Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gazing Ball done

Posted by mermaid4life (My Page) on
Sun, May 31, 09 at 22:28

Here's my first try at a bowling ball mosaic. I used silvercoat mirror red and gold for the sun, and glow-in-dark blue for the moon. Underneath the moon are a dusting of starts, with the ORION constellation included, those are glowinthedark too. I'm anxious to see how it will look at night, but first i have to do build a pedestal. I have a heavy piece of irrigation pipe that i will concrete, bought a piece of rebar today at Lowes and left one hole open in the BB. So should be able to feed the ball onto the stand. Then I will mosaic the stand.

Flickr">First bowling ball

I've read several ways of doing the pedestal but i think for my first try, i will just concrete INSIDE the pipe, leave the pipe there and then concrete over the pipe. I might just be able to pull the pipe out and use it again, but in was really cheap. Stay tuned..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gazing Ball done

Mermaid, your BB looks beautiful, I'd like to see more of it! Let us know if the glow in the dark works it would definitely look amazing. Bravo!

o

Oh, my!!! That is sooooooo beautiful. Yeah, I'm w/Charmo - wanna see all sides.

o

First try!!!!! Beautiful. Even more so if glow in dark works. Let us know.

o

Thanks Slow, Charmo, and Kati. There a a couple more views on my flickr site.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mermaidmosaicsbythesea/

oh the glow in the dark does work. You can see my backsplash
Night time view Glow in Dark Tile

o

OOlala!!!! Beautiful!, where do you buy glow in the dark glass?

o

I wanna know where to get them also!

o

Beautiful job...this thing is drop dead gorgeous....I love your choice of colors...lovely....I am drooling. going to Flickr to see the rest...great work.

o

Em, Charmo and Flag, thank you so much for your kind words. they made my day. I get the organiks glow in the dark tile from Kathy at Maryland mosaics. I love they are made of recycled glass, she has so many different colors, but only one -my all time favorite is the baby blue by day, glowing blue by night, but they are VERY STEEP. I just bought two more sheets when she had her anniversary sale. If you put in gardenweb, she will give you a 10%.

Be warned, they are $40 per sq. ft!! I put a little piece in everything that I do and I just love it.

i can't get the STUPID link to work(I hate that when it happens), but you can type in
http://www.marylandmosaics.com/
and go to organiks..

o

Thanks mermaid! Woo, they are steep! One day though, I will be ordering some. Thanks and again beautiful job!

o

Mermaid, am I seeing your picture correctly? Is the grout on the top actually gold? If so, how on earth did you do that. It glistens like gold jewelry. Boy, would I like to do that! Thanks for your help.

Cheers, Vee

o

Sure Charmo, if you get them, be sure to post pix of your wip!!

Vee, no i just used charcoal grout, what I think you're seeing is the spectrum silvercoat gold mirror and red mirror are reflecting light. It's the first time I used this mirror, and it really gives you bling and light to any project you are doing.

o

I'm loving the glow in the dark tiles! I usually just lurk here and have learned so many different techniques. Now my mind is really going in all directions and I'm wondering, as an alternative to the expensive glow in the dark glass, if one could use a glow in the dark paint underneath the safety glass type mosaic and still get the glow in the dark effect? Anybody ever tried that?

o

Mermaid I love yur BB!!!! Just BEAUTIFUL it is!!! And the Glow in the dark tiles are amazing!!! Very very lovely ...

o

WOW! Good Job and LOVE those tiles, the backsplash is Awesome!!!

o

Thanks China, Cathy and Calamity
China, no I haven't tried that but maybe some one has. I did buy some glow in thedark polyclay and that does glow, though it doesn't last as long timewise as the organiks glass tiles.. but it's cool. I did it for my nephew's bday plaque.
I think it was sculpey but i am sure you can check. I plan on buying more of the glow clay because life is too short to not enjoy playing with cool things.

o
New views add6_13

I just took some new views of the gazing ball, you can check out my flickr site if you want. Once I make the pedestal, will take pix at night. I love my new camera-just got this week

Here is a link that might be useful: Gazing Ball view

o

I've loved this BB since the first I saw it. It's beautiful with the mirror tiles.

o

Daisy, you are so sweet. I feel the exact same about your gazing balls. I've never worked with TG and yours was just too beautiful. Have you started your commission yet??

o

EXCELLENT, MER - It's a real beauty. I've only mosaiced one orb - made from a light fixture filled w/concrete. Good job.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here