Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ontariomom

Using a stained glass window as wall art

ontariomom
11 years ago

Hi folks,

We are building an addition, and are making changes to our front elevation. Among these changes we will be replacing our front door and semi circle window over door. After the renos we will have a rectangular transom over the front door and no longer a semi circle window.

Currently we have a beautiful stained glass semi circle that sits against the window as a insert. I am trying to find a new home for this lovely stained glass work of art. I hope to find a way to frame it with back lighting and hang it on the wall as art. I hope it will not look like a window, but more like wall art.

Has anyone framed stained glass with back lighting, or seen it done effectively? Any tips to share? Thanks!

Carol

Comments (3)

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

If there is a stained glass shop in your area, you could ask them how to do this...it has a lot of different factors to consider....cuz it depends if your glass is opaque or clear as to how different lighting would work/look. Or maybe if it is clear glass, you may want to add a frost effect to it to block the sight of the lits? dunno.... interesting project tho!Hope you keep posting about it!

• ingeorgia
    11 years ago

My aunt got a window from her church... they had it framed and a light put in the back. It looked beautiful when the light was on ... well when the light was off too but especially when illuminated. Not sure how it was put together but it can be done ... I think the frame was thick enough to hide the light at the top.

• wackyweeder
    11 years ago

Try googling light box stained glass. That is what you want-a liht box, modified to hold your window They are easier to make yourself than to purchase.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!