Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Eye!

Posted by calinromania (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 17, 09 at 2:43

hello. last night i finished it.
again... what grout? black? how will the black eyebrows and the white/pink part of the eye come out?

and... how can i protect the tiles from the grout? the surface is not perfectly smooth...
someone suggested candle wax, or furniture polish... but HOW? i guess wax covers the holes and cracks and later on can be removed. same for the polish?
but again... HOW?

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/573066038IELZXg

Calin

Here is a link that might be useful: The Eye

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Eye!

My goodness, CALIN, that's beautiful. You're really a perfectionist. 'fraid I can't help you re grout color, or masking. I don't worry about those things. Someone else w/chime in, I'm sure.

o

lol...thanks SMD!
i like things that look good. and i know where this one goes... will show you once it's up on the wall :)

o

Calin, I am impressed with this. When I read "The Eye", had no idea what I was in for. Love it, love the colors you used. What are the dimensions? I am very fond of black grout. It seems to make all colors pop and shine. But we all have our preferences. What kind of tiles are they? I would just go a head and grout. The final cleaning can take care of pits etc on the piece. Can't wait to see it done.

o

I take it these are vitreous? Frankly, its a lost cause trying to prevent catching grout in those pits. I've looked at a lot of art and it looks like most artists just accept the staining as part of the look vitreous gives a piece. My only suggestion would be to do a watered down white glue wash. or possible a permanent clear finisher.

On colors, if you have the dry grout you can dust it over the piece and get an idea of how it would look. The black brows will be fine since you work so tightly but black will definately accentuatate your grout lines in the white.

its really cool looking, great design and colors

o

hi guys...
it's Murano Smalto... i thought it was smalti...but someone told me it's just the name. well, here it is
http://www.thecraftkit.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=49_17
same recipi as smalto but regular shapes... which is good when you don't want different thickness and a lot of variety.

yes, my mirror has a few stains of grout. but it looks OK... gives it a kind of "antique" look?
LOL

i am just afraid it will be more on this Murano Smalto as the top surface is really not that smooth... doesn't really have cracks and holes... just the finish is not that smooth. i guess grout won't really fill them up...

so... u like it?
hehehe.... me too ... can't wait to hang this one up on the wall!!!

o

OH Calin!!! That is beautiful! I too am a fan of black grout. I've used white and made some pink once but both were a huge disappointment after using black. Black just seems to make ALL the colors POP right before your eyes. But, Katishook is right, it's a matter of preference. Again, that is amazing and you have one steady hand, girl! Keep it up, darlin'....looks like you found your JOY!

Addiesue

o

Oh I've used that, it cleans up great! an occasional thin line of stain here and there - no big deal - use a q tip with vinegar and a fine dental pic. - you're golden!

o

That is incredible. You sure do wonderful keystoning. Any tips, I still can't get it down?

I vote for black too. I love that smalto, was wondering why all the colors looked so deep, i was thinking maybe it was smalti. would love to work with that some day.

It's truly beautiful, great design and wonderful execution

o

Great job. I think I would go white on the eye and black on the rest. You do good work and now I suppose you are addicted!!!!

o

Calin- you can use masking tape to protect the area from grout..use white or off white one the eye and charcoal or black on the rest. Do the darkest grout first, then mask off the dark and do the light....excellent placement, this eye is surely eye candy. You can also use a tile & grout sealer on all of it before grouting...I have done this a lot on ceramic tiles with no glaze. Good luck

o

thanks guys!
smalto looks nice...and is regular shaped... so easy to use. haven't used smalti yet... i guess there is no need for grout spaces there.

ok... light grey on the white/pink part of the eye... and black on the rest....

vinegar, maybe a sealer (if i can explain in romanian to the people in the shops)

and...go for it!

THANKS guys!

will... post a pic when it's done!

o

SO FAST AND SO PERFECT!!!!

o

gosh??? FAST yes... PERFECT... not even close!
but... i am happy u like it :)

today i am gonna do the grouting...

YEY!

o

I like The Eye alot! I believe because it's kind of abstract the black grout would look fine on all of it. But you have probably already grouted it one way or the other, and I'm sure it's terrific! Let's see!

o

Here it is. DONE!

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2313494940104010362IZacKf

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2351046460104010362DOEuKa

:)

o

Calin, this turned out awesome. The charcoal grout is a good choice. Great job.

Kat

o

What a wonderful design, and it's execution is just about perfect. And, YES - love your grout choice. Man, you do have a talent w/mosaics. Are you hooked yet?

o

VERY hooked!!!
thanks guys!
i hope i never run out of ideas and well... materials!
would love to get some smalti, stained glass, millefiori... but right now... no funds for it!

o

it looks spectacular! because you work in such a controled andamento - you can highlight your grout lines and it only enhances the whole. Where as I look for grout to forgive my andamento! lol

o

Amen NT! Gorgeous finished pc Calin! Perfection!Can't go wrong with charcoal grout!!!

o

thanks nice and cala...
:)
on a little vacation for a fee days. can't wait to start a NEW one...

hehehe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here