Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Venetian Glass Tile

Posted by kittyjhg (My Page) on
Sun, May 4, 08 at 16:52

New to this so... here's the question- Want to mosaic wood tabletop and saw venetian glass tiles. I want opaque look, so how would that look? Am going to also mix with some diamond shaped that is the regular kind of glass from Mosaic Tile Mania. I like to take the diamond shapes and make flowers with them. Have to buy mine precut 'cos have "arthur hands" and I'd probably cut my fingers off if I tried to cut my own! LOL
Jeanette from Mississippi
P.S. If any of you have used venetian glass would love to see your pics.
forum photo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Venetian Glass Tile

I used to love working with vitreous (venetian) tiles (mostly 3/4"). Here is my Flickr link - the first 3 projects are mosaiced totally in vit. Stained glass is sometimes thinner than vit so you may have to build it up so it is level for a table top.

http://flickr.com/photos/88594345@N00/

o
Wood table...........

OK - so I posted without thoroughly reading your post - "wood table". Hopefully this will be used indoors only! Wood just isn't mosaic-friendly! Yes, you can use marine ply (5 ply thick) but wood on the verticle isn't good for a mosaic. If you still want to use this (for indoors), you will need to score and seal the wood before mosaicing (slap me if you already knew this - ;) - I like to use Kilz (water-based).
Jane

o

EEK, no, Platebreaker, I was going to use it under a covered patio. Actually, it's really a chair minus the back that I "dumpster-dived". It's very thick since it was a chair. I just really wanted to make something nice out of something that no one wanted. I kind of felt sorry for it, all alone it the garbage. LOL I was going to paint the legs a very bright color. Maybe, I should just sand it off and just paint it instead. Jeanette

o

Wood absorbs moisture ...causing your tiles to pop off. No matter how much you seal it ( just takes longer sometimes)

There is a height difference between vit. tiles and stained glass, so that can be an issue, too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here