Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thinset Grrrr.....

Posted by loribee2 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 20, 11 at 12:12

I've just special ordered the Mapei Ultraflex 2 from Lowes. I've been using Laticrete, because that's the brand they carry in my store. However, for the last two days, I've been re-attaching tiles that keep falling off my latest mushroom!

Questions for the experts:

Mapei Ultraflex 2 calls itself "mortar". But the term "mortar" and "thinset" in this case are the same, right? This is basically the adhesive I would mix to stick my tiles on the concrete base I've created?

And, what should I do if I start grouting this thing and additional tiles pop off? I've been running my fingers over the thing for two days, looking for loose tiles, but I don't trust that something won't pop off when I go to grout it. How do you handle that? Do you clear the grout away from that area and reglue it? With what? And if you do that, do you need to wait for the glue to dry to finish the grout in that section?

What a pain in the rumpus!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thinset Grrrr.....

My dear. When you use Ultraflex II, you won't have tiles falling off - PERIOD!!! Yes, Ultraflex II is a polymer modified MORTAR. It is a THINSET that already has the admixture (fortifier) added to it. I've recommended this wonderful ADHESIVE every since I joined this forum. I wouldn't dream of using anything else. Yes, I have used it for grout on exterior pieces, but it is NOT necessary. It was my way of ensuring that each tile is extra safe.

o

Just to add to what Slow said, Yes you can just re-attach the pcs, with mortar, then you have to wait till it dries to be able to grout. Slow and I are working on her wonderful(pics just don't do justice to it!!!!) wall and will post some pics!

o

Thanks ladies! And I should be fair, the Laticrete I've been using is the pre-mixed in the tub. The floor guy at Lowes said even the Laticrete powder they do offer would be better for what I'm doing. Moral of the story: The pre-mixed is very convenient, but not good for mosaics.

I've got a 10-day wait for my Mapei to come in, so I guess I'll be spending the weekend making more concrete forms.

I appreciate the advice! And I can't wait to see some photos of what you all have been doing this week!

o

My lowes doesn't carry it so I thought I was out of luck. I didn't think of special ordering it. Meanwhile I have a bag of regular thinset in my trunk. Is there any reason wh this won't owrk?
Kathy

o

The guy I talked to at Lowes seemed to think my biggest problem was that I was using pre-mixed thinset. He felt that powdered thinset that must be mixed with water has better adhesion than the ready-to-go stuff. He'd rattled off several brands he thought would be fine. I went ahead and ordered the Mapei, mostly because having already dealt with popping tiles, I wasn't going to take another chance on something that didn't come highly recommended.

o

I do not want to go against slow but I have used the other ts and have not ever had any problem with it.I do not have a bigbox store here.

o

Everyone has their favorites. I've also used regular powdered thinsets, but always added the admixture - latex liquid - to it for better adhesion. CONCRETE - of course yours w/work - just be sure and add the latex mixture. The ready-mix stuff is for interior tiles only IMO.

o

Good grief!!!! CALAM must've signed in and stayed logged in on my computer. Anyway - the above message is from SLOW. I've just returned from taking CALAM to the airport, and the house is sooooooo lonely. What a wonderful week we had.
SLOW!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here