Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loribee2

Back when I didn't know what I was doing....I made this mirror!

loribee2
11 years ago

This puppy is almost 15 years old, but the question about that beautiful pearl edged mirror reminded me that I'd done this.

Mind you, this was pre-internet. I had no idea how to mosaic or tile or anything. I just got an idea and ran with it.

I started with a pre-cut round of plywood (you can find them at Lowes and Home Depot). I painted the plywood gold and silver. A glass company cut the round center for me out of 1/4" mirror. They gave me scrap mirror for free to do the rest which I cut using plain old stained glass cutters.

All the mirror was simply glued to the painted plywood. Instead of grouting, I piped clear silicone in the spaces, mostly to protect against the sharp edges. I edged the mirror with plain old copper tape you buy in the garden area for keeping slugs off your plants.

I'm surprised at how well this has stood the test of time, since I seriously had no idea what I was doing. But it is a testament to indoor projects. They are far more forgiving than outdoor projects. You have much more freedom of techniques and materials when you don't have to worry about the elements.

Hmmm, I'd love to do a new mirror now that I'm a little more seasoned. Add that to my loooong list of projects! LOL

(Oh, and further proof of how clueless I was: I did this whole project at my dining room table....over carpet...with a toddler running around. Sheesh!)

Comments (7)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor