Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Some progress on Mr. Sea

Posted by loribee2 (My Page) on
Sat, May 14, 11 at 22:00

Okay, so these fins are HARD to mosaic. I tried a couple things before deciding to define the edge then let it dry good before I try adding the sides.

Photobucket

As I mentioned before, I redid the eyes and nose three times before settling on this:

Photobucket

boy, the face really defines the mood of the whole character, I discovered. But this is what I wanted. The others ranged from goofy to strange, lol.

Photobucket

This section of white on the side is supposed to be the splash when he comes out of the water. I was going to put a few of them around him and I've got NO IDEA whether the concept is going to work or not. This is the kind of seat-of-my-pants side of mosaic that I hate (I prefer knowing whether or not something is good before I do it LOL), but what can you do? Sometimes, you've got to just run with something and if it ends up sucking, live and learn!

3D mosaic is definitely a challenge, but I'm having a lot of fun watching him come to life.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Some progress on Mr. Sea

Update: Well, my little white splash is gone. Hubby and son came home and agreed that it would look better without it. So I scraped it off quick before the thinset hardened!

o

Loribee, that is SO COOL!!!! Thank you for posting your progress pics. I'm in awe of your talent to create the form in the first place. I love the copper flames coming out of his nose. And your glasswork is amazing. I like how you keep the tessarae close together so that when the piece is finished, the grout will enhance the piece, not overwhelm it. Beautiful!

o

I love Mr Sea!

o

Ditto the above. You're going great guns already. Love what you've done w/the spine and face too. The whole creation is truly magnificient, and I love it's base. To think - you made everything from scratch - must be sooooooo satisfying. This w/be a spectacular piece when finished.

o

Thanks ladies! I am having a lot of fun with him.

o

Yes that is so looking great!!!

o
One more...

Now it's back to work for me until next weekend. :-(

Photobucket

o

That's just going to be fabulous! Makes me want to try something, but I think I'd be sorely disappointed in comparison. I love that you have a window at your workspace too. A definite plus.

o

Absolutely lovely. What a handsome guy he's gonna be. Love seeing all the steps as you progress.

o

Thanks! I do love my workshop. It looks out onto my veggie garden and is my favorite "room in the house". LOL

o

Looking great.

o

I'M SPEECHLESS!!! He is gonna be PERFECT!!! Love those nuggets and the colors!!

o

OMGoodness he is looking so fantastic! I also have workshop envy :)

o

He's terrrific. Great color choices. Interesting to know about doing the edges first. Love the face.
Kathy

o

He is looking so good, wow!

o

Wow..can't wait to see him finished. He's going to be awesome!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here