Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicethyme

an alternative to BBs

nicethyme
16 years ago

Since it appears that weather conditions can put our beloved orbs at risk here's a possibility for making your own sphere...

Here is a link that might be useful: sphere molds

Comments (15)

• klinger
    16 years ago

I've got those molds and they are really good. I find a super easy way to make spheres is just to use the round glass light fixtures that were so common in many homes. I find them at the thrift stores for a quarter often. Don't worry abut lubricating them, just put the cement mix in, vibrate it lightly to remove air bubbles and let cure for a week or so. Then put it in a plastic bag and use a hammer to break the light fixture off. You can use all shapes of light fixtures to make interesting cement objects,
    Cindy

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Well what great ideas, NICE and KLINGER. Actually I am in the process of trying to make a wire mesh version, but only got to round one - two sections together - NOT EASY, so might trash my idea and go for one of these.

• seaglassic
    16 years ago

the hypertufa forum is full of ideas for this very thing!
    check them out and go to the 'search' list

I've spent much time there and they answer all questions, no matter how repetitive it is..lol

and they give easy recipes!
    you can buy an inexpensive doll at the thrift store and cover it with the mixture and have a garden cherub, too..
    ideas are endless there....

• rosemarythyme
    16 years ago

Thanks for both of those suggestions! I still have two BB's that I'll mosaic but in the future I'll be looking for alternatives.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hey Klinger! Q - do you think the molds are a better alternative to using a workout ball and sculpting around it?

• lascatx
    16 years ago

Thanks for both of the ideas. I'm afraid to try a BB here after reading about cracking ones. I've been wondering what I would use instead.

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Yeah, NICE/KLINGER - I have a jr. basketball, and I'm thinking I'll mold some scrunched up chicken wire (cuz it's easier to manage than the mesh) around it and sculpting the cement mixture over it and smoothing it, hopefully, as smoothly as that of your pedestal, NICE. Y'all think that might work???

• klinger
    16 years ago

The sculpting around the out side of a ball is very doeable. I've done it. The filling the glass globes and then breaking them off is hugely easier and faster. If you want to lighten it up a bit put some styrafoam in the centre when you put your mix in. When you do the out side of a ball you will have to do the top half let it set and then go to the bottom half, and likely repeat . Far more time consuming. You can fill up half a dozen light fixtures in no time at all. They also look pretty cool just painted when you unmold.
    Cindy

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That sounds way easy, I'll be hunting for light fixture globes! thanks

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Slow, I think you might want to consider just using the mesh tape used by drywallers instead of wire. You'll probably get a smoother piece that way.

Klinger, isn't that what most use on the workout ball spheres?

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Hey, another great idea - Next time I have time to play w/my REAL toys (gardening now, and another family/friends dancing/bbqueing weekend coming up), I'm gonna try that tape. Think I have some in the garage somewhere. Wasn't so much worried about the smoothness as I was the strength of the concrete - thus the wire.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    16 years ago

Great idea on the light globes Cindy!

I've been trying to figure out a way to do balls with a 'pole' already in them to set them in the ground at different heights, and would think that after pouring the concrete in the globe, you could place a pipe or piece of rebar in the cement and let that cure as such. Think it would work?

• klinger
    16 years ago

Morning all. Yes dry wall tape would be a user friendlier product for you to try Slow. That's what most people use. This is not the easiest project ever though, you have to do it in sections and go back to it.Hi Tiffy your idea of rebar or poles in the concrete would work perfectly, just insert it when you've just done your pour and then when it cures it will be in there hard.
    Cindy

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

For putting the pipe in the ball I have a book that explains it..they use styrofoam...take your styrofoam ball..cut in half carve out section for pipe to go through, use glue that works for styrofoam to glue two halves together AFTER inserting pipe..then use mortar mix to cover ball..waa laaah you have a lightweight (till the glass goes on it) ball with a tube in it!! Its from a concrete craft book I have called...CREATIVE CONCRETE ORNAMENTS FOR THE GARDEN by Sherri Warner Hunter..gives concrete recipes how tos an more..I absolutely drool over this book, her other one is CREATING WITH CONCRETE YARD ART,SCULPTURE AND GARDEN PROJECTS.

I got my books used on alibris.com and they are worth every cent...hope this helps all of you.

Oh it also goes over using the mesh/tape method used by drywallers.

• crystal01
    16 years ago

bump - saving these great tips from falling off the board!

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert