Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calinromania

The Eye!

calinromania
14 years ago

hello. last night i finished it.

again... what grout? black? how will the black eyebrows and the white/pink part of the eye come out?

and... how can i protect the tiles from the grout? the surface is not perfectly smooth...

someone suggested candle wax, or furniture polish... but HOW? i guess wax covers the holes and cracks and later on can be removed. same for the polish?

but again... HOW?

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/573066038IELZXg

Calin

Here is a link that might be useful: The Eye

Comments (21)

• texaswild
    14 years ago

My goodness, CALIN, that's beautiful. You're really a perfectionist. 'fraid I can't help you re grout color, or masking. I don't worry about those things. Someone else w/chime in, I'm sure.

• calinromania
    Original Author
    14 years ago

lol...thanks SMD!
    i like things that look good. and i know where this one goes... will show you once it's up on the wall :)

• katishooked
    14 years ago

Calin, I am impressed with this. When I read "The Eye", had no idea what I was in for. Love it, love the colors you used. What are the dimensions? I am very fond of black grout. It seems to make all colors pop and shine. But we all have our preferences. What kind of tiles are they? I would just go a head and grout. The final cleaning can take care of pits etc on the piece. Can't wait to see it done.

• nicethyme
    14 years ago

I take it these are vitreous? Frankly, its a lost cause trying to prevent catching grout in those pits. I've looked at a lot of art and it looks like most artists just accept the staining as part of the look vitreous gives a piece. My only suggestion would be to do a watered down white glue wash. or possible a permanent clear finisher.

On colors, if you have the dry grout you can dust it over the piece and get an idea of how it would look. The black brows will be fine since you work so tightly but black will definately accentuatate your grout lines in the white.

its really cool looking, great design and colors

• calinromania
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hi guys...
    it's Murano Smalto... i thought it was smalti...but someone told me it's just the name. well, here it is
    http://www.thecraftkit.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=49_17
    same recipi as smalto but regular shapes... which is good when you don't want different thickness and a lot of variety.

yes, my mirror has a few stains of grout. but it looks OK... gives it a kind of "antique" look?
    LOL

i am just afraid it will be more on this Murano Smalto as the top surface is really not that smooth... doesn't really have cracks and holes... just the finish is not that smooth. i guess grout won't really fill them up...

so... u like it?
    hehehe.... me too ... can't wait to hang this one up on the wall!!!

• addiesue
    14 years ago

OH Calin!!! That is beautiful! I too am a fan of black grout. I've used white and made some pink once but both were a huge disappointment after using black. Black just seems to make ALL the colors POP right before your eyes. But, Katishook is right, it's a matter of preference. Again, that is amazing and you have one steady hand, girl! Keep it up, darlin'....looks like you found your JOY!

Addiesue

• nicethyme
    14 years ago

Oh I've used that, it cleans up great! an occasional thin line of stain here and there - no big deal - use a q tip with vinegar and a fine dental pic. - you're golden!

• Mermaid
    14 years ago

That is incredible. You sure do wonderful keystoning. Any tips, I still can't get it down?

I vote for black too. I love that smalto, was wondering why all the colors looked so deep, i was thinking maybe it was smalti. would love to work with that some day.

It's truly beautiful, great design and wonderful execution

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

Great job. I think I would go white on the eye and black on the rest. You do good work and now I suppose you are addicted!!!!

• flagtruck
    14 years ago

Calin- you can use masking tape to protect the area from grout..use white or off white one the eye and charcoal or black on the rest. Do the darkest grout first, then mask off the dark and do the light....excellent placement, this eye is surely eye candy. You can also use a tile & grout sealer on all of it before grouting...I have done this a lot on ceramic tiles with no glaze. Good luck

• calinromania
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks guys!
    smalto looks nice...and is regular shaped... so easy to use. haven't used smalti yet... i guess there is no need for grout spaces there.

ok... light grey on the white/pink part of the eye... and black on the rest....

vinegar, maybe a sealer (if i can explain in romanian to the people in the shops)

and...go for it!

THANKS guys!

will... post a pic when it's done!

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

SO FAST AND SO PERFECT!!!!

• calinromania
    Original Author
    14 years ago

gosh??? FAST yes... PERFECT... not even close!
    but... i am happy u like it :)

today i am gonna do the grouting...

YEY!

• ladyronnie
    14 years ago

I like The Eye alot! I believe because it's kind of abstract the black grout would look fine on all of it. But you have probably already grouted it one way or the other, and I'm sure it's terrific! Let's see!

• katishooked
    14 years ago

Calin, this turned out awesome. The charcoal grout is a good choice. Great job.

Kat

• texaswild
    14 years ago

What a wonderful design, and it's execution is just about perfect. And, YES - love your grout choice. Man, you do have a talent w/mosaics. Are you hooked yet?

• calinromania
    Original Author
    14 years ago

VERY hooked!!!
    thanks guys!
    i hope i never run out of ideas and well... materials!
    would love to get some smalti, stained glass, millefiori... but right now... no funds for it!

• nicethyme
    14 years ago

it looks spectacular! because you work in such a controled andamento - you can highlight your grout lines and it only enhances the whole. Where as I look for grout to forgive my andamento! lol

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

Amen NT! Gorgeous finished pc Calin! Perfection!Can't go wrong with charcoal grout!!!

• calinromania
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks nice and cala...
    :)
    on a little vacation for a fee days. can't wait to start a NEW one...

hehehe

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting