Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
micahgroff

an this be mosaic-ed?

micahgroff
15 years ago

I have a plastic birdbath that was left by previous homeowner. I hate it as is, can it be mosaic-ed? It has rocks poured down the inside of it for weight. Would it be easier to mosaic if I filled it with cement? ( before or after)

Thank you

Micah

Comments (15)

• chickencollecter
    15 years ago

I'm not an expert, but plastic being a flexible material, could cause the mosaic to crack and fall off.

Be Safe, Rach

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

Rach is right, not only is there a concern for slight flex. Plastic also seems to contract and expand more than other materials, with drastic temp changes. Even some bowling balls are failing as substrates if they have a high plastic content.

• meadel
    15 years ago

Maybe you can use the Fusion paint to freshen it up. ( you can use masking tape to make decorative stripes etc.)

• flagtruck
    15 years ago

I think that you cxould paint the birdbath as others have suggested and then do gems in the bowl part with GEII. That has some flex to it and should not pop off. Or just fill the bowl with gems for a little bling. I tried using gems as a mulch around a plant a couple years ago and the birds kept stealing them and then dropping them everywhere, so fastening them down would be preferably. They love bling bling too.

• chickencollecter
    15 years ago

Especially the crows!

Be Safe, Rach

• ladyronnie
    15 years ago

I agree with all these suggestions. I just wanted to respond 'cause I love your name. Someone very dear to my heart's name is Micah :)

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

I'd mosaic it in a heartbeat! I mosaic plastic/plexy/you name it. You could fill it up with concret to make it more sturdy but if the gravel is working, I'd leave that too! Here is a plastic light globe and wine cooler that I mosaiced...

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Depends on the sturdiness of the plastic, I suppose. IF I used plastic, I'd probably use the wrap/mesh - that stuff they use for dry walls (I don't know what fiberglass mesh is yet), then a coat of concrete to ensure it doesn't flex.

• squirrellycanadian
    15 years ago

I did this birdbath a couple years ago and it's held up just fine. It's pretty sturdy plastic, not flimsy. I used marine silicone since it would have water in it. I say go for it! if you hate it as is, what the heck!

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

oh squirrelly, thats so beautiful. I can't remember ever seeing it

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Pretty birdbath! I would have been one of those that thought it couldn't be done, but looks like it can....and beautifully!!

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Oh, WOW, SQUIRRELLY - that's FABULOUS!!!!!

• texasfern
    15 years ago

Oh heck, if it stands still, slap some sticky stuff on that puppy and mosaic it!
    Great birdbath Squirrelly!

• shrty411
    15 years ago

Love that squirrley!!

• shellybelly26
    15 years ago

thats too funny (slap some sticky stuff on it and mosaic it LOL

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus