Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mosaic grout color: Can I change it after it's dry?

Posted by Lindajm617 (My Page) on
Sat, May 28, 11 at 17:59

I made a tray by using glass tiles (that I cut) on wood. I first used white grout, but it was too light. So I made another batch of grout (weeks later) coloring it with some tea and red food coloring. I smeared it on top of the white grout and it came out too too red/pink!!!
What can I do to make it lighter? I even tried regrouting with the white but it just went back to pink!!
Should I paint it with acrylic paint? Bleach it? Any advise is greatly appreciated. The lovely tiles are mainly pink and they are disappearing within the pink grout!
HELP! Many thanks, Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mosaic grout color: Can I change it after it's dry?

You could try spritzing it w/bleach and scrub w/a soft brush. If that doesn't work, try again w/another grout color. How about pearl gray - it's a wonderful neutral that shows the tess rather than make the grout noticeable.

o
RE: Mosaic grout color: Can I change it after it's dry?

I think gray is nice with pink.
Just for your future projects: do you know about putting some dry grout on a small area of your piece to get a sense of how that grout color will look? its a bit messy but can save a piece from being grouted the wrong color.
Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here