Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicethyme

well gosh...

nicethyme
17 years ago

I took my antiquity vessel/ amphora - like/ BB out to the garden today and set it up in the yellow bed.

Ya knoooooow... that big ole BB looks so SMALL out there, made me realize - my gardens could support A WHOLE BUNCH MORE than I was thinking! LOL

started my first column today too - for the red BB, I'll keep you aprised of my adventures in cement.

planted my planter, I'll have to get a pic of that - the flower colors are perfect with the shards. Very cool!

spent my weekend cutting glass for someone elses project... remember the moms that helped me with the table? they're doing one as a gift to the Pre K teacher. So I got tracings of all the kiddos hands! and did name tags, cut up all the fill tesserae and tumbled it. Gonna loan my nippers to them, wrote up a tip sheet... I can't wait to see what they make! it's so exciting!

Comments (19)

• shrty411
    17 years ago

LOL, your bed will fill up soon enough. That's why I extended my front to put more stuff out. I told my DH it was so he didn't have as much grass to mow!

Sound like a great project for the teacher.

Of course, pictures of all of it are required!

Maria

• texaswild
    17 years ago

Oooooooo - sounds exciting at NICE's place. I'm into gardening too - just dug a new bed and placed a HUGE pot in the middle of what w/be a Day Lilly bed - right smack dab in the middle of my front yard. My neighbors are gonna be calling me Bizzy Lizzy. Tell us about your column technique - pics of WIP, please. Oh so anxious to see what the ladies do w/the NICE-inspired project - exciting indeed - another NICE project to watch unfold.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Slow, I'm using the sona tube but I didn't make it solid - stuck a PVC pipe through the middle and left about a foot sticking out of what will be the bottem. Planning to sink that in the ground to make it stable.

I unmolded it today and just had to mess around with a little sculpting (don't know if it will work but what the hay!) I need to go up and unwrap it so I can mist it and see what's happening!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

uh oh....

why is it that most things I make turn out looking very phallic? mmmmmmmmmmmm (shrug)

• ba1je
    17 years ago

you do make me giggle sometimes..barb

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

just wait till I get a picture up! you'll be rolling with laughter! LOL

• texaswild
    17 years ago

Uh oh, here we go again. Anxiously awaiting pics.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

rain rain go away...

I'm jones'n to play with my ceeeement... huh... thing. It's been so cold and wet today, I doubt I could count this as curing time. Dang...

Dh say's this morning, "whats under the tarp up by your truck?" uh... I rolled my eyes and sarcastically say "I'm making a column, REMEMBER!?" LOL he didn't ask for details.

• texaswild
    17 years ago

Oh, yes - concrete can cure even under water. Do we get a picture today? HUUUURRRRYYY.

• Calamity_J
    17 years ago

Okay smut girl, lets see how shocking this one is!!!hee hee!!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

ALRIGHT ALRIGHT settle down now lol

It's getting a bit better everyday, it was bad the first day cause I started building it up at the top. Still have some more at the bottom to add and then I think it will be ready for glass.

{{!gwi}}

• texaswild
    17 years ago

Somehow I expected a HUGE column. So, this is a pedestal for - ooooops, I'm old and I forgot. So you took a PVC and just molded concrete around it????? How did you get the shapes? Was this slumping or did you do the spiral effect on purpose? I LIKE it - can't wait to see it mosaiced. It looks very smooth. Did you mix your own concrete w/cement and sand? Ideas on the mosaic design??? Another NICE watch.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It's for my first mosaic - the red and purple BB.

I started with an 8" sona tube and stuck a 4" PVC pipe through it. The first mix was 1-1-1 cement, course sand and perlite, that I tamped down between the tube and the pipe. Next day I cut the tube away and used a 1-1 cement and course sand to roughly form the swirls. Now I'm using a 1-1 cement and fine sand to smooth it all out and refine the swirls.

It will be mostly green with some teal and maybe a bit of blue and all of it "moving" in a pattern along the swirlly.

• texaswild
    17 years ago

Oh, yes, now I remember that wonderful bowling ball. Oh, this is gonna be a real beauty in your garden. You surely do a great job of smoothing the concrete. That's really neat and tidy and w/take the mosaic beautifully. Colors sound divine.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Trick that I picked up at GAF, use a moist paintbrush! really works great

• texaswild
    17 years ago

Can't figure out what GAF is, and know I'll slap my head when you tell me, but I'm gonna mentally file that moist paintbrush technique away for my next concrete project.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

GW won't allow me to write GARDEN the link or the name ART due to some strange FORUM rules here...

• chris2u
    17 years ago

slowmedown,

If you'll google " thegardenartforum " , it will help take you there. Like here, they have a nice group of helpful people and are very generous in sharing their ideas.

anotherchris

• texaswild
    17 years ago

Oh, thanks, CHRIS: I've added it to my favs for later prusal.

Sponsored