Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texasfern

Ok, I'm diving in!

texasfern
15 years ago

Been in a slump for a couple of years but when the grandkids came we decided to do this.

I lost a 5month old granddaughter 2 years ago and her brother and sisters and I decided to take some old glass pieces that I aquired from an antique shop years ago along with some odds and ends and create this for Aaliyah's little flower bed in the back yard.

It is not quite finished and we are not sure if it will be a totem base or a birdbath base.(that is what it is).

Kinda messy, but the kids had a great time.

We hope to finish this summer when they come for a visit.

[IMG]

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

Comments (9)

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

So sorry for your loss. What a wonderful memorial for you and the kids to make. Something to make you smile through tears of sorrow. I really like the handle on it...cool!

• meadel
    15 years ago

How sweet. I'm sure those kids will treasure that memory with you. I can't imagine what you have been through but I hope it helps ease the pain. It'll look beautiful in a garden! Have you grouted yet?

• bluestarrgallery
    15 years ago

So sorry for the loss of your grandaughter, texasfern. What a wonderful tribute and idea for her siblings to remember her by doing a piece of mosiac. It looks like a candy ice cream sundae and good enough to eat.

You do wonderful mosaics and I hope you can find some solace in your art again. I've been through some rough times over the last several years and if hadn't had my ceramics I don't know what I would have done. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

• susiesunshine
    15 years ago

W O N D E R F U L ~~~ Wonderful ~ ~ ~ W O N D E R F U L ! !
    Thanks for the pics...
    and thanks for sharing the story....
    GOD gives us the strength to travel through these hard and
    difficult times....
    But you are right to make things with your hands and
    keep busy... and get with Loved ones... to
    complete this project...
    ONE DAY AT A TIME>>>>!!!!!
    You can do it....!!!!!!
    God Bless !
    Susiesunshine

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

Oh Texasfern. I am so sorry to hear about your loss but that is a wonderful way to memoralize her plus give the kids something they can do to remember her , too.

It's perfect. You will all treasure it forever.

By the way, you have done some wonderful mosaics. I love the snails best but actually it's hard to decide. Those funky VI folks were great too.

• shellybelly26
    15 years ago

I think that will be an excellent addition to her garden. I cant imagine what youve gone through losing a baby that way. I know that giving the kids a way to express themselves will deffinatly do a world of good becaus they dont always know how to put thier feelings into words.

• gibsona
    15 years ago

So sorry for your loss, but what a wonderful way for you and her brothers and sisters to remember her. Precious.

Ann

• texasfern
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You guys are wonderful.
    Thanks so much.
    I spent yesterday pulling all the ceramic molds I have left in preparation to sell them and my kiln.
    I am going to concentrate on the mosaics and T2T.
    I definately feel that this is a new start of sorts.
    I don't plan on finishing the piece until the kids come in a couple of weeks.
    Grouting is not my favorite part and after all what they start, they need to finish! LOL!
    Thanks for all your kindness.

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Bless your heart. Sorry for your loss. I so admire this piece. The glass looks so lucious. What a beautiful memorial piece. Gives me inspiration to be looking for colorful glass along w/the plates now. Anxious to see your piece finished.

Sponsored