Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What adhesive to use on wooden piano substrate?

Posted by concretenprimroses (My Page) on
Sat, May 19, 12 at 19:22

An artist friend is taking part in one of those community piano projects where pianos are decorated then put outside where people can just wander up and play them. The theme she chose is the blues, and she wants to mosaic the Mississippi river on one side of the piano, and our local Connecticut river on the other. I've been tumbling dish shards (thanks again Calamity)because it has to be "touchable" clearly.
Should we use thinset on a wood piano? (It will be demolished after the "show" is over.) My concern is the stuff staying on. She also passed out a bunch of thin tiles of composite wood to people to decorate in the blues theme to attach to the back like a quilt. (I have 6 that I am decorating, 4 done.) So what do you think we should attach them to the piano with? The sponsors are supplying a heavy duty clear coat of something to paint over the whole thing when done. I'm assuming they did their research and it will work.
But how to attach?
TIA
Kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What adhesive to use on wooden piano substrate?

I don't understand the "demolished after the show is over". Seems a whole lot of work to be demolished. I've used thinset for adhesive on wood, but you could also use silicon - GEII.

o
RE: What adhesive to use on wooden piano substrate?

I know. It is a lot of work, but we are doing it fast and furious without using long lasting materials. For the river, I am using mostly dishes that I had rejected for my mosaic project (too porous) but that I think will last a month outside in summer. The "tiles" for the back I am mostly painting and gluing on objects. Its kind of like the beautiful sand paintings the buddhists make then destroy. or the gorgeous chalk paintings in amsterdam and other european cities that only last until the next rain. My friend is hoping to get some of the innards to use in future projects when they are demolished.
Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here