Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mermaidmosaics

Gazing Ball done

Mermaid
14 years ago

Here's my first try at a bowling ball mosaic. I used silvercoat mirror red and gold for the sun, and glow-in-dark blue for the moon. Underneath the moon are a dusting of starts, with the ORION constellation included, those are glowinthedark too. I'm anxious to see how it will look at night, but first i have to do build a pedestal. I have a heavy piece of irrigation pipe that i will concrete, bought a piece of rebar today at Lowes and left one hole open in the BB. So should be able to feed the ball onto the stand. Then I will mosaic the stand.

Flickr">

I've read several ways of doing the pedestal but i think for my first try, i will just concrete INSIDE the pipe, leave the pipe there and then concrete over the pipe. I might just be able to pull the pipe out and use it again, but in was really cheap. Stay tuned..

Comments (19)

• charmo
    14 years ago

Mermaid, your BB looks beautiful, I'd like to see more of it! Let us know if the glow in the dark works it would definitely look amazing. Bravo!

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Oh, my!!! That is sooooooo beautiful. Yeah, I'm w/Charmo - wanna see all sides.

• katishooked
    14 years ago

First try!!!!! Beautiful. Even more so if glow in dark works. Let us know.

• Mermaid
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Slow, Charmo, and Kati. There a a couple more views on my flickr site.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mermaidmosaicsbythesea/

oh the glow in the dark does work. You can see my backsplash

• emtnest
    14 years ago

OOlala!!!! Beautiful!, where do you buy glow in the dark glass?

• charmo
    14 years ago

I wanna know where to get them also!

• flagtruck
    14 years ago

Beautiful job...this thing is drop dead gorgeous....I love your choice of colors...lovely....I am drooling. going to Flickr to see the rest...great work.

• Mermaid
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Em, Charmo and Flag, thank you so much for your kind words. they made my day. I get the organiks glow in the dark tile from Kathy at Maryland mosaics. I love they are made of recycled glass, she has so many different colors, but only one -my all time favorite is the baby blue by day, glowing blue by night, but they are VERY STEEP. I just bought two more sheets when she had her anniversary sale. If you put in gardenweb, she will give you a 10%.

Be warned, they are $40 per sq. ft!! I put a little piece in everything that I do and I just love it.

i can't get the STUPID link to work(I hate that when it happens), but you can type in
    http://www.marylandmosaics.com/
    and go to organiks..

• charmo
    14 years ago

Thanks mermaid! Woo, they are steep! One day though, I will be ordering some. Thanks and again beautiful job!

• vee78910
    14 years ago

Mermaid, am I seeing your picture correctly? Is the grout on the top actually gold? If so, how on earth did you do that. It glistens like gold jewelry. Boy, would I like to do that! Thanks for your help.

Cheers, Vee

• Mermaid
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sure Charmo, if you get them, be sure to post pix of your wip!!

Vee, no i just used charcoal grout, what I think you're seeing is the spectrum silvercoat gold mirror and red mirror are reflecting light. It's the first time I used this mirror, and it really gives you bling and light to any project you are doing.

• chinatreasures
    14 years ago

I'm loving the glow in the dark tiles! I usually just lurk here and have learned so many different techniques. Now my mind is really going in all directions and I'm wondering, as an alternative to the expensive glow in the dark glass, if one could use a glow in the dark paint underneath the safety glass type mosaic and still get the glow in the dark effect? Anybody ever tried that?

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

Mermaid I love yur BB!!!! Just BEAUTIFUL it is!!! And the Glow in the dark tiles are amazing!!! Very very lovely ...

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

WOW! Good Job and LOVE those tiles, the backsplash is Awesome!!!

• Mermaid
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks China, Cathy and Calamity
    China, no I haven't tried that but maybe some one has. I did buy some glow in thedark polyclay and that does glow, though it doesn't last as long timewise as the organiks glass tiles.. but it's cool. I did it for my nephew's bday plaque.
    I think it was sculpey but i am sure you can check. I plan on buying more of the glow clay because life is too short to not enjoy playing with cool things.

• Mermaid
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just took some new views of the gazing ball, you can check out my flickr site if you want. Once I make the pedestal, will take pix at night. I love my new camera-just got this week

Here is a link that might be useful: Gazing Ball view

• daisyme
    14 years ago

I've loved this BB since the first I saw it. It's beautiful with the mirror tiles.

• Mermaid
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Daisy, you are so sweet. I feel the exact same about your gazing balls. I've never worked with TG and yours was just too beautiful. Have you started your commission yet??

• texaswild
    14 years ago

EXCELLENT, MER - It's a real beauty. I've only mosaiced one orb - made from a light fixture filled w/concrete. Good job.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH