Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silvamae

Garden Stones

silvamae
10 years ago

Finished these yesterday. Top two are from saucers, bottom one is stained glass, all thinset on rocks from the property.

Comments (17)

• barbfrizzell1955
    10 years ago

Very nice! About how big are those rocks?

• silvamae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The rock with the white butterfly is 10 inches across.

• oldcrafty
    10 years ago

Those are gorgeous!

• nanatricia
    10 years ago

I love those !! I so want to do that some day .So many things I would like to do so much other that need to be done.I have been working on a arbor out side just need to pant it .

• barbfrizzell1955
    10 years ago

It is bigger than I thought. Now I think I need to find some flat stones to mosaic so I can put some in the garden!

• silvamae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm going to check with local landscaping/garden places and see how much they are to buy. They are too small to be used as stepping stones so hopefully they won't be expensive. If they are, I'll just continue to look around here and find more.

• texaswild
    10 years ago

That's the good thing about your area - those beautiful limestones everywhere. These sweet little stones w/look great in potted plants or in a bowl made from a concrete leaf casting of some huuuuuge leaf. Why doncha run up to Texarkana, spend a weekend w/me and we'll make some castings from my giant Elephant Ears?

• silvamae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will surprise you one of these days. I would love to come to Texarkana.

• GlassPhoenix
    10 years ago

This forum is opening a whole new world for me! I've learned about putting the tessarae onto mesh.....which I guess is a good way to get your pattern in place properly....

What I CANNOT figure out is how you thinset to the rock with NO MESS! Does it wipe away from where you don't want it while it's still wet???

• nicethyme
    10 years ago

Silva, these are fantastic. love them all.

Phoenix, you can back butter a piece on mesh, like spreading icing on a cake

• barbfrizzell1955
    10 years ago

Good luck Silva with your open house tomorrow. Hope you sell lots of stuff!!!

• silvamae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you! After this open house, I will post pics of how I place the mosaic on the stone. I am excited to do more of these.

• mfbpa
    10 years ago

Hi silva, I wonder if you were still planning on showing us how you did your rocks..... Would love to see!

• silvamae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will post pictures . . . next week, I promise. We are leaving early in the morning for the beach, returning next Saturday night. I have been so busy, making more garden stones. So the very next one I do, which will probably be next Monday, I will take pictures as I go.

• silvamae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mfbpa, see my post entitled "My article on how to mosaic garden stones." I went into detail about how to deal with the edges of the mosaic.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's article about garden stones

• mfbpa
    10 years ago

Thanks so much silva! I really enjoyed your article and never heard of Hub.... So am having fun poking around a new place.
    Do you use the MAC glue too like the article you referred to? I never heard of it so looked it up, it reminds me of Weldbond, which is not used outside.
    Also, that second article referred to the Taurus saw, I found it interesting. How do you cut your plates, the cut lines look so exact.
    Instead of saying too much here, I'm going to start a new thread on cutting.... I've been noodling that, the many ways to cut plates, tile etc.

Awesome article! Thank you so much!

• silvamae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for reading, mfbpa. On most of them, I used mortar for both the adhesive and the grout. On a couple of them, I used MAC glue for the adhesive and still used mortar for the grout. It's a test. I have been told that MAC is good for outdoor use (as you say, Weldbond is not). MAC glue is much stronger than Weldbond. I cut plates with Leponitt nippers; the cut doesn't always go like I planned but it's pretty accurate. I seldom use the Taurus but if I have to have an exact cut, I will use it. There are two websites I know about that have really good instructions about how to cut plates. Below is the link for one. The page it takes you to has two links, Demo 1 and Demo 2.

Here is a link that might be useful: Happycraftn's nipping tips

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia