Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you mosaic paper mache

Posted by crazymosaics (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 1, 09 at 10:38

Hello,

I ordered some paper mache mannequin torsos from createforless.com and they're really solid but i wanted to know is it okay to mosaic them? They're about 16" tall. Could I use weldbond on them? Just wanted to know if anyone else has mosaiced paper mache :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you mosaic paper mache

There is a well-known mosaicist I found a couple yrs. ago on the net (can't remember his name, but he had mosaiced a Longhorn) that mosaics on paper mache. I think I remember he said "not directly", though. I think he uses rigid wrap. If I were to try your project, I'd wrap it w/rigid wrap - found a HobLob - and give it a couple coats of gesso b/f mosaicing. This, IMO, w/give it a nice sturdy, smooth surface. And, yes, Weldbond w/be a good adhesive. However, in my experience, Weldbond isn't good for someone w/no patience, cuz it slips/slides too much UNLESS you pour some out in a little plate, and let it get tacky. I also use Aleen's quick dry glue. Of course, this project is for interior use only.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here