Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sealing a leaky mosaic birdbath

Posted by carolsewzit (My Page) on
Tue, May 11, 10 at 18:44

Is it safe to seal the inside of a birdbath with silicone caulk? If not what is safe to use for the birds.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sealing a leaky mosaic birdbath

Hey Carol! What is your birdbath made of? plastic/resin/concrete....

o

Good question from CALAM. If it's concrete, I'm surprised it's leaking, cuz I found that my new concrete birdbath self-sealed after a few weeks. If plastic, then the silicon w/work. Is it a small leak or an all-over leak?

o

Its made of ceramic tile and grout. I've had it 5 years and the grout is coming off in spots and causing it to leak. The problem is that I already coated the whole inside with the silicone...its defiantly waterproof now,but my concern is about the silicone being toxic to the birds that drink from it.It's completely dry now but I'm afraid to fill it without knowing if it's safe. I realize I should have posted before I did the procedure, but its done now, so I guess I just wanted to see if anyone knows if it would be safe. Its so beautiful but I cant use it if I'm not sure. Guess I would have to put plants in it if nothing else and buy a new birdbath.

o

I sealed the top of an urn with silicone, let it cure for 48 hours and started the water. The birds were in it all of the time. I don't believe you will have any problems if you let is cure before adding water. Go for it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here