Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mfbpa

Bottle cutters

mfbpa
10 years ago

Anyone here ever use a bottle cutter to cut bottles? I want to collect a bunch of colored bottoms for my wall.

If you have any suggestions on how to cut the bottom off or have used a bottle cutter, I'd like to hear from you please.

thanks!
mfbpa

Comments (9)

• wackyweeder
    10 years ago

I have used a couple different kinds. I currently have a G2 bottle cutter. It takes lots of practice and trial and error to do it well. I am still practicing! For bottoms-unless you want a fair amount, say an inch, of the side attached, you wont be happy. I cut them like that and nibble them down with nippers. It leaves a raggedy edge, but for embedding its fine. I would suggest a tile saw for giving you a nice clean edge for the bottoms. Ive seen lots of people do it that way and I would like to have one for that purpose.

• mfbpa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My husband researched a bit for me and found a Creators Bottle cutter and it got great reviews. I might give it a try. Now my mind is FULL of colored bottles, where I can get them (might go out in the night and go recycle picking), what to do with them, etc.... DH wants to know if my brian ever shut off!
    I pinned (pinterest) a wall made of colored bottles, oh that's really cool! I had to start a new pin board just for the bottles!

Here is a link that might be useful: bottles

• texaswild
    10 years ago

I would not dream of cutting that many bottles w/o making a small investment - $60.00 - for a Harbor Freight tile saw. It cuts them perfectly, w/a fairly smooth edge.

You can order bottles from home wine making suppliers. I got two cases of blue wine bottles fairly inexpensively. Bud sells beer now in blue bottles. I don't drink Bud, but I might w/start just to get enough bottles.

• mfbpa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Slo, Is there an attachment to hold and actually cut the bottle or are you just scoring it?
    The you tube videos I watched are just scoring the bottle. then you heat the score with a candle and immerse in cold water. Some say you can just run under hot water then cold and it comes apart.
    This one I mention below looks like it works pretty nice, plus you can cut the bottle into rings, some you can only cut the top off....
    I need to stay focused huh? LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: creator bottle cutter

• mfbpa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just found this "Instructable" for cutting bottles using a wet tile saw..... pretty cool.

What type of file do you like to use to get rid of any sharp edges?
    mfbpa

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Cut a bottle with a wet tile saw

• GlassPhoenix
    10 years ago

I use a wet tile saw with a diamond blade for glass.....it is amazing :)

• texaswild
    10 years ago

My wet saw has a 4" blade so I have to manually turn the bottles for a cut - not just score. I've cut the rings too, but didn't like the finish on the edges - they're dull - not shiny. I know there are those out there who use a polisher, but it wasn't worth all the work involved, so I didn't use the rings. The first method was waaaaay too slow for me. The edges are pretty smooth, using a wet saw, so no grinding was necessary.

• mfbpa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hub went to Harbor Freight today and got me a tile saw, it was on sale AND he had a coupon!
    I'm now wondering if it comes with a diamond blade? I have not had a chance to even look at the box. (I'm getting ready for my daughters destination wedding at the beach next week).

I also ordered myself a Creator Bottle Cutter, so now I have both pieces of equipment and can't wait to try them out. I was hoping to try out the wet saw on some cups.... and I have to go rummaging thursday night (recycle night) for wine, beer and soda bottles. I love a good hunt!

• phish_gw
    10 years ago

recycle groups, ect. Post on facebook and ask your friends to help you collect. You really learn who your alcoholic friends are when you start collecting wine bottles! :)

Sponsored