Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Glass Bandsaw

Posted by becky_ia (My Page) on
Sun, May 18, 08 at 18:47

Been thinking of purchasing a glass bandsaw. I guess I don't need one with all the bells & whistles, but one moderately priced. Does anyone have any recommendations/suggestions?

Becky

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Glass Bandsaw

I have the Taurus 3 Ringsaw and am quite happy with it! What I like about it is because it is a ring saw, I can cut at all angles, not just go straight ahead. I've even cut 1/2inch thick marble with it. It's def the cat's meow...

o

I too have a Taurus 3 ringsaw and it has been a good one - - I have had it for about 3 years and have cut glass, pottery, porcelain, and even thick floor tiles (going very slowly). Still have not had to change the blade.

o

I know there are BAND saws, as well as the Taurus, but it's been a long time since I checked them out. Didja Google your subject? I think I did once, when I was looking for a saw w/a large throat. I finally experimented w/my tile wet saw and discovered the wonderful things it does other than just cut tile. Recently cut the stems off wine glasses. W/try some bottles when time permits. CALAM has already done that. I use the Taurus for glass only, and the tile saw for hard stuff, like $store plates.

o

Thanks so much for the suggestions. Sounds like a Taurus is what I should get. I see it comes with an instructional DVD. I started a project that I will need to use it for right away. How hard is it to learn how to use? Will I need to have any special training?

o

No. As I recall, I filled it up to the water line and started sawing. Mine didn't come with instructions. If you are usisng it inside, you should place a large towel under it so that water spray doesn't get on your work surface.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here