Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shop door WIP

Posted by flagtruck (My Page) on
Tue, May 12, 09 at 19:36

Here's what I accomplished today on the door. I am going to let the turquoise frame the colors and all of the beige background will be done in 1/8" mirror. I hit two yard sales this weekend and found 5 big mirrors from bathroom remodels, so now I have an abundance of mirrors. I cut up one I found a couple weeks ago in the glass company's dumpster, it was 4' x 6' and I got a lot of pieces out of it. I can't wait to see this guy finished and rehung. More pics later.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shop door

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shop door WIP

Oh so nice!!!!! Really nice colors. It will be amazing. What kind of glue/thin set do you use on a verticle surface?

susie

o

Susie - I am using GEII on the ceramic tiles and I will use Liquid Nails for Mirror on the rest. I took the door down and am working on it in a horizontal position, but Slow did her's vertically so she can tell you more than I can. I am sure she will jump in here soon.

o

Hot diggedy dawg!!!!!!!!!! This is gorgeous, and I can just picture the mirror covering the rest. Woooooooohoooooooo. I love how your tess fits so perfectly - just like a puzzle. SUSIE: I used thinset - Mapei Ultraflex II, as I do on all outside projects. It sticks so well, you just slap it on and bam - it's done.

o

Oh way too cool!!! Love the colors...Yeah thinset is the way to go...I used thinset on my BR vanity panles (agates& rocks)...they were vertical, just have to make sure you have the thinset thick enough...holds great if you do...great job....love the way Slow says bam-it's done LOL>>>> later, Cathy

o

Flag, what a gorgeous piece this will be when done. Love your choice of colors. A show stopper to be sure. Don't dawdle ok?

Kat

o

it's a beauty-full idea....

I think I especially like it, too, for an inside bathroom door, here at the house.

o

The colors and placement are so artful, Flag. This is going to look wonderful.

o

Gorgeous Flag!

o

Yes that is going to look great!!!

o

GORGEOUS!!!

o

Wow this door is going to look over the top. I love those bright colors, they really make me think of fiesta ware. The mirrors are really going to make it blingie,
cindy

o

Thanks all of you. Cindy, my whole kitchen is Fiesta Ware so is my backsplash in the kitchen. I love the bright colors and am making more tile as we speak. Got to keep plenty of those colors around.

o
RE: Shop door WIP-update

Here is the progress to date on this door. Maybe I will finish tomorrow..

Here is a link that might be useful: Shop door

o

I might have some mirror left over for Slow's Great Wall. I bet she will take all my leftovers? LOL

o

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I knew it'd be spectacular, but THIS IS SUPER SPECTACULAR. I'm sure you've finished, and have it half grouted by now. I had no time to check in yesterday. This is so gorgeous, FLAG. Why would you give mirror away? Don't you use it in lots of your work. Of course, I'll take anything I'm given w/appreciation.

o

Wow, it's really looking blingie with all that mirror. I really love the colors with the mirror surround. So frustrating with the slow drying silicone isn't it? I know this will be done shortly though.
Cindy

o

Ah! Here it is! Thanks for sending me your update by email, Flag. It's so hard to know when new pictures have been added on this forum. The shop door is incredible and will be so bright and happy looking when it's installed. You didn't tell us if you're hanging it with piano hinges. That's bound to be heavy. Great project!

o

Flag your door is BEAUTIFULLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!! Great colors, love the mirror.....WOOOWWWW!!!

o

No Slow it isn;t finished yet. I still lack about 6" right down the middle towards the bottom of the door. A lot of leaning and standing so I am going slower than I would like. The grouting will still have to wait a few days until all the sillycone sits up. It sure takes a long time. No Gail, I am not using piano hinges, just the ones I have on there, I will use a little longer screws in the frame side. This door is not used much as I also have an overhead door to the shop, so once finished I will leave it closed and locked. This guy is heavy, my handyman and I turned it around this morning and I don't want to try this by myself.
Thanks Cathy and Cindy too, I sure like bling..maybe when the sun hits it it will glare on the neighbor on the South side of me that I don't care for..lol
I was only ribbing you about the size of your wall Slow, I will surely save you some leftovers if you need them..

o

AWESOME shop door!! Just love that bling!!! as to that gorgeous turq color really blending with the ceramic tile. How cool that you can make your own tile!!! One of these years I am going to take a class in using a kiln. !!

Great job, can you send over a little inspiration for me??, I am deep down in a creative chasm

o

At last, I put the last piece in about noon and have been waiting for the silly cone to set up so I could stand this up for a pic. I hope to grout in a day or two. I'm think lt grey or white for the mirror and charcoal for the tile part. Any suggestions?Mermaid, I wish I could send you some inspiration. I am like Slow and can't sleep many hours due to ideas running around in my head. I am going to do a concrete block stand to go beside this door...so I will probably start it tomorrow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shop door finished

o
RE: Shop door WIP-update

At last, I put the last piece in about noon and have been waiting for the silly cone to set up so I could stand this up for a pic. I hope to grout in a day or two. I'm think lt grey or white for the mirror and charcoal for the tile part. Any suggestions?Mermaid, I wish I could send you some inspiration. I am like Slow and can't sleep many hours due to ideas running around in my head. I am going to do a concrete block stand to go beside this door...so I will probably start it tomorrow.

Here is a link that might be useful: FINISHED

o

Well, that's sure bright blingy fun, Flag. It'll be great to see it grouted and hung. By the way, I saw the birdhouse in the set of pictures too. How fun to see the California slate on that roof! Woo Hoo!

o

After wiping up the big drool puddle I've made, all I can say is WOW!! Did you coat the back of the mirror with that black sealer stuff? Again, just amazing.

o

Just gorgeous, FLAG: Boy, I envy those grout lines - almost nil. Doncha think dark grout w/show up better in the mirror instead of white?

o

Gib- I didn't coat the mirror just used it as is. I even spent a while looking for mirror adhesive and then went to my local glass & mirror store and they told me it didn't matter what I used, all mirror would start breaking down in 10 years or so..So, I used GEII for all of it and no problems..we'll see. He told me not to spend the xtra $ on Mirror adhesive...
Slow, I can't decide if I want the mirror to blend togenter such as w/white or stand out as with charcoal. I will probably use charcoal for all of it and be done with it.

o

Wowzer, the most gorgeous door I've ever, ever seen!!!! It's so happy!!!!

o

WOW!!! you did good ! I have been working on mosaic ing my yard and have not bn in here much .So much lovly work.

o

Well, NANA, is that nice to tease us like that????? You better get in here and show us some of your stuff you've been working on. Have missed you.

o

OH FLAG!!!! WOW!!! That's some door!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here