Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluestarrgallery

Rice Mosaic ???

bluestarrgallery
15 years ago

Anybody ever hear of rice mosaic? When I was a kid I used to make them. Somehow the rice was colored or dyed (maybe with easter egg dye - can't remember now). Next the outline is drawn on wood or cardboard. Then the rice is glued down, setting each grain of rice down with a tweezers or by hand one at a time (patience is a virtue) - I remember I made a rice rooster once - wish I still had him.

Comments (16)

• meadel
    15 years ago

Interesting..
    I did a quick google and found the link ( below)..

( scary/funny.. I found a pic of Condoleezza Rice in front of a mosaic ! Won't share that though...Lol)

Here is a link that might be useful: Rice mosaic

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Interesting! I remember someone doing eggshell mosaics here too!I now remember doing pasta art at school!!! Fun!

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    15 years ago

meadel, thanks for the link, the suggestion of coating with varnish noted in the link is a good idea. I think rice would fall off easily since only a small portion of the rice is touching when it is glued.

calamity j, yeah pasta and somewhere I have seen different colored beans used in a mosaic too. But eggshells? I just can't picture that, art comes in many forms.

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

you know what? We ALL learned to mosaic with some form of starch-product when we were kids. My kid made me a gold noodle-tree when he was in kindy-garden...
    I like the rice idea, but too small for me...I might reconsider the noodles, though! :)

Here's a link that might be what you're looking for:

Here is a link that might be useful: Linky Poo

• hrsg
    15 years ago

Eggshell mosaics can be stunning.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eggshell Mosaics

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

What a dope...sorry about that; I totally didn't see the link meadel posted...(just ignore me)

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Wow, those eggshell mosaics are amazing! Thanks for the link, HRSG!

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hrsg, thanks for the link, beautiful eggshell mosaic, but I still don't see how the eggshells are used. Are they crushed up like you do when you are peeling a hard boiled egg and then glued down in mass or in a group? Not that I am planning on doing one anytime soon or anything.

• theeggshelllady
    15 years ago

I've been doing eggshell mosaics for years. You don't hard boil the eggs, just crack them and clean them. You must peel out the membrane. Then paint the eggshells. I use acrylics and break off the painted pieces and use as little tiles. I use Modpodge to glue them on, then seal your completed piece with minwax polycrylic - no need to grout!

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Eggshelllady, would you post a picture? We'd love to see! We saw wonderful eggshell mosaics in Vietnam. Here's one we loved. My DH and I thought the women were really lovely in their native dress, the ho-dai.

• texaswild
    15 years ago

DAISEY: Do you mean this is an egg shell mosaic? Background too? Unbelievable. EGGSHELL - please let us see some of your pictures. I've seen this done on a small scale waaaay back on one of the craft shows, but that's all. W/love to see more. Post up, please.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

WOW!! Eggshell Lady!!! Got pics? Oh and WELCOME to the Forum!!!

• theeggshelllady
    15 years ago

Yes, I have pictures, not quite as amazing at the one posted by Daisyme. But I think they are pretty cool. I am having a little trouble uploading. I'm new at this so be patient. I'll try again tomorrow.

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Every bit of that picture (including the background) is mosaiced from thousands of tiny bits of eggshell. We were amazed. That's the only picture we got unfortuneately. I wish it was closer so you could see.

• curbdiver1954
    15 years ago

Stunned speechless here....what a beautiful picture the artist made! It even seems to sway as she walks along....no talent like that here, just the ability to appreciate beautiful work...

Pat

• theeggshelllady
    15 years ago

Hi, This eggshell mosiac from Vietnam is unbelievable. The detail is amazing. I am truly inspired! I have a picture of one of mine on the test gallery. I'm still learning about uploading.

Sponsored