Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loribee2

Lordy! A Year In the Making But Mr. Sea Is Done!!

loribee2
11 years ago

Sorry for being absent for so long, but I had to pop in and show you the final product. I just finished him today...finally...almost a year to the day after I started:

Soooo glad this project is done. I've got so many others piled up after him, all smaller and easier. I don't know that I care to do another sculpture that is this time-consuming, but I definitely will enjoy him now! I'm planning on entering him in our county fair's art exhibition. Maybe I'll win a ribbon, heh!

Here is a link that might be useful: Blog post showing his progression from start to finish

Comments (23)

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

Lord of the Sea!!! WOW! The pics surely do not do justice to him!!! All that irridecent glass on him...zowie! It may have taken a year but the hardest part>the beginning> you whipped up! So nice to sea...er, see him done!

• loribee2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you! Yes, you have all been extremely patient ;-). He took longer than he had to because I work on him in a shop that isn't heated. So winter when it's cold, he didn't get touched much.

I did cheat with him, though. The irridescent tile is sooo expensive, I only spotted it around his scales. He is mostly plain old vitreous. OHHH what a pain though! It literally took two days just to do his mouth. Working in those tight spaces, upside down. I am seriously going to consider that on future sculptures, as I don't ever want to have to do that again, LOL

Here is a warning to the newbies on this board, though: Ladies and gents, I came to this forum just making some stepping stones. It's entirely thanks to the amazing artists on this forum that I've ended up making something like this. SLOW and CALAM have a way of making you think you can do anything!! And they are always here if you get stuck. Such a blessing to have you both.

And now that I can stop and relax for a bit, I'm going to start pouring through this thread to see what you all have been working on.

• ernie85017, zn 9, phx
    11 years ago

YAAAY! MR Sea! I have been wondering about him!

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    11 years ago

Wow, Loribee, that is unbelievably fantastic!!!! It's just gorgeous!!! It should win First Place in any contest you enter it in!!!

You have a wonderful talent there!! I will take some major inspiration from this.

Thanks for posting the pics.

• nanatricia
    11 years ago

Girl that turned out so GREAT!!!!!! I just love it.

• deannad
    11 years ago

Love him. Amazing job!!!

• loribee2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! I am very pleased with the result. I can't wait to do more sculptures. I'd love to try polishing the concrete instead of mosaic, and may give that technique a try. But right now, I've got butterflies, flowers, stepping stones, a bird bath, and two garden walls to do. (When I said I've got other projects lined up, I wasn't kidding, LOL)

• texaswild
    11 years ago

What a truly fabulous job of sculpting and mosaicing. I know you must be soooooo proud of this piece. I've wondered many times if you were ever gonna finish it and show us. Congratulations on a perfect project. The smoothness of the piece b/f you mosaiced it was outstanding, hence making your whole tiling job a lot easier. When you said "garden walls" - hmmmmmmmm - sure w/love to know where you're going w/that. Anxious to see your next projects. Be sure and keep us informed.

• silvamae
    11 years ago

Wow, he is so regal. What a beauty! Isn't the mosaic process wonderful -- we never stop learning; each project teaches us something new. I love him.

• toomuchglass
    11 years ago

I'm speechless !!!!! How awesome ...

• loribee2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, everyone! I am very proud, though tired. He was a big job. I'm looking forward to some small quickie projects as a change of pace. Suits my instant gratification personality a bit more, LOL

SLOW, I'm actually building a raised garden bed along our back wall for the purpose of having a spot where I can display Mr. Sea. You can see it from all the back windows in our house and it's right along our patio where we do all our entertaining. I honestly don't know why the previous owners never raised this bed.

Here is a photo of my plan. I just used my Photoshop skills to plan out what it will look like. This wall technically doesn't exist yet (it literally is about 10 bricks that I've photoshopped into an entire wall). But I'm going for something subtle that I can dress up a bit without expending too much time and money. Not knowing how long we'll live in this house, I don't want to invest too much in anything I can't take with me. I also don't want the wall to compete with the yard art that will ultimately be dispersed among the plants. So this is the rough sketch of what it will look like:

• concretenprimroses
    11 years ago

Mr Sea is sensational! Hey a year is not so long for me to finish projects. Love the wall too.
    Kathy

• texaswild
    11 years ago

Ooooooooo - what a nice idea, LORI: The wall w/be wonderful. I'm so hung up on water features, I can just imagine a little trickling sounds of water in that raised bed near Mr. Sea.

• loribee2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We would love a pond or fountain. There's a fairly busy road on that wall behind us, and water would be the perfect soother to numb the traffic.

• chinatreasures
    11 years ago

I love Mr. Sea! You did a fantastic job and I'm going back to read your blog posts. Can't wait to see what you do with that wall!

• ItsmeChickadee
    11 years ago

Wow, I love him! Your craftsmanship is amazing. You should be very proud!
    Becky

• loribee2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you! Your compliments really mean a lot, coming from such wonderful artists!

• fldirt
    11 years ago

WOW wow wow! He turned out wonderful & I love the wall you are planning to build. Very talented people on this site....

• lascatx
    11 years ago

I haven't popped in on this forum but once or twice in that year, so your timing worked great for me. LOL I loved him then and love him even more now. I think it is entirely fitting that you give him a stage and the wall will be so much fun too. Kudos!

• loribee2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, friends! LOL, I love the idea that I'm giving him a stage. I definitely am!

• SadieSadie
    11 years ago

WOW!! This is absolutely beautiful.

• rock_oak_deer
    11 years ago

Mr. Sea turned out beautifully!

• tussiemussies
    11 years ago

Beautiful piece of art!

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews