Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using a stained glass window as wall art

Posted by OntarioMom (My Page) on
Mon, May 21, 12 at 23:02

Hi folks,

We are building an addition, and are making changes to our front elevation. Among these changes we will be replacing our front door and semi circle window over door. After the renos we will have a rectangular transom over the front door and no longer a semi circle window.

Currently we have a beautiful stained glass semi circle that sits against the window as a insert. I am trying to find a new home for this lovely stained glass work of art. I hope to find a way to frame it with back lighting and hang it on the wall as art. I hope it will not look like a window, but more like wall art.

Has anyone framed stained glass with back lighting, or seen it done effectively? Any tips to share? Thanks!

Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using a stained glass window as wall art

If there is a stained glass shop in your area, you could ask them how to do this...it has a lot of different factors to consider....cuz it depends if your glass is opaque or clear as to how different lighting would work/look. Or maybe if it is clear glass, you may want to add a frost effect to it to block the sight of the lits? dunno.... interesting project tho!Hope you keep posting about it!

o

My aunt got a window from her church... they had it framed and a light put in the back. It looked beautiful when the light was on ... well when the light was off too but especially when illuminated. Not sure how it was put together but it can be done ... I think the frame was thick enough to hide the light at the top.

o

Try googling light box stained glass. That is what you want-a liht box, modified to hold your window They are easier to make yourself than to purchase.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here