Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rock_oak_deer

Newbie with questions

rock_oak_deer
13 years ago

Hi all, I just found this forum through the Garden Junk forum. I've enjoyed reading your posts and see there are some experts here who might help. I've read some on the posts on mosaics with plates, but still have some questions about my project.

I would like to mosaic these plates onto a concrete stepping stone:

Here's the back:

Since these are the only three of these I have, I want to approach this carefully. The question is that these are thicker pottery than the usual instructions and I want to be able to control the breaking so that the ivy design still looks good and the round edge still is usable. Are there any tips to help with this? What will happen to the curved up edge when I try to break them? What should I use on the plates? I read some posts about nippers, but they looked like they might not work for this type plate. Anyone use a tile saw on a plate?

Will this even work at all?

I've done some tile projects and even one plate mosaic on a clay pot that turned out to be too small but a good experience anyway. I would love to hear some ideas from the group here.

TIA

Comments (5)

• silvamae
    13 years ago

It's good that you have three plates and only want to do one stepping stone. The link below has some good instructions on nipping plates. I would use wheeled nippers (Lipponet brand) that you can buy at stained glass stores or on line.

Here is a link that might be useful: Happycraftn's instructions on plate nipping

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

I use nippers and also my tile saw...I also have a stained glass saw that I use, just depends on the project for me...those plates look fine, just watch out for plates that are ceramic, as they chip when frozen, but porceline works good.

• wackyweeder
    13 years ago

Lots of people use tile saws on plates, I dont have any experience there, but they do it. Have you ever nipped other plates before? It would be helpful to practice and then you will have a feel for what you are doing first.

• texaswild
    13 years ago

Have saws, have used and love how they work, but I first learned to nip the plates by HappyCraftin's instructions, using the wheeled nippers. SILVA posted the perfect site to answer your nipping question. Of course, they'll work. If you're worried about too much texture caused by the curved pieces, you can nip your pieces small, and sometimes I use the curved side up (back of the plate). Some of us also use the footers on the plates. IMO, you want some texture on your strpping stones to avoid slipping. Your plate design w/look just fine, even if they are broken up and put back together - it's a mosaic, and IMO, should look sorta like a puzzle.

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all your great help and input. I had read the excellent Happycraftn instructions, but wasn't sure it would work on thicker pottery. I learned from my one and only plate mosaic project that just smashing them isn't the look I want for this project.

So with your advice I have a plan. Acquire the wheeled nippers and practice on other stuff until I have projects that I would actually display before tackling the special plates.

Love the puzzle idea along with the upside down rim and will work with those when I get there. Using the foot pieces is a great idea to keep the plate look going. Also will probably add bits of glass and tile to the mix as it would look very plain otherwise.

There are a lot of great inspiration pieces posted here, so I'll be back for more ideas and help as this progresses.