Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deborahmc52

Quick ?'s - starting bowling/gazing ball..

deborahmc52
16 years ago

Do I sand the ball?..it's very dark red/blk w/sparkles..lol..too bad I don't bowl.. and I'm using mostly stained glass/mirror etc. I need a light colored base.. do I use thinset? or Liquid Nails with something light colored underneath? I saw a suggestion to use a thin layer of thinset first and then butter each piece..very concerned with the weather factor..ie lotsa rain!..and sealing to the max with..? Not sure my cache of supplies has the right stuff..thanks

Debbie in FL :>)

Comments (13)

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

I paint my bbs first with a quick coat of craft paint, usually using the color of the grout I intend to use so I can get a rough idea of what it will look like. I have realized that where I live, it is not a good idea to leave a bb outside all year, so I'll be bringing my bb in, I've made about 6bb and have sold or given them all away, and will be doing one for myself soon!!! I'm going to use an outdoor silicone adhesive so it has a bit of give cuz I think the bb does wierd things here in the weather....

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

Hey Debbi, if the glass you are using is transparent then yes you need a lighter base color. Your best options are to paint the ball white and use GEll or lightly sand the ball and use thinset. It's is not necessary to coat with thinset AND butter each piece, one or the other is fine. But yes, a coarse sanding will give the surface "tooth" for eith adhesive method.

Good luck and post pics please

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Don't use liquid nails!

Here is ms. wench's story

Here is a link that might be useful: orb tutorial

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

Oh shoot I was gonna say that too shrty! I know I said it out loud when I read it! lol

• shrty411
    16 years ago

I just read your mind NT!!

Maria

• deborahmc52
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I SAW that a while ago..that was LN?!! OK so my beau has 'Silicone Tub and Tile' stuff from HD..will that do it? And do I still paint..craft paint..underneath?or sand.. I may use dark grout but want the glass to 'pop'..as they say..:>) sheesh I'm getting anal here..lol D

• mosaicwench1
    16 years ago

For the longest, very longest, honestly the longest lasting bowling ball, use fortified thinset (acrylic admix already added). Don't buy the premixed. Mix it yourself in small batches (butter parts of the ball or each tile - whatever works for you). You can get white or gray so your transparent glass will pop. Sand the ball lightly before you start. Grout with an exterior grade grout and seal the grout when dry. Cement products just seem to last the longest outdoors (in my climate, which is zone 5 - in Wisconsin).

CLEAR Silicone (GE Silicone II for doors and windows) is a VERY close second and much easier to use than thinset (IMHO). However, that means one has to paint the bowling ball some color amenable to you which also means you are now mosaicing on a thin layer of paint rather than the bowling ball itself . . . .

Have fun deciding!

• deborahmc52
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just got some white silicone..:>) D thanks ms wench, was going to start tonight..OK tomorrow..

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    16 years ago

Debbie,

I sand the BB, clean and dry, then spray paint with Krylon paint for plastics. You can work with it 24 hours later, but I let them 'cure' for a week, then start gluing with GE Slicone II. When all pieces are on, I grout and then seal.

Due to our extreme winter weather, I never leave them outside for the winter.

• deborahmc52
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks all..mswench, is the white OK? thought that'd save me the painting, or do you think the Krylon is a good idea? We used it on some outdoor furniture and during long hot spells it'd come off on your hand or clothing after prolonged sitting/leaning/contact..I'm reluctant..thanks
    D

• d3bbi
    16 years ago

Hi, Debbie from another Floridian Debbie,

I just wanted to share this link from another Central Floridian, Andree Lagniappe, on making a bowling/gazing ball.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bowling Ball instructions

• deborahmc52
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Debbie Thanks so much, her stuff is wonderful! I have started the ball, of course not that thrilled with it..lol..first one and all..but I am going to do the slab off of the garage and some of her ideas/color schemes etc will be really helpful and incredibly inspiring ..thanks!

• deborahmc52
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've forgotten what to do, mosaic all the way up to..? and fill them? Does it matter?..and was I bad to use wht silicone? I'm afraid I didn't lay it on very thick..what a worrywart huh?..lol..will post pic asap..thanks..gotta reclaim the kitchen table..lol before my beau returns from trip..Debbie

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor