Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie here with ?

Posted by soinspired (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 8, 09 at 9:19

I'm just a beginner at mosaic and have a quick question on doing a mosaic on a wood table. This wood table in an old pine round table with no paint. Should I prime the table first with just a basic primer before I start my project? Or, should I use something else? I have learned so much here and so appreciate your posts. Thanks for your comments.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie here with ?

Not necessary to prime. Welcome to the forum. Show us pictures, please, of your WIP.

o

Welcome. Just start gluing. And yeah, we have have need to see!!! Love seeing everyones before and after pics......

o

Welcome. Listen to the pro's. I do. They are correct. Pix Pix Pix please

o

Thanks for your follow-ups! So many ideas but I know I want to do it in purples & pinks. I'll post pics when I get started. Wish me luck!

o

LUCK LUCK LUCK!!!

o

Is your table going to be used inside or outside? That makes a difference as to whether or not you need to put down something like backerboard... if outside use backerboard.

o

I always prime porous substrates with water-based Kilz or Binz (don't use oil based or "water sealers") and sometimes use a 5 parts water to 1 part Weldbond mixture. I score the surface first and then prime. The reason for this being the porous wood will suck the moisture out of your thinset (if using) or grout - causing it to cure more quickly. If you don't want to prime first, I would suggest (after grouting) putting plastic wrap over your mosaic and misting it with water every few hours to slow down the cure time.

Hope this helps!
Jane

o

Thanks for the continuing follow-ups! My table is wood and won't be used outside. (This round table is 52" in diameter and I bought it at a yard sale for only $30! Very solid and I think will be perfect.) I do have some water based latex primer I was thinking of using on the base of the table as I'm going to paint it white. I'll just go ahead and paint the top too. This would probably help to see my pencil lines of my design. I know exactly what I want to do, but haven't found the tiles yet. Thought I would do the priming and sketch my design and then determine how much tile to buy. So many ideas, I must stay focused! I just love this forum. Again thanks, and I visit you all every day for your knowledge and inspirations.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here