Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
segrieb

Art Deco House Sign for a 1921 Lake Cottage

segrieb
9 years ago

Art Deco House Sign for a 1921 Lake Cottage
May 2014

I finally finished! Whew! This is my 1st exterior mosaic. This project was so much fun, but my fingertips are a mess; they need to heal before I can start my next glass project! This is an original design.

For the house sign, I used art glass, glass bevels, ball chain & metal house numbers (mounted on nylon spacers). I cut the art glass pieces to size; applied them all to Wediboard (pronounced "weedy board") using thin set; and then grouted & sealed the mosaicked surface & sides. This design is Art Deco, and the roses (white, textured art glass surrounded by smooth-surfaced white art glass) are Mackintosh Roses, an Art Nouveau style (1890-1910) that preceded the Art Deco era (1920s - 1940s).

A special THANK YOU to "calamity_j" on gardenweb.com for help with the hanging method on the Wediboard. Your idea was soooo much better than mine!

I LOVE MOSAICS!

Comments (16)

• segrieb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is a close-up of the house sign.

• segrieb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Work in progress.

• silvamae
    9 years ago

That is super gorgeous.

• oldcrafty
    9 years ago

STUNNING!!!!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

Lovely!

• brokenbitmosaics
    9 years ago

It's a fantastic design and I love the detail that you put into it.

Very nice.

• meadel
    9 years ago

A m a z I n g !
    My favorite !!

• concretenprimroses
    9 years ago

That is gorgeous!
    Love the white background and how the numbers hover over
    Kathy

• fldirt
    9 years ago

That is stunning!

• loribee2
    9 years ago

Wow, this is really, really beautiful. You do amazing work.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous!

• barbfrizzell1955
    9 years ago

I agree with concretenprimroses and this is just so pretty!

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Just gorgeous! How did you attach your house numbers? Did you set the nylon spacers, then attach the the numbers once your finished the mosaic underneath? It also looks like your covered the edges of the plaque with blue glass? Very clever. My goodness, this is just fantastic. And what was calamity_j's suggestion for mounting? All my newbie questions, so sorry, but goodness, I'd so like to put this on my mosaics bucket list one day.

Patty S.

• segrieb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello, Patty/hoosierquilt!

Find the posting on gardenweb.com (it is on Page 2 of the Messages): âÂÂIâÂÂm Back!!! With Photos!!â by calamityj. Click on her posting, and scroll down her comments & replies, and look for my posting (segrieb) on March 12, 2014. CalamityjâÂÂs reply follows on March 13, 2014

This will explain how she hung her mosaic cross.

To answer your question about the house numbersâ¦
    I used 1â nylon spacers that were 3/8â in diameter (I think! I just made sure that the screw that came with the number fit through the opening in the nylon spacer). Each metal number had 2 screw holes, so I marked where the screw holes would be on the Wediboard. The Wediboard is ýâ thick. The 1â spacers are then recessed into & through the Wediboard ýâÂÂ. This leaves the remaining ýâ of the spacer sticking out from the WediboardâÂÂs front surface, and ý inch into the Wediboard, pushed through and stopped - flush with the backside surface. I set these in place with E6000. This is before I started the mosaic work. The numbers were then set into place over the spacers after the mosaic work & the grouting were completed, being very careful not to dislodge the spacers from the Wediboard. The screws for each number go through the number itself, through the 1â spacer, and needs to stick out about ýâ on the backside of the Wediboard (You may have to buy longer screws; I did). I used all stainless steel screws, washers & nuts. I also added more E6000 glue as I tightened the screws onto the nuts. By tightened, I donâÂÂt mean TIGHT, because the Wediboard has lots of âÂÂgiveâ to it. Just secure the numbers in place without muscle! I didnâÂÂt want the screws to stick out on the back & scratch the aluminum siding, so I bought some plastic nut covers to place over the ends, using more E6000. Those numbers are going no where!!!

Have I confused you?

One regret⦠everything about the house sign is Art Deco EXCEPT the numbers. I could have ordered Art Deco numbers, but they would have cost 4Xs more that the standard black metal numbers that you find at hardware stores. The Art Deco numbers would have been so cool, and worth the extra money.

Susan G

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Thank you, Susan :-) I'll save that reply to My Clippings. Not (too) confused, lol! I get how you set up to be able to eventually screw in the numbers, but still was able to complete the mosaic that was under the letters. Very clever method. And, I agree - the art deco numbers would have been very cool, but this really does look spectacular as is, so well done!

Patty S.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    9 years ago

Really, really wonderful!

Sponsored