't wait to do another!
    Your support means more than you know.
    Linlee

• hrsg
    16 years ago

Linlee
    This is hands down the most beautiful work I have seen! The colors, the layout, the details...everything is perfection!

• lisa_4
    16 years ago

linlee, Your window is gorgeous! Would you post another picture once you have it hung? I'd love to see the whole thing hanging somewhere!

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

I don't think this is even on the "Holy Dawg Snot" meter. I used to think "Holy dawg snot" would cover just about anything...if it was REALLY great then you'd get a triple or quadruple dawg snot...but NO..This is WAY beyond that. I gotta go figure up a whole new word for this piece of ART.
    We should find a competition for you to enter it in!!

• madhabitz
    16 years ago

Bama, maybe you just need to move the next level to a larger animal. For instance, "Holy Camel Snot" might do it. Whalesnot? ;-)

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

LOL

Aha!, a whole bunch of us hadn't seen the final grouted shots... I'm so glad I bumped it now, Linlee you deserve a load of kudos for this one. INSPIRING!

• cacbeary
    16 years ago

Oh my! That is so beautiful! I love the big pieces with the small pieces. You do fine work. I'm sure it's more beautiful in person. Great job!

• SadieSadie
    16 years ago

WOW. I'm trying to get up the nerve to do a GOG, and found this doing my search. AMAZING; just gorgeous!

• mosaicwench1
    16 years ago

linlee - somehow I missed the grout phase.

You did an excellent job choosing the dark background and the dark grout. It's stunning!!!

Isn't grout bleed a bi+ch? I hate that sinking feeling when it's first noticed. . . .

I'm proud to be here with such talent and modesty. You do us all proud.

Sponsored
Uncommon Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Turnkey Interior Design Studio in Loudoun County, VA