Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texaswild

Last Fountain Surround Extension

texaswild
12 years ago

Yard man helped put this up and we mortared it -all in less than three hrs. Blank canvas awaits inspiration for design. CALAM: Betcha it'll be ready for your favorite part by the time you get here.

Fountain Surround Last Extension"

Comments (36)

• wackyweeder
    12 years ago

That shape is soo cool!

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

WOW! LOVE it! That lantern is gonna look sooo cool hanging from that!!!

• shrillmtb
    12 years ago

Wonderful shape! It never ceases to amaze me how fast you get things done. Looking forward to seeing the finished pictures!

• loribee2
    12 years ago

WOW you most definitely aren't intimidated by scale, are you? I'm so impressed. I had no idea you were working on this. What is it you mortared? Hardware cloth? Did you simply attach it to the fence, or is it sitting on some sort of foundation? Do you have to worry about weather (i.e. high winds) with such a thing?

Inquiring minds are dying to know how you do this! LOL

And I LOVELOVELOVE the photo of you on Cleo. That is adorable!

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

That is so amazing. Its huge! I wouldn't have thought it was possible! Can't wait to see hwat you and Calamity do with it.
    And Cleo! What a beauty. She turned out such a lovely dark color. Did you add color to the mortar mix? The mosaic designs are great. Those lips are perfect. Love the pic of you demonstrating that she really is a bench.
    Kathy

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

'morning y'all. Thanks for looking. CALAM: I'm thinking I made the lantern a bit too large to hang there, so it'll go some place else. I just added two new standing lanterns to the patio - flanking my settee. The patio is now as busily decorated as the house. LORI: This one is w/diamond lath - I use hardware cloth only for small things. Juan put down several rebar stakes, but I'm afraid I didn't buy large enough rebar, so he'll have to now put down a couple large stakes from behind, and I'll wire them to the structure - simple matter. So far the high winds hasn't budged the existing surround. Once this stuff is mosaiced, it's pretty solid. CONCRETE: The grout on Cleo is a mixture of black and Pearl Gray, and I spray varnished it when it was dried. Thanks again, y'all.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Day two mo. Got spirals??? Wish I could do them perfectly. The tear drop shapes are to cover the rebar. Still have two rebar stakes to cover - might be a heart, cross or castle tower. Any suggestions welcomed.
    Mo day 2

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Love that red! Lookin' Good!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mosaicing parts of four days - dodged the rain and a tornado watch today. Using a lot of scraps and junk in an effort to clean out the garage stash.
    Mo Day 4

• nanatricia
    12 years ago

I am so loving this !!!

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

I just love the black and white border, and the swirl theme! Love the color choices and that you get to use dishes/tiles! YOU SAVE THE GROUTING FOR ME!!! heh heh!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, CALAM: You soooooooooooooooo w/have that job. It w/only take you oh, probably an hr/hr/half. It's been very difficult to get this far - can only apply a few tiles a day - resting my back often during the day. This w/be my last piece working on the ground. If I can't build it on my work table, it won't be done.

• loribee2
    12 years ago

Grrr, I've been trying to look at the new pics all morning, but Photobucket is grumpy.....

• loribee2
    12 years ago

Yay, finally in and WOWOWOW!! I hadn't seen it since you added the droplets. That is such a pretty touch. And your mosaic work is amazing. I would never know where to start on such a big project. I love how you continued your black/white pattern along the edge. LOVE the plates left whole. Oh, how I wish I could walk up and touch it and check it out up close! It's absolutely breathtaking!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much, LORI: Y'all's comments make my heart sing. Re large projects, after building garden sculptures, I have trouble on small things now. Just had to stop for the day. Hope to finish tomorrow. However, I have a student on the technique tomorrow, so w/be teaching her to mosaic on her head planter, and won't have much time to devote to this. Re the droplets, my first impression of the structure was "giant wave", which I didn't want, but added "water droplets". I don't know how to "paint w/mosaic", thus w/NOT know where to begin on making it look like a wave. The droplets serve to hide the rebar stakes. Still pondering what to put on the remaining three stakes that show. Any suggestions? Y'all know how partial I am to hearts and crosses. If I knew how to make angels, I'd maybe try that. We'll see.
    Day 6

• loribee2
    12 years ago

Boy, that really is turning out beautifully! I can't see the other rebar stakes you're referring to. Is that one on the right of the structure? Maybe a smaller wave going in the other direction?

And this whole thing is supported strictly by rebar stakes driven into the ground? You don't set them in concrete footings or anything? I'm asking because ironically, I've put up a post on the garden junk forum about how to stake up my very top-heavy flower. Didn't occur to me I've got experts right here (though you hang on Garden Junk too right?)

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again, LORI. Hardly ever go to the junk side - only occasionally. The heavy duty rebar we used is No. 6, and Juan put it down two/three feet, and we used wire to tie the lath to it. On the other two sections, the tall planters helped as anchors, but since I didn't put a planter on this section, I put down four stakes, very deeply. I'll have to go check out your post on the junk side.

• nanatricia
    12 years ago

I am loving this so much!!! If i did not live so far a way I would come cut them off for you with my grinder.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, NANA - that's so sweet of you: Juan can cut them off w/a hack saw, or he could have hammered them into the ground deeper, but I left them tall on purpose. I wanted to add a few whimsical pieces - just haven't decided what yet.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK JaneyBo: It's ready for you. Pics show a portion of the area - wish I could capture the ambience of my favorite room, especially w/all the candles ablaze. Need to dwell on the last three little places to cover rebar, but NOT TODAY.
    Ready for grout

• nanatricia
    12 years ago

Girl you are just so dang fast but I sure do love it!!!!!

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

WOW!!! DONE!!! It is an AWESOME Job, Slow! I just can't believe I am gonna be there soon and get to grout to my hearts content!ha! And then sit back in margville and enjoy!heh heh! Save a virgin one for me!!!ha!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's hard for me to believe it too, CALAM. I'm working on our itinerary, and hope to fill all our time together w/fun things to do. I'm gonna try to grout the upper part. Had planned to start this morn, but there's a 40% chance of rain - severe weather waltzing through our area lately. I don't understand how ANYONE loves to grout - I hate it, but am gonna make an effort. I figured out what to put on the tallest rebar stake - picture when mortared.

• klinger
    12 years ago

Wow, this sure has come together. I love everything about it. You sure did mosaic it quickly. It looks wonderful in your yard.
    cindy

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, KLINGER: It was fun. Gonna try to do a little grouting today so Jane won't have so much of it to do, and can just do the ground work.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Slow, I would love to spend a whole week grout!! Make more projects!lol! I am too busy working and doing gardening projects to even start my planters and other ideas, or play with my new(to me) cement mixer. 19 more sleeps till I get to go to Texas!!!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Finally finished and planted. All it lacks is the signatures in that blank plate. W/get to that soon. Thanks again, CALAM, for helping grout. Seems so long ago that you were here.
    Finished except signatures

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Yippee, wow, bravo! You're finished and it looks soooo good!

Just fantastic, what a fun thing in your yard. Every piece looks so beautifully done, the butterfly, flowers, everything.
    Just love it.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Oh Slow!!! It is such a masterpc!!!! A 30ft Masterpc!!! That Butterfly looks great there! And I LOVE the plantings and border! Good Job! Now it just needs solar lights!heh heh!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

CALAM: I might set some up in the fall when it's cool enough to sit out there every night again. Haven't had much opportunities lately - the heat just won't let up. Thanks, y'all. I now feel the fountain surround is complete.

• oldcrafty
    12 years ago

My gosh....I don;t know how you do it....especially in this heat. It is beyond awesome. Would love to see it in person.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Don't know where you live, but you're welcome to come for a visit. CALAM stayed a week, and I w/LOVE to have her stay longer. I have comfortable guest quarters. Come and we'll make something together, and I'll teach you the technique. That'll get you "outside and busy". I had cataract surgery this morn., and it is frustrating to have to take time off for it. Re the heat, like I said b/f, once I'm outside and working, I get used to it. I take the hose, wet myself down now and then, but the excitement keeps me from dwelling on the uncomfortable part. I get used to the heat, working out every day.

• nanatricia
    12 years ago

That turned out great love it!!!I am getting back in the mood .

• nicethyme
    12 years ago

Amazing... you are my inspiration Slow! .. this is gorgeous and your decisions on hiding the rebar rather than cut it, really added to the interest! and in this heat!

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Amazing, fantabulous. I adore the butterfly. New words of awe need to be invented.
    Kathy

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I bow in humble thanks.