Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
igmommy

New to this hobby

igmommy
11 years ago

And, all of you are my inspiration. Love, love love to come here and see what everyone is working on. So, I'm relatively new to this hobby. Although, I'm always "crafting" something. Am really enjoying myself. Luckily, I live just outside of Kokomo, IN. I can get stained glass from Kokomo Opalescent Glass relatively cheap. I've been cutting it myself with a plain old glass cutter. Is this how everyone does it, or am I just cheap? LOL Anyway, I've recently done a few bird baths out of clay pots and just finished doing risers on stairs. You can see them here: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos

Thanks for looking and would love to know what you all experts think of my feeble attempts compared to you guys.

Comments (16)

• silvamae
    11 years ago

Hi Keana and welcome -- I cut my glass with wheeled nippers. When you say "glass cutter" what does it look like? Keana, when I copy and paste the link, I get my own pictures! So try again on the pictures; I would love to see them.

• igmommy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hmmm.....lets see if this works. Silvamae I just used a regular glass cutter. It's just shaped like a pen with a tiny wheel at the bottom. What is this wheeled cutter. Does that work better? Anyway, this is supposed to be a slideshow.

https://picasaweb.google.com/s/c/bin/slideshow.swf"; width="288" height="192" flashvars="host=picasaweb.google.com&hl=en_US&feat=flashalbum&RGB=0x000000&feed=https%3A%2F%2Fpicasaweb.google.com%2Fdata%2Ffeed%2Fapi%2Fuser%2F112016252476350746840%3Falt%3Drss%26kind%3Dphoto%26access%3Dpublic%26psc%3DF%26q%26uname%3D112016252476350746840" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer">;

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

Welcome aboard!!! I tried both and still no pics...drats! Keep trying...we wanna see!!!

• silvamae
    11 years ago

I still can't view your pics. There are instructions somewhere that will help. I will go look and come back and post where they are.

The cutters I mentioned are Leponitt glass nippers and I use them 99% of the time. I also have a Toyo pistol grip glass cutter that has a wheel at the bottom that I use sometimes.

• silvamae
    11 years ago

Okay, found the link below

Here is a link that might be useful: How to post pictures

• chinatreasures
    11 years ago

Hi Keana - welcome! How lucky for you living near Kokomo - I would go broke if I was anywhere near there!

I use a wheeled cutter and nippers, I use the cutter to cut the main shape and nippers for final fitting. Hope that makes sense.

Can't wait to see your pictures.

• igmommy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK. Gonna try this a new way. If this doesn't work, I give up...lol I really am having so much fun with this new hobby. I have so many ideas running around in my head that I'll never be able to finish (let alone start) all of them. hehe I think it's all you guys fault. Looking at all your beautiful stuff gives me ideas and more ideas. Kokomo Opalescent glass has bins and bins full of scrap pieces of glass left over from their projects or just broken pieces for hardly nothing. I want to go there and buy and buy just because.....lol

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

FABULOUS!!! Thank goodness you persevered!!! Nice pics, and they get a bigger pic if you click on them! LOVE those stair raisers! Ya, I would be bankrupt if I lived that close to KOKOMO!!!! I drool just thinking about that place!lol! I just toured Spectrum Glass, that was a treat! Glad you found us! You are giving me inspiration for a front porch I want to do!!!

• igmommy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Calamity! Ya, those steps are on my daughter's house. Don't know if I could be that bold on my own house, but it looks cute on her little bungalow...lol She wanted bold, she got it...haha Can you see the "Love Mom" I snuck in there. Tried to be discreet with it, but had to put it in there. She thought it was funny! Hope I did it right and it stays on through Indiana winters! Time will tell. I would love to try some of that spectrum glass, it's so expensive though and I'm cheap....haha

• texaswild
    11 years ago

KEANA: I don't see evidence of you being a newbie here. Those are absolutely gorgeous mosaics. Love them all. Welcome to the forum. Glad you got the picture posting down. More More More!!!

• silvamae
    11 years ago

Thanks for the pics. Love the steps!

• chinatreasures
    11 years ago

Whoa!! Those are absolutely gorgeous and the steps are amazing. How long were you on your hands and knees making those steps? Great job!!

• igmommy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much guys! Slow....That's really all I've done except a couple of flower pots out of broken china....lol Don't have any more...haha China....I actually glued it all on fiberglass mesh at home and then took over there and applied with adhesive and grouted. Would never have done it otherwise....ha ha.......Wayyyy toooo old to spend that much time on my hands and knees. I'd never be able to get up. She's much younger and helped me apply and grout.

• loribee2
    11 years ago

WOW Keana, what beautiful work!! I love those stairs. Love the colors you used. Very tasteful and understated, but they make a beautiful statement. And smart to do them on mesh then transfer. I've never tried that technique but between you and Silvamae's butterflies, I'm going to have to give it a try. Love the other projects too. That birdbath is lovely!

• katy1942
    11 years ago

I am considering getting into this kind of hobby. I live in Lapeer, MI and am trying to collect information on how to do things. First, would like to know what type of adhesive to use. Thanks

• silvamae
    11 years ago

Hi, Katy. Sorry, I just now saw this; don't know how I missed it earlier. Well, my favorite adhesive is MAC glue. I used to order it on line, but recently, a local stained glass shop in Austin, Blue Moon Glass, has started carrying it. I use it for everything, except sometimes, for glass-on-glass, outdoor, see-through applications, I use GE II Silicone Clear for Doors and Windows, and for outdoor, not see-through applications, I use thinset (mortar) as the adhesive.

Sponsored
WM Design Studio, LLC.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Loudoun County's Skilled Residential Architect | 4X Best of Houzz!