Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flagtruck

Shop door WIP

flagtruck
14 years ago

Here's what I accomplished today on the door. I am going to let the turquoise frame the colors and all of the beige background will be done in 1/8" mirror. I hit two yard sales this weekend and found 5 big mirrors from bathroom remodels, so now I have an abundance of mirrors. I cut up one I found a couple weeks ago in the glass company's dumpster, it was 4' x 6' and I got a lot of pieces out of it. I can't wait to see this guy finished and rehung. More pics later.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shop door

Comments (30)

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

Oh so nice!!!!! Really nice colors. It will be amazing. What kind of glue/thin set do you use on a verticle surface?

susie

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Susie - I am using GEII on the ceramic tiles and I will use Liquid Nails for Mirror on the rest. I took the door down and am working on it in a horizontal position, but Slow did her's vertically so she can tell you more than I can. I am sure she will jump in here soon.

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Hot diggedy dawg!!!!!!!!!! This is gorgeous, and I can just picture the mirror covering the rest. Woooooooohoooooooo. I love how your tess fits so perfectly - just like a puzzle. SUSIE: I used thinset - Mapei Ultraflex II, as I do on all outside projects. It sticks so well, you just slap it on and bam - it's done.

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

Oh way too cool!!! Love the colors...Yeah thinset is the way to go...I used thinset on my BR vanity panles (agates& rocks)...they were vertical, just have to make sure you have the thinset thick enough...holds great if you do...great job....love the way Slow says bam-it's done LOL>>>> later, Cathy

• katishooked
    14 years ago

Flag, what a gorgeous piece this will be when done. Love your choice of colors. A show stopper to be sure. Don't dawdle ok?

Kat

• aka_strawberrygoat
    14 years ago

it's a beauty-full idea....

I think I especially like it, too, for an inside bathroom door, here at the house.

• daisyme
    14 years ago

The colors and placement are so artful, Flag. This is going to look wonderful.

• nicethyme
    14 years ago

Gorgeous Flag!

• nanatricia
    14 years ago

Yes that is going to look great!!!

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

GORGEOUS!!!

• klinger
    14 years ago

Wow this door is going to look over the top. I love those bright colors, they really make me think of fiesta ware. The mirrors are really going to make it blingie,
    cindy

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks all of you. Cindy, my whole kitchen is Fiesta Ware so is my backsplash in the kitchen. I love the bright colors and am making more tile as we speak. Got to keep plenty of those colors around.

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is the progress to date on this door. Maybe I will finish tomorrow..

Here is a link that might be useful: Shop door

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I might have some mirror left over for Slow's Great Wall. I bet she will take all my leftovers? LOL

• texaswild
    14 years ago

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I knew it'd be spectacular, but THIS IS SUPER SPECTACULAR. I'm sure you've finished, and have it half grouted by now. I had no time to check in yesterday. This is so gorgeous, FLAG. Why would you give mirror away? Don't you use it in lots of your work. Of course, I'll take anything I'm given w/appreciation.

• klinger
    14 years ago

Wow, it's really looking blingie with all that mirror. I really love the colors with the mirror surround. So frustrating with the slow drying silicone isn't it? I know this will be done shortly though.
    Cindy

• daisyme
    14 years ago

Ah! Here it is! Thanks for sending me your update by email, Flag. It's so hard to know when new pictures have been added on this forum. The shop door is incredible and will be so bright and happy looking when it's installed. You didn't tell us if you're hanging it with piano hinges. That's bound to be heavy. Great project!

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

Flag your door is BEAUTIFULLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!! Great colors, love the mirror.....WOOOWWWW!!!

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No Slow it isn;t finished yet. I still lack about 6" right down the middle towards the bottom of the door. A lot of leaning and standing so I am going slower than I would like. The grouting will still have to wait a few days until all the sillycone sits up. It sure takes a long time. No Gail, I am not using piano hinges, just the ones I have on there, I will use a little longer screws in the frame side. This door is not used much as I also have an overhead door to the shop, so once finished I will leave it closed and locked. This guy is heavy, my handyman and I turned it around this morning and I don't want to try this by myself.
    Thanks Cathy and Cindy too, I sure like bling..maybe when the sun hits it it will glare on the neighbor on the South side of me that I don't care for..lol
    I was only ribbing you about the size of your wall Slow, I will surely save you some leftovers if you need them..

• Mermaid
    14 years ago

AWESOME shop door!! Just love that bling!!! as to that gorgeous turq color really blending with the ceramic tile. How cool that you can make your own tile!!! One of these years I am going to take a class in using a kiln. !!

Great job, can you send over a little inspiration for me??, I am deep down in a creative chasm

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    14 years ago

At last, I put the last piece in about noon and have been waiting for the silly cone to set up so I could stand this up for a pic. I hope to grout in a day or two. I'm think lt grey or white for the mirror and charcoal for the tile part. Any suggestions?Mermaid, I wish I could send you some inspiration. I am like Slow and can't sleep many hours due to ideas running around in my head. I am going to do a concrete block stand to go beside this door...so I will probably start it tomorrow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shop door finished

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    14 years ago

At last, I put the last piece in about noon and have been waiting for the silly cone to set up so I could stand this up for a pic. I hope to grout in a day or two. I'm think lt grey or white for the mirror and charcoal for the tile part. Any suggestions?Mermaid, I wish I could send you some inspiration. I am like Slow and can't sleep many hours due to ideas running around in my head. I am going to do a concrete block stand to go beside this door...so I will probably start it tomorrow.

Here is a link that might be useful: FINISHED

• daisyme
    14 years ago

Well, that's sure bright blingy fun, Flag. It'll be great to see it grouted and hung. By the way, I saw the birdhouse in the set of pictures too. How fun to see the California slate on that roof! Woo Hoo!

• gibsona
    14 years ago

After wiping up the big drool puddle I've made, all I can say is WOW!! Did you coat the back of the mirror with that black sealer stuff? Again, just amazing.

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Just gorgeous, FLAG: Boy, I envy those grout lines - almost nil. Doncha think dark grout w/show up better in the mirror instead of white?

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gib- I didn't coat the mirror just used it as is. I even spent a while looking for mirror adhesive and then went to my local glass & mirror store and they told me it didn't matter what I used, all mirror would start breaking down in 10 years or so..So, I used GEII for all of it and no problems..we'll see. He told me not to spend the xtra $ on Mirror adhesive...
    Slow, I can't decide if I want the mirror to blend togenter such as w/white or stand out as with charcoal. I will probably use charcoal for all of it and be done with it.

• emtnest
    14 years ago

Wowzer, the most gorgeous door I've ever, ever seen!!!! It's so happy!!!!

• nanatricia
    14 years ago

WOW!!! you did good ! I have been working on mosaic ing my yard and have not bn in here much .So much lovly work.

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Well, NANA, is that nice to tease us like that????? You better get in here and show us some of your stuff you've been working on. Have missed you.

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

OH FLAG!!!! WOW!!! That's some door!!!!

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz