Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mosaic stained glass

Posted by kortni_slover87 (My Page) on
Sun, May 12, 13 at 18:02

Is mosaic stained glass kiln safe? I recently bought some stained glass and have searched all over the Internet and all I find is ebay and amazon trying to sell the tiles. I also have sea glass. Is any kind of glass kiln safe? I have a microwaveable kiln and I'm terrified to blow up my microwave.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mosaic stained glass

I am not an authority by any means. From what I understand, stained glass is the type of glass used to fuse glass in a kiln. The only warning I've heard from the fused glass studio where I took classes is that, when you are fusing two different pieces of stained glass together, they should be the same COE. So if you are planning to fire your glass in a kiln, you wouldn't try to fuse a piece of Bullseye (90 COE) to a piece of Spectrum (96 COE). It's called "compatibility." COE means Coefficient of Expansion. So, short answer, it should be okay to put your glass in a kiln. You might want to do some more research; try "warm glass" in Google search.

o
RE: Mosaic stained glass

Regular stained glass is not designed or tested for fusing. The colors may not be stable at fusing temps and it can be prone to devitrification.

Silvamae touched on the COE issue. The problem is you have no idea what the COE for non fusible stained glass is, so you should only fuse glass together from the very same sheet.

I have never used a microwave kiln, but I don't think the glass you use will have any effect on your microwave. Make sure you carefully follow the instructions that came with it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here